Options

Adele's tax grievances won't resonate with fans

Comments

• Options
    JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    Perdita_x wrote: »
    Woe there horsey!!!! I was privately educated (prep school then secondary school, both Boarding School's) !

Money well spent:D
  • Options
    PADDY75PADDY75 Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perdita_x wrote: »
    Woe there horsey!!!! I was privately educated (prep school then secondary school, both Boarding School's) and I now work and work damn hard. I got my job on my own merits because the people I work for initially recognised my talent and attributes, and I keep it because those same people recognise that I am bloody good at it. I pay more tax than I want to (don't we all?? I'm sure we all get that 'if only the first line was what was going into the bank' feeling when we get our pay slips!) but pay it I do, and I recognise that I must.

What a horribly presumptious generalisation you make!!!

As for Adele....well frankly if you've earned 8 million quid you can bloody well afford to pay 4 million in tax...not like she's going to be scrimping and saving now to survive is it?!? I'll listen to her again when she can't afford to pay her rent / mortgage, bills etc because of the amount she was taxed!!!!

This is type of behaviour is a home from home for many here.
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soullover wrote: »
    If she's paying £4million in tax then she's got another £4 million and more to keep.
    Can't summon up much sympathy I'm afraid ;)

You can't have sympathy that she's obviously earned around £8m+, but only gets to keep £4m herself?

Yes these are massive figures, but it is quite ridiculous that it can be allowed for someone to earn so much money, and the Govt. can just take a massive chunk of it, and as she said, public transport etc is shocking, so she's not getting any benefit from it herself.

To warrant charging such high rates, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect something in return, whether you are paying £400 in tax, or £4m.

Just seems like DS is starting it's usual "Let's hate on someone popular and successful for everything they do to appease our own jealousy" campaign.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The singer claims she wanted to 'buy a gun and randomly open fire' when she saw her recent tax bill

Everyone moans about taxes but that's a pretty scary sounding woman right there! I hope she was joking but she comes across as a bit of a bitch in what few quotes I've read from her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually kind of understand where she's coming from; £4m is a lot of money, regardless of how much you have left over. I think she just worded it very badly and the journalist pounced on that quote.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    everyone has the right to complain about tax, its what we do!
  • Options
    Lady.PenelopeLady.Penelope Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't have sympathy that she's obviously earned around £8m+, but only gets to keep £4m herself?

Yes these are massive figures, but it is quite ridiculous that it can be allowed for someone to earn so much money, and the Govt. can just take a massive chunk of it, and as she said, public transport etc is shocking, so she's not getting any benefit from it herself.

To warrant charging such high rates, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect something in return, whether you are paying £400 in tax, or £4m.

Just seems like DS is starting it's usual "Let's hate on someone popular and successful for everything they do to appease our own jealousy" campaign.

It that seriously how much she has to hand over? holy shit. I would be moaning as well. As would everyone in this thread if they had earned that much money and then were told they had to hand over half of it. I don't believe for one second everyone in here would just happily write out the cheque.
  • Options
    Lady.PenelopeLady.Penelope Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP is a Lady Gaga fan btw and they seem to have the knifes out for Adele at the moment.

For obvious reasons. ;)
  • Options
    spookyelectricspookyelectric Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Just insist on being paid in cash and keep it under the bed in the spare room..then when you need to buy some cakes just dip in...simples!
  • Options
    jack soonjack soon Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Brit School she went to is funded by taxpayers money.
    Maybe we should just close that down.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    The rest of us cant claim clothing as business expenses ..lol
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,007
    Forum Member
    It that seriously how much she has to hand over? holy shit. I would be moaning as well. As would everyone in this thread if they had earned that much money and then were told they had to hand over half of it. I don't believe for one second everyone in here would just happily write out the cheque.

I have on an annual basis, if she can't live on £4m then what is she doing with the money?

If she thinks the tax burden is to high she can always reduce her income to below £32,000 and pay far less tax, some how I don't think she will. :D

She can siphon off a large chunk into a pension and we tax payers will boost it by an extra 40% double what a basic tax payer would get.
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Adele, your music is as dull and boring as is your rants about tax. If you don't like it, piss off
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Superbeast wrote: »
    Rich kid doesn't want to pay their way once they've made it.

