Options

Cornflour

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
Is it possible that Asda's own brand cornflour could taste any different from other brands ?
My wife insists that gravy made with Asda cornflour tastes awful, but I say it's a figment of her imagination !

Comments

• Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cornflour is just that, no added ingredients!
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried Tesco own brand cornflour, used it to thicken a sauce I was making, it was awful.
    Brown and Polson is the only one I will buy now. I don't know what the difference is, but there is a definite difference in quality.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    You shouldn't be able to taste cornflour at all. If you can, you've not given the sauce or gravy enough cooking time after adding the cornflour. You have to 'cook out' the floury taste.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You as has been suggested need to cook it longer to cook off the floury taste. Made properly you shouldn't taste cornflour at all although it can be made of various things maize mostly.
  • Options
    HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Bollocks! I knew there was something else I needed when I was out at the shops earlier.
  • Options
    ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    ^^^^:D:D:D^^^^ Hahaha
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Is it possible that Asda's own brand cornflour could taste any different from other brands ?
    My wife insists that gravy made with Asda cornflour tastes awful, but I say it's a figment of her imagination !
    Really there's only one way to find out isn't there.
  • Options
    BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    China Girl wrote: »
    I tried Tesco own brand cornflour, used it to thicken a sauce I was making, it was awful.
    Brown and Polson is the only one I will buy now. I don't know what the difference is, but there is a definite difference in quality.
    Perhaps their supplier uses poor quality maize?
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    China Girl wrote: »

It's probably made of horse meat