Options

BBC 4 22:50 These Four Walls

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
Kinda antidote to Benefits street according to the TV review I saw.

These Four Walls
Five stories of aspiration against a background of poverty and austerity. With the aim of finding the real people behind familiar media stereotypes, documentary-maker Peter Gordon travels through Yorkshire and talks to some of those struggling through hard times.

Fran and her daughter Niamh live in one of the most deprived parts of Leeds in a house whose fabric is falling apart. Niamh, without telling her mother, applied for entry to an exclusive fee-paying school, one she has always dreamed of attending. She won a bursary.

Comments

• Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This will NOT get 5 million gorping viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    This will NOT get 5 million gorping viewers.

Well that goes without saying, doesn't it?
    BBC 4 quite late, no repeated trailers, this will disappear without trace, but it'll be interesting of the few of us who like this sort of thing.

Telegraph review.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Laptop on a rota basis and paid for in Chocolate :)
    Niamh's Mum is certainly giving a good account of herself IMO.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This programme illustrates the reality of poverty without deriving anger from the viewer. It is more naturalistic in its' style of presentation and there is no humor, just very matter of fact. This makes for a more heightened piece of work in my opinion.
  • Options
    cantelpitcantelpit Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Heartbreaking but not sensationalist
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was depressing, wish I'd known there was a cot death involved.

Just found out it was made by the Joseph Roundtree trust and 'aired' on the Guardian website in 2012 as a series of shorts.
    Shame BBC Four couldn't have given it a bit more fanfare, especially given the noise over Benefits street, not that I watched it.

Telegraph review
    Reviewer seems to have a bit of a downer on the fact that Charlotte was interviewed while the kids were up and about, and the place was a bit messy, and she could have been interviewed when the kids were asleep apparently.
    Well that's what a house is like at times when you've got small children it's a bit messy while things get done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a shame this programme was shown so late and on a Sunday night. I hope they repeat it and at a more sociable hour, as it desereves to be seen by far more people than it no doubt was.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed that, BBC4 did a series of programmes based on the Rowntrees archive a few years ago. There were three or four of them and they compared people in the early 20th Century with ones today.

One was based on a diary kept by one man who was out of work. The diary was anonymised but they managed to identify the family and where they lived which was part of an archaeological survey so they could walk around the basement of the house. They then found descendants and took them to the place where he lived.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JeannieMac wrote: »
    What a shame this programme was shown so late and on a Sunday night. I hope they repeat it and at a more sociable hour, as it desereves to be seen by far more people than it no doubt was.

Looks like that's the only broadcast it's going to get, looking at the webpage, another 6 days on the Iplayer.
    It could be a rights issue, similar to the BBC's Timeshift strand as it's bought-in content.
    I can only guess it was someone at the BBC's pet project to get it aired at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Missed that, BBC4 did a series of programmes based on the Rowntrees archive a few years ago. There were three or four of them and they compared people in the early 20th Century with ones today.

One was based on a diary kept by one man who was out of work. The diary was anonymised but they managed to identify the family and where they lived which was part of an archaeological survey so they could walk around the basement of the house. They then found descendants and took them to the place where he lived.

I think I've got a vague memory of that.
    I remember a chap walking miles into town day in day out looking for work, but finding nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prince Monalulu - I've contacted the Beeb's 'Feedback' and enquired as to whether there's any chance the programme can be repeated at a time when more people are likely to see it - it's highly unlikely, but I thought it was worth a try!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    <snip>
    I can only guess it was someone at the BBC's pet project to get it aired at all.

Caught out by my own 'agenda' here, Rountree Foundation and the BBC have some history of working together before, the Why Poverty season been one.
    So it's not some terrible indictment on TV generally and it takes someone's pet project to get some less sensationalist content on TV.

I'll go away and calm down...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I've got a vague memory of that.
    I remember a chap walking miles into town day in day out looking for work, but finding nothing.

Yes, he was getting up at something like 05:30h every day and walking many miles trying to find work. No sitting at home all day watching Sky Sports on a 60" screen in those days!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeannieMac wrote: »
    Prince Monalulu - I've contacted the Beeb's 'Feedback' and enquired as to whether there's any chance the programme can be repeated at a time when more people are likely to see it - it's highly unlikely, but I thought it was worth a try!

Might be worth asking the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, they might know if there are repeats.
  • Options
    cantelpitcantelpit Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    What struck me the most was the fact that all participants saw the value of a good education and gaining employment. the homeless young man was regretting missing out at school. The young mum buying books from the charity shop and reading to her children and the pensioners discussing the days spent down the mines. The ambitious young girl saw the contrast between her run down area with its closed down library and the lush surroundings of the grammar school.

All of them had the ambition to get out of the poverty trap through their own efforts, I never got a feeling that they were playing the system at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked as an advice worker for 10 years in two of the most deprived areas of Glasgow, and this programme chimed far more with my experience than the more sensationalist programmes do. It was good to see a recognisable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oops...it was good to see a (to me) more recognisable representation of people trying to survive on benefits.
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlotte would have been getting over £900 cash a month, plus housing and council tax benefit. I don't see how she wouldn't have been able to afford clothes for her kids.
  • Options
    bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone find out if this was being repeated?