Options

ITV gearing up for autumn rebrand

tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/itv/itv-gearing-up-for-autumn-rebrand/5036389.article?referrer=RSS
ITV is gearing up for its biggest brand refresh in more than six years as the company’s marketing chief begins to make his mark.

Group marketing and research director Rufus Radcliffe, who joined from Channel 4 in April last year, is examining the broadcaster’s family of channels and is understood to have been given the green light to introduce changes later this year.

Channel logos and on-screen idents are expected to be refreshed, possibly by September, with one source arguing that the company’s marketing had lagged behind some of its rivals in recent years.

You can read the whole article by clicking on my link i just wish ITV put more money in to better TV showa

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Hopefully they don't change much, they had a strong brand, they have just about got a strong brand. Just some tweaks to the logo and new idents
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Can have the best logos' , idents etc but if the programmings a pile of dog doings , then its pointless.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can have the best logos' , idents etc but if the programmings a pile of dog doings , then its pointless.

:)

I like quite a lot of programs on ITV, except Kyle and Essex saga
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC must be planning to update there bbc one indent soon, they have had the same idents for ages.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    About time. ITV's current logo/branding is awful. Very amateurish.

Now all they need to do is improve the quality of programming. ;)
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking only recently that this must be due, as ITV hasn't had a major refresh since 2006. I think the current ITV1 look is excellent though, and has lasted much longer than the celerbrity idents of 2002 and the hearts idents of 1999.
  • Options
    miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As well as a re-brand, it needs to give it's whole output an overhaul. Bring quality to it's schedules. The amount of ads, competitions and other non-programme content needs to be addressed as well. In terms of content, ITV offers me nothing of interest.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't think it needs a rebrand at all. The current look and the whole 'brighter side' element is still pretty fresh feeling.

As others have said, get the programming sorted before the logos!!
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    The BBC must be planning to update there bbc one indent soon, they have had the same idents for ages.

Is it this April that radical changes take place as per programming? Children's coming off BBC1, daytime off BBC2 etc? I would say that if there is any BBC rebrand, the date BBC2 HD launches would be the obvious time to do it!
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The current branding only reminds me of when ITV went really generic back in 2006 and had the blue credits on everything
  • Options
    Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! All
    Well here in the North East when our local news comes on at 6pm they still say "Welcome to the latest news in the Tyne Tees region" so why don't we have the symbols back on the idents to let us know we are watching Tyne Tees?.

Also I have noticed that ITV have started showing news at 9.25am on weekend mornings so why don't they do this during the week, also I feel that the lunchtime news should be moved back to 12.30pm.

Something else I would do is to cut down the amount of episodes of Coronation Street maybe to one less as I feel that the story lines can be a bit far fetched, maybe that is down to the writters sometimes but I think Eastenders only has is it two episodes a week.

So cut Coronation Street down to four episodes a week and put it back on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Also if it works why not bring back Family Fortunes with the public as contestants, and as for dramas why don't we have hour long dramas as hour and a half sometimes drags it out.

Plus make sure that before anything else Daybreak is sorted out, why not try Richard and Judy on it and although that might not be a good idea as both Richard and Judy would probably not want to risk presenting Daybreak. If it is to be a news show then why not get rid of the news reader and have the presenters reading the news as it looks to me from the set that ITV are copying the BBC's Breakfast.

I watched this morning and the colour scheme is more appealing to make people tune in regularly so all they need now is the right presenter line up as well as maybe as I said drop the news presenter as the two presenters could read the news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    Hi! All
    Well here in the North East when our local news comes on at 6pm they still say "Welcome to the latest news in the Tyne Tees region" so why don't we have the symbols back on the idents to let us know we are watching Tyne Tees?.

Also I have noticed that ITV have started showing news at 9.25am on weekend mornings so why don't they do this during the week, also I feel that the lunchtime news should be moved back to 12.30pm.

Something else I would do is to cut down the amount of episodes of Coronation Street maybe to one less as I feel that the story lines can be a bit far fetched, maybe that is down to the writters sometimes but I think Eastenders only has is it two episodes a week.

So cut Coronation Street down to four episodes a week and put it back on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Also if it works why not bring back Family Fortunes with the public as contestants, and as for dramas why don't we have hour long dramas as hour and a half sometimes drags it out.

