Options

PVR-9150T Picture/Signal is weak

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
Hello,

Recently I have noticed that the picture on my Humax 9150T has started jumping, like the signal is weak, it has become unwatchable.

I have tried the humax in another room which has another humax plugged into it and it still seems broken.

I have tested the wire and the arial outlet by plugging it directly into my tv and it works fine.

I have tried setting one channel to record on the 1st tuner, then switching channels so it uses the second tuner and I THINK the picture is OK. It doesn't seem to jump.

Is it likely that the first tuner is broken? Are they replaceable? Is there anything else it might be?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skeldave wrote: »
    Is it likely that the first tuner is broken? Are they replaceable? Is there anything else it might be?
    Possible causes are that the box is mistuned or there is a problem with the tuner or the cable connecting the Humax to the aerial has a marginal joint or a kink. If in your testing you used a different cable then the third possible problem is eliminated. I would try a manual tune using the Biggles instructions at Link to Biggles Manual Tuning Instructions (Post #2)
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hav recently purchased a humax 1800 pvr cos my venerable long service vestel t825 could no longer cope with constant piddling and fiddling changes to the freeview system ........ the humax is surprisingly badly designed. One issue is very poor rf design, with the aerial cable highly susceptible to induction from the external dc power supply cable, if that is anywhere near and parallel to the aerial lead. If the older 9150 is anything like that, then you could try separating out antenna and power leads. If they have to cross somewhere, then make sure its at right angles and not parallel ........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies, I will try a manual tuning and report back.

The wires were not touching or running parallel at all so I can't see that being the problem.
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skeldave wrote: »
    The wires were not touching or running parallel at all so I can't see that being the problem.
    But that isn't the problem I described. For reasons that I don't understand, Humax boxes can display problems with marginal cables or cable joints that other equipment will tolerate. The things to check are that any joints in the cable are properly made and have no stray strands of wire and the the cable itself has no kinks nor any trace of water in the insulation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just manually retuned the humax and it seems to be working! Hopefully it will persist.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that isn't the problem I described. For reasons that I don't understand, Humax boxes can display problems with marginal cables or cable joints that other equipment will tolerate. The things to check are that any joints in the cable are properly made and have no stray strands of wire and the the cable itself has no kinks nor any trace of water in the insulation.

having purchased one, I can confirm this. Part of my own problem is probably an audio cable with a belling lee plug on end into aerial socket. which is not a great idea, but gave my previous Vestels no trouble at all! Will use a proper connection and see how much this affects things .............
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...... and a proper aerial connection with no audio cable has made big difference. But it must be said that the r.f. input design is poor. Which seems to be the general opinion after some online browsing .......