I'm sorry, how is this different from virtually every privately educated person in the country who has lived off papa and mummy dearest and got a job through Uncle Roderick at Reuters who then goes "gosh, I didn't know I had to pay taxes!"? She's obviously grown up in a bit of a bubble as a private school student and is now unwilling to part with her money the same way her parents did because she's been raised differently. Not a huge surprise.

Well said. Good thing I didn't pay for her album. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP is a Lady Gaga fan btw and they seem to have the knifes out for Adele at the moment.

For obvious reasons. ;)

I see you're making these generalisations in these forums now. Just stop.
  • Options
    Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I like about Adele is her frankness in interviews.
    She can complain about her tax, everyone does I'm sure ;)

(but honestly girl, in the 50% tax bracket? We should all be so lucky).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont blame her for moaning about the tax I would too ! 4 million is a massive amount to give over and what does the UK have to show for it ? cut backs !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    03mj2808 wrote: »
    i agree with her to be honest, people who are upset with her then are just upset that they don't earn that amount of money
    No, they are upset because she hasn't grasped the elementary principle that society only works if the very rich contribute more towards public services than the poor. I thought it was quite endearing on Graham Norton when she said her electricity had been cut off "because I didn't realize you had to pay for it", but it is perhaps time she understood that life isn't just about accumulating more and more money and sitting on it.
    It doesn't make her a bad person, and she probably isn't greedy, just thoughtless. I bet she's never had a proper job on a normal wage to give her some context into how fortunate she is.
    True. I think it is a phenomenon with those who get very rich very young. Someone who made millions in their 30's would surely have more understanding. The statement, for example, that she shouldn't have to pay any money towards education because state schools are 'shit' is one that only a very very young person is likely to make.
    I actually kind of understand where she's coming from; £4m is a lot of money, regardless of how much you have left over. I think she just worded it very badly and the journalist pounced on that quote.

But these are toytown figures anyway. Someone who earns £8 million doesn't pay £4million in tax. First of all, all her expenses will be deducted, which as a self-employed person will be considerable; then royalty income can be spread over a number of years to minimise the impact of one hugely successful year; then out of what is left the first £150,000 will be taxed at a lower rate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'd happily swap my my minimum wage job and flat for her 50%.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But 4 million compared to what public services need is hardly anything . I bet she'll find a way round it like most rich people do . I love the ones who say their moving because of the press but it's never to the USA or Canada or someplace with basically the same taxes we have X
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK you may have the right to moan about tax but it is wrong to do so. I am happy when my tax bill is high as one, it means my take home pay is high and two, it means I am contributing to society through my taxes. As for Adele I find that neither her singing or her veiws have any worth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alastair_r wrote: »
    But 4 million compared to what public services need is hardly anything . I bet she'll find a way round it like most rich people do . I love the ones who say their moving because of the press but it's never to the USA or Canada or someplace with basically the same taxes we have X

in the usa you actually pay less tax and the poor pay more. like if you own property in some states and are rich you could pay like 17% whereas your secretary could be taxed 30% or more. there's more tax loopholes in the u.s. system as it was designed to benefit the rich and some pay as little as 5%.

as my dad said the poorer you are in the u.s. the less tax loopholes you have.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    OK you may have the right to moan about tax but it is wrong to do so. I am happy when my tax bill is high as one, it means my take home pay is high and two, it means I am contributing to society through my taxes. As for Adele I find that neither her singing or her veiws have any worth.

Good man. :) Or possibly woman. Though I do think she is a talented singer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love people in the USA who don't want to fund healthcare. Why don't they just make all schools private. Maybe make every rape victim or family of someone who has been murdered to pay the cost of finding the person who did it X
  • Options
    dog_eat_dogdog_eat_dog Posts: 3,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least she pays tax, even if it is begrudgingly.

Spare a thought for us here in Ireland, struggling through a recession, and Bono, that tireless poverty campaigner and serial preacher, has made sure he doesn't pay a penny of tax in his own country.

I find that way more offensiver than Adele moaning about paying 4 million to the exchequor.