Plus make sure that before anything else Daybreak is sorted out, why not try Richard and Judy on it and although that might not be a good idea as both Richard and Judy would probably not want to risk presenting Daybreak. If it is to be a news show then why not get rid of the news reader and have the presenters reading the news as it looks to me from the set that ITV are copying the BBC's Breakfast.

I watched this morning and the colour scheme is more appealing to make people tune in regularly so all they need now is the right presenter line up as well as maybe as I said drop the news presenter as the two presenters could read the news.

The news at 12:30 and Loose Women go bad ratings that is why they were moved. I do think Corrie and Emmerdale should run 4 days a week at the same time. Emmerdale at 7, a new current affairs show at 7:30 and Corrie at 8. Leaving room for Dramas, Current affair shows, documentaries.

Getting rid of the news reader on Daybreak would just see it as a clone. Why not have a three presenter idea, with the third presenter also reading the news, a bit like shows abroad do. Also the show has become more newsy, would still like presenter interaction though, at the moment it seems to 'AutoQued' I like it when the presenters talk in between items. Also while on the Daybreak story, Lucy is leaving for the US next week so wonder who we could de on the news desk. I would like it to be Helen Fospero!

I would also extend Daybreak until 9, with Daybreak until 10 with an opt out at 9:22 - 9:25 for STV and UTV to get there branding in. And get Daybreak on the weekends, might get better viewing figures as people want lighter stuff on weekends!
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    OPs thread title is misleading, it's not a rebrand it's a brand refresh.

A 'refresh' is new logos, colour schemes, design and marketing taglines etc. for the existing brand identity, a 'rebrand' changed the identity.

An example of a 'rebrand' would be Marathon becoming Snickers, or ITV becoming 'Channel Three'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    phil solo wrote: »

A 'refresh' is new logos, colour schemes, design and marketing taglines etc. for the existing brand identity, a 'rebrand' changed the identity.

An example of a 'rebrand' would be Marathon becoming Snickers, or ITV becoming 'Channel Three'.

Rebrand could also mean to change the logos.
    Rebranding is the creation of a new name, term, symbol, design, or a combination of them for an established brand with the intention of developing a differentiated (new) position in the mind of stakeholders and competitors
  • Options
    hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Refresh is normally when the channel just edits the current look like ITV1 did in 2009 with the edited logo and a few new idents added.

If they change the logo completely, have completely new idents but keep the same channel names, that is still a rebrand as its changing the branding.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    It's a bit of a shame really - the last rebrand was a bit of a disaster IMO and after a few years of refreshing they've only recently got it just right. ITV1 in particular has a really strong identity now. The risk is the next one might not be as strong.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so glad ITV have told us about this, so far in advance.

Autumn is a long time away.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    I am so glad ITV have told us about this, so far in advance.

Autumn is a long time away.

ITV haven't officially told anybody anything. It's not an official statement.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member

You'd be better off complaining to Broadcast - the thread title is based on their news story of the same title.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This news put a smile on my face. I think the ITV brand has been damaged since 2006, and that's in terms of a poor on-screen identity and programming that hasn't necessarily been up to standard since the days gone by. I do, and always will, associate the yellow ITV box with the 'cheap days' of ITV. I've been dying for a rebrand for quite some time, and I hope the programming changes significantly with it.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV's current brand is terrible and I doubt it will get any better.

On the subject of idents I think there bland and clapped out. how many times have they refreshed in the last 6 years? allot more than BBC One.

BBC One idents have lasted almost 6 years so they've done well. They've still got some life in them but I think there approaching a refresh as well.
  • Options
    Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope ITV do something about the generic end credits.
    White on black. So dull and uninteresting.
    Maybe its a chance to dump the` high sugar piss` yellow of the ITV1 logo and promos.

Yes, mention the regions more. ITV had a loyal following when it had its regional identitys too.
  • Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At last! Thought the new team would never get round to it. Let's hope it's a decent refresh, I've never been totally convinced by ITV's 'National' branding since 2002.

I do hope that dreadful music goes too...
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I preferred the blue/yellow ITV1 logo pre 2006. Look forward to seeing hopefully stronger ldent/logos
    tothegrand wrote: »

Not with their budget of £0 at the moment...
  • Options
    NetizenNetