60" plasma tv

I read there was a limit on how big they can sell tv's for power use or something? Was it not about 50"? Noticed there's a 6" tv for sale in Currys or Comet so have they allowed them to 60" now? How long before 70"?

Comments

• call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    There is no limit other than demand and technical issues. Plenty of 70" tv's out there at the moment already...
    Even PCWorld are selling an 80" model...See here.
    :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Intuitively, I think there is a limit for plasma tv sizes as most tv industries target household consumers. However, plasma tv is great for its vibrant colors, even though people used to be skeptical about plasma screens because of the fact that it leaked gas and the lifespan was only around 5 years.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....., even though people used to be skeptical about plasma screens because of the fact that it leaked gas and the lifespan was only around 5 years.

The word 'fact' should be replaced with 'myth' or even 'scare-mongering'
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    people used to be skeptical about plasma screens because of the fact that it leaked gas and the lifespan was only around 5 years.

They can't 'leak gas' as they don't contain gas - they actually contain a partial vacuum, and if air leaks IN the panel is ruined. I've no idea where all utter this rubbish about gas and requiring refilling ever came from?.

'Life' isn't any specific time, most plasma failures are panel faults rather than 'wearing out', just the same as with LCD panels.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there have been 103" plasmas out for a good while now. 60"s have been out for many years
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, what is the expected "Life" of modern screens. I read that it's somewhere in the region of 60,000 hours, which seems fair to me. My TV is on an average of 8 hours per day and I upgrade to a newer model around every 3-5 years, depending on finances of course.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harrods are selling Panasonic's 152" plasma. £600,000 and subject to a house survey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    webbie wrote: »
    Harrods are selling Panasonic's 152" plasma. £600,000 and subject to a house survey.

I'm heading down to London during the summer hols and i'm gonna go have a look at it lol. According to an article about them. Panasonic have sold 31 so far.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm heading down to London during the summer hols and i'm gonna go have a look at it lol. According to an article about them. Panasonic have sold 31 so far.

yeah, i bought 30. the wife went MENTAL!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You'd have to build your house around the Panasonic 152". :eek:
    http://www.instablogsimages.com/1/2012/03/24/panasonics_152_inch_tv_bsmul.jpg
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    People would still moan about how rubbish their SD picture looked on that telly.
    Forum Member
    Just out of curiosity, what is the expected "Life" of modern screens. I read that it's somewhere in the region of 60,000 hours, which seems fair to me. My TV is on an average of 8 hours per day and I upgrade to a newer model around every 3-5 years, depending on finances of course.

As I've already mentioned, 'life' is pretty meaningless - the estimates given (and they are only estimates!) - is based on the brightness reducing until it's too low to be used. Mostly the panel (or the rest of the set) has developed a serious fault before then, scrapping the set.

But overall, decent make LCD/Plasma are considerably MORE reliable that CRT ever was - according to personal experience, plus insurance and large rental statistics.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I've already mentioned, 'life' is pretty meaningless - the estimates given (and they are only estimates!) - is based on the brightness reducing until it's too low to be used. Mostly the panel (or the rest of the set) has developed a serious fault before then, scrapping the set.

But overall, decent make LCD/Plasma are considerably MORE reliable that CRT ever was - according to personal experience, plus insurance and large rental statistics.

Is there still a large TV rental market with the likes of Asda selling 32" TVs for less than £180?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    There is one apparently but it's a mere shadow of it's former self....Certainly no hight street presence. As you point out, it would seem hardly worth while....
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Is there still a large TV rental market with the likes of Asda selling 32" TVs for less than £180?

As call100 has mentioned, it's a shadow of what it was - but there are still a few big players in the rental market.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Plasma TVs only have an advantage over LED TVs in picture quality in darkened rooms. As far as power consumption, heat emission, brightness, ecofriendly, and lifespan LED TVs are the better bet. I would however say Plasma TVs are better than active LED sets like Sony and Samsung. Passive LED sets (LG, toshiba) own plasmas.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing these tv's can really be good for is Super HD in the future.
  • moogheadmooghead Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you imagine playing a driving sim in front of one of those things.. in one of those driving sim chairs.. with a steering wheel and pedals and all that!!