Options

Cucumber Banana Tofu

Comments

• Options
    Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohhhhh nooooo . I'm just watching it on plus 1 . haven't got to that bit yet. I love lance :(
  • Options
    Fatima502Fatima502 Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Nat28 wrote: »
    Ohhhhh nooooo . I'm just watching it on plus 1 . haven't got to that bit yet. I love lance :(

Watch Banana on E4+1 after, it will have a soothing effect
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hadn't realised they'd cancelled Cucumber and replaced it with a much better drama from RTD. That was excellent - and the cameo from Hazel was much appreciated, although was that really Hazel? She seemed to turn into someone else at the very end. Maybe he just imagined her, as he was a QAF fan?!

Also, sadly, I feel it was so much better than normal because Freddie and Henry were barely in it. It felt like a grown-up standalone episode of Banana.

Had Cucumber started like that - with a dirving narrative rather than a load of old gay cobblers, it might have grown its audience, not seen it shrivel.

Such a shame. RTD really is an excellent writer, when the circumstances (and subject matter) are right.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I hadn't realised they'd cancelled Cucumber and replaced it with a much better drama from RTD. That was excellent - and the cameo from Hazel was much appreciated, although was that really Hazel? She seemed to turn into someone else at the very end. Maybe he just imagined her, as he was a QAF fan?!

Also, sadly, I feel it was so much better than normal because Freddie and Henry were barely in it. It felt like a grown-up standalone episode of Banana.

Had Cucumber started like that - with a dirving narrative rather than a load of old gay cobblers, it might have grown its audience, not seen it shrivel.

Such a shame. RTD really is an excellent writer, when the circumstances (and subject matter) are right.

There's a few comments in here related to your Hazel point:- http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-02-26/russell-t-davies-id-long-wanted-to-write-a-death-that-feels-like-a-death
  • Options
    JulessJuless Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    It was great to see Hazel again, although I only recognised her by her voice. I'm sad she came to an early end, she was a great character.
  • Options
    CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    No way, the sense of dread building throughout is what made the episode so powerful, IMO.

That was incredibly powerful TV. I fully agree, the sense of dread building as I awaited Lance's fate was quite unexpected. Shocking stuff.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »

What a brilliant interview.
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for this.

Fantastic, fantastic interview.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    _elly001 wrote: »
    What a brilliant interview.

Indeed - I love interviews like this where you get a real insight into the writing process. It's a shame that Cucumber was dismissed by so many when it first started, as it's turned into a very different animal tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes thanks for the link. I swear I hadn't seen it before I posted my comment. I did think she might be an invention of his mind.

My preferred interpretation is that he imagined her during a flashback, having seen her out and about on Canal Street in "real life", rather than seeing her on the telly show QAF, as that's just too meta for me.

Good interview.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is it that he liked about Daniel? Why was he so besotted by him? Why could he not resist him?

I knew he was trouble - the peacock squawking "look at me" dominating the room. I just wasn't sure in what way he'd be trouble, I suppose that's what made him attractive after Henry being so standoffish and middle-aged.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow - what an episode, so well put together I felt real shocked at the end although it was clearly signposted through out the episode. Sticking with the show really paid off tonight.
  • Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the caption at the beginning, so that made it shocking for me.
  • Options
    cuttlefishspikecuttlefishspike Posts: 5,761
    Forum Member

What a super interview! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's an, admittedly out there, theory.

At the start of this episode we sae Lance in the shop pushing the trolley for once, and then we are told he is dead. So, what if, Henry is also dead, he kills himself out of grief at the end of the series, and all these shots of him in the supermarket are flashbacks, because the shop is some sort of metaphor for the afterlife?

Otherwise, what was the significane of showing Lance doing what Henry does every episode?

RTD has confirmed there won't be a second series, so, anything could happen really...

Perhaps Freddie's shamed teacher sex buddy comes back for revenge and this time kills Freddie or Henry. Either way, I am starting to think Henry is gonna die too.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    I missed the caption at the beginning, so that made it shocking for me.

