Options

Select Transmitter Option - Sony KDL-40EX523

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
Hi,

I have lost several digital TV channels on my Sony TV and have very poor reception on many others; I think it is because the TV is picking up the signal from the wrong transmitter. I have tried to auto tuning but am still missing a significant amount of channels (ITV, C4 etc). I used to be able to select the TV Region (I am on the Waltham transmitter) following a factory reset, but this option no longer seems a part of that reset. Manual tuning using the info from the coverage checker on www.digitaluk.co.uk has also been unsuccessful.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, you should NOT have retuned until you had eliminated every other possible cause of the problem. All that you have done is make it a bit more difficult to know when the fault is fixed.

There could be a whole raft of reasons why the channels have gone and cannot be got back. Most of them are aerial system based. That is why retune should always be the last option and never the first as you can't diagnose an aerial fault properly if there are no channels stored by the TV.

Anyway, you need to go over the aerial system carefully. Check all cables and connectors. If the aerial lands on a wall plate take it off and check the termination. With all connections look for stray strands of screen braid that have worked loose and could be touching the inner conductor. Only needs one to screw things up and that can be difficult to spot.

Check all cables for signs of damage. If the cable runs outdoors any splits can let in rain water which will degrade performance. If possible check the condition of the aerial and make sure it is still pointing in the right direction. If the aerial is loft mounted have you moved or added to the stuff in there as that can affect performance in random and often adverse ways.

Also round the back of the telly untangle the cables and keep the aerial lead as physically separate as possible. If there is a wall plate change the lead from wall to TV if possible.

If there are any amplifiers in the system make sure they are powered and working correctly. If you have a splitter of some sort to feed multiple rooms check all the connections to it. If possible try bypassing any splitter to feed the aerial directly to one of the rooms and test to see if there is any reception.

Now you know why you should not have retuned :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice. Tried the aerial cable, starting at the TV and worked my way back.
    Turns out that I had plugged it into the wrong socket on the wall! All channels now restored.
    Thanks again.