Ever wished your cat could understand you for just a few seconds...

2»

Comments

• RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    That did make me laugh :D

Yes, i wished my cat could understand me last Tuesday. I had to have her put to sleep as she was old and had trouble breathing. I held her tightly, cried into her neck and told her i loved her.

I hope she understood.

Ahh Porcupine, of course she would have understood!!! And I bet she had been with you so long she knew how much she was loved...
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "cats live in the present". In a way they do, but they clearly remember where good (and bad) things happened, know where the food comes from and know that specific behaviours can cause things to happen, like getting fed or being let out. As predators, they have to have fairly sophisticated minds as hunting is a demanding way of feeding oneself compared to grazing.

They also clearly have what can only be called emotions, and I'd say I've seen frustration, greed, hate and jealousy from mine. Not sure they do love but it feels like it when they cuddle up and purr!

Do I want to understand what mine are thinking? Maybe not - it might not be nice about me!
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    My little kitty girl has different meows for different things, so I am (still, after 9 years) learning to understand her.

If she did understand me for a few minutes, I would tell her how much I love her, how important she is to me, and when I do really cruel and nasty things (i.e. take her in the car to the vet, for which, in her opinion, I should be reported to the RSPCA!!), it is only for her own good and I would never do anything to hurt her (even if I do let the vet prod her about and stick nasty painful needles in her!)

As long as it was only for a few minutes - I really wouldn't want her to understand everything I say all the time :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HollyC wrote: »
    My little kitty girl has different meows for different things, so I am (still, after 9 years) learning to understand her.

My boy has meows for: "Hey, there's my mate." (Next door's cat.) "Wanna go play."

And "Look at the birdies! Wanna go hunt."

Also "F-e-e-d m-e n-o-w."

The panicked "I've got to poo, let me out!"

(Regarding the last meow, he does use his litter tray, but he prefers going outside!)

He also huffs and puffs when he wants out and I won't let him because it's dark, in the deep of the night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    my kitten chester, I say kitten but she is nearly a year old lol loves to greet me every morning with a face rub and purring her head off. also when I am outside when she is, she does a short double meow and I say her name back and she does the meow again, if I dont answer sh gets detressed and starts yowling
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, i wished my cat could understand me last Tuesday. I had to have her put to sleep as she was old and had trouble breathing. I held her tightly, cried into her neck and told her i loved her.

I hope she understood.

Oh Porcupine, that made me cry. I actually have tears rolling down my cheeks.

You were there for her and clearly from the way you describe letting her go gave her a lovely life. I have no doubt she understood.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hope she understood.

Awww Porcupine. That is so sad.

But I'm sure your cat loved you as much as you did them and just by hugging her and cuddling her, she went onto a happier place with her last thoughts being of you.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much. I miss my cats more than anything. In 6 months, 3 of my beloved cats have died of old age. They were all 18 (or approaching 18).

Now, all my little feline friends have gone, and clearing away their bowls, litter tray .... toys, was the hardest thing i have ever done. My heart literally ached.

I cried for 4 days, but now i just get upset when im alone with my thoughts.

I appreciate all your kind words.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think cats are more perceptive than you think. About a year ago I fell quite badly in my kitchen, almost like a shot the cat ran over to me, put both her paws on my shoulder and started whimpering. I was in pain but was so touched by what she'd just done. She sat with me until I'd managed to get up and wouldn't leave me alone for the rest of the day.

I think they do know you love them which is why they react like that. She'll show you in her own time - although I hope for your sake it doesn't take a fall for her to show it!

When I fell over a few days ago, my cats did similar; however I get the feeling they were checking my tin-opening hand wasn't damaged. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do sometimes wish they could talk. They have such strong personalities, I sometimes laugh to realise they have established them without a single word.

One of mine would sound like Margot from the Good Life, the other more like Jimmy Krankee.
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was cooking dinner recently I spent a good twenty minutes chattering to my cat who was curled up perfectly peacefully by the kitchen door.

It was only when I put the main light on to do the washing up that I realised I'd been talking to my handbag.

Oh that's brilliant :D:D:D
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always talk to my cat. Always say good bye when I go to work and greet him when I return.

He has a girl-friend a pretty little tortie, and when he comes in from playing with her I ask if he's had a nice time, and he either answers with a trilling meow or a 'huh' type of noise, presumably the latter is when she's been an impossible female :rolleyes:
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Oh that's brilliant :D:D:D

I bent to stroke my daugher's slippers just yesterday.
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »

I've have just PMSL :D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »

:D

To put the slipper on the other paw, so to speak, when we got a new flip top bin my cat jumped onto it and went straight through the lid.

She then stayed in there pretending she'd done it on purpose.