I liked the addition of the caption at the beginning. It was a WTF moment & I'm pleased we weren't patronised by the writers. Knowing what was coming (& probably how) added to the sense of dread throughout the ep. The death itself was shocking although it was clearly signposted. The last 5 mins, with the psychotic lover, the sudden act of violence & the death scene flashback were all excellent. Powerful stuff.

That guy Daniel was bad news from the beginning. Creepy vibes from the start.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed the spoiler as I make a point of hitting FF or the 30 second jump button when I see the station logo - I despair of being told that a programme contains XYZ. I'll discover it for myself.
  • Options
    PuddinPuddin Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    Wow. Speechless.

This was the first episode of all of the series I watched (cucumber), and I only watched it because my friend was in it!

It was brilliant, the end was haunting and I was tense throughout. Gutted I've not watched it all. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Here's an, admittedly out there, theory.

At the start of this episode we sae Lance in the shop pushing the trolley for once, and then we are told he is dead. So, what if, Henry is also dead, he kills himself out of grief at the end of the series, and all these shots of him in the supermarket are flashbacks, because the shop is some sort of metaphor for the afterlife?

Otherwise, what was the significane of showing Lance doing what Henry does every episode?

Because it was Lance's episode. Henry, for once, was a supporting character.

It's highly unlikely Henry is dead also. That would be playing the same trick twice.

The next two eps will be repercussions of Lance's death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Puddin wrote: »
    Wow. Speechless.

This was the first episode of all of the series I watched (cucumber), and I only watched it because my friend was in it!

It was brilliant, the end was haunting and I was tense throughout. Gutted I've not watched it all. :(

ETA: as I'd not watched any others I was oblivious to the fact that it was forseen that Lance died, so came as a HUGE shock.

Trust me, you started watching at exactly the right time. The first five eps were largely rubbish.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Shocking. And made all the more so by the dent in the side of his head afterwards. :o
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trust me, you started watching at exactly the right time. The first five eps were largely rubbish.

yep. If the Quality had been this good from the start RTD would have delivered a cracker of series.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Surely that means he's quite limited?!
  • Options
    marsha_Cutiepiemarsha_Cutiepie Posts: 9,721
    Forum Member
    Had to comment having watched the episode on 4OD. OMG am speechless, it was so well done! :o

I thought the show up to now was poor, henry is selfish and nnnoying, and freddie and dean are PAINFUL and just so ott and annoying. I also think Hayley from Corries characer is really annoying too, even though some seem to like her.

But tonight from the start was just really poignant, to see Lances back story was great, and all of the supporting characters in his stroy, his dad, his sister etc felt real not the 2-d stereotypes we are seeing week in, week out. Lance also is the ONLY character who is appealing and it was good to focus on him, and his hopes on a new romance. I also had no idea where the end was going to go and it was done so well, both him and Daniel were fantastic in the final scenes, and the final scene when Lance's life and memories are flashing before him as a tear trickles down his face was just so heartbreaking in its simplicty. :cry: Kudos the actor playing Lance, he was superb tonight, and OMG what an episode, it was just in a different league to the ones before.
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed each episode to a degree, but the series is defnitely a 'grower' - as in each new episode is stronger than the last one. And this episode really ramped things up and took them to a whole new level.

I found the last few moments with Lance heartbreaking. He's by far the loveliest of the gay male characters, and that made his tragic end all the more poignant for me.

The only bit of comfort I can glean from the situation is that at least he finally got to enjoy a few magic moments with pcychopathic Daniel before getting his head caved in.

I also enjoyed witnessing the key moments of Lance's life, this made it so much more moving. I also think that, as sad and deeply affecting as this storyline is, it's good that the issue of repressed sexuality is being highlighted (how the mental pressure caused by society forcing individuals to conform to rigid heterosexual standards can lead to pychotic episodes such as the one we ended up seeing tonight).

ETA: I'm specifically referring to Cucumber here, but the same applies to Banana and Tofu. I think all of them are 'growers'.
This discussion has been closed.