Anne Kirkbride dies aged 60 - Deidre Barlow

Comments

• idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    Such a shame. I didn't realise she was ill.

Loved watching her and Blanche together.

A genuinely funny double act. Such a shame, she's been around all my life really.
  • Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan of Corrie, but this is a big shock :cry:

My thoughts are with her family. 60 is far too young.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sorry to read this. Like others, I grew up watching Anne in Corrie. She survived cancer many years ago (can't remember if it was Hodgkins or non-Hodgins Lymphoma). Wonder if it recurred in some other form. Whatever, it's terribly sad. Always heard positive things about her as a person and her voice...iconic.
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocked and saddened to her about Anne passing away.

A truly iconic character much loved by the nation. It was my understanding that she was due to receive a Lifetime Achievement award at the British Soap Awards at some point.

Had no idea at all she was unwell. This explains why she took the extended break. I really thought she had just had enough of constantly having to learn lines every week and wanted some time off. Had no idea of her previous issues and problems either.

:(
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is very sad news. I had no idea she was ill as I don't watch any soaps these days.

Whilst it is decades since I watched Corrie regularly, I still remember the Deirdre-Ken-Mike Baldwin story line as a real soap high point. It was absolutely compelling viewing at the time - I think practically everyone with a TV watched it (possibly not the Queen...)

She always came across as a really down to earth person with a great sense of humour.

RIP Anne - 60 really is too young.
  • MadonnaMIXMadonnaMIX Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    Sad news RIP Anne a true Corrie legend :(

I remember watching the Love triangle with Deirdre Ken & Mike that was classic Corrie
    And in later years The best bit of casting ever was Deirdre & her mum Blanche they were comedy gold together
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems she took time off to fight a recurrence of her cancer.She obviously didn't want anyone to know about it.What a brave lady
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just found out , tragic news RIP :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Whao! Talk about shocked! Can't believe this. She was one of them celebrities/actresses that I expected would carry on acting until she was maybe near 80. Gobsmacked at this.

I know me too ... like Emily and Rita.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    MadonnaMIX wrote: »
    Sad news RIP Anne a true Corrie legend :(

I remember watching the Love triangle with Deirdre Ken & Mike that was classic Corrie
    And in later years The best bit of casting ever was Deirdre & her mum Blanche they were comedy gold together

Yep it was a classic time. Huge storyline and Huge glasses too :). Then the 'Free Deirdre' era when Parliament got behind the campaign too.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure we'll find out just why she died soon enough.
    So sad, a true soap legend that will go down in history.
  • MoontakerMoontaker Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems she took time off to fight a recurrence of her cancer.She obviously didn't want anyone to know about it.What a brave lady

She didn't die from the same illness and the family don't want the media to speculate. If you read between the lines of the DM article it's not difficult to work out how she died. However she died her passing is sad and sad that it has to be hidden too.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A real shock to hear about this tonight. She still seemed young. Very sad and sorry for Anne and her family.

I used to watch Corrie but haven't followed it in recent times so I hadn't known about her being absent.

Brings it ever closer to home when it happens to people we have followed for so many years.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news. I'm shocked at how much this has upset me, Corrie will probably never be the same. Can't believe that we won't ever hear the words "Ken! Do something!" ever again. The Barlows have always provided so many "lighter" moments, Deidre's famous chain belt even had it's own thread on the soap forum, they've made me laugh so much over the years.

RIP Anne. You will be very sadly missed by many! Thanks for the memories! :(
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was she suffering from an illness for awhile?

RIP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    I'm sure we'll find out just why she died soon enough.
    So sad, a true soap legend that will go down in history.

She was a smoker.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, this is very sad news that I am shocked to hear about. Deirdre was a great character alongside her mother Blanche and her husband Ken. This must be a shock for all her fellow cast members. My condolences to her family and friends as well as everyone on Coronation Street.
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R.I.P. Deidre.
  • itsy bitsyitsy bitsy Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So very sorry to hear this. Anne's portrayal of Deidre was brilliant and her infamous wail of 'Tracey luv' will be etched in my memory forever. :(
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And they say cancer survival rates are improving..
  • waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    She was a smoker.

Pretty sure that smoking has never been linked to brain tumors!

Lung cancer & Heart disease are a smokers big risks ( 1 in 4 people carry the lung cancer gene http://www.medicaldaily.com/25-smokers-carry-newly-discovered-genetic-link-lung-cancer-285842

Smokers who don't carry it could easily live to be 100
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never really watched Corrie but Anne was a soap legend and I was shocked and saddened to hear of her passing. :(
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,102
    Forum Member
    Gutted to lose Anne, I told my mum and she was absolutely gobsmacked, she's one of those people I can't imagine not having on my TV.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible news Anne has been on Coronation Street my whole life. She was my late grand parents, my parents and my favourite character. There are so many memorable scenes on YouTube but it won't be the same. I loved Anne's scenes with the lady who played Blanche. This will be a terrible loss to the cast, crew and the show.

R.I.P Ann Kirkbride you will be missed.
  • Brenno50Brenno50 Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    She was a smoker.

So I know a girl who died at about 45 who was not a smoker, she said to me
    it's not fair because she didn't smoke (I do), I kind of agreed, but a lot of people
    who don't smoke also die, many of them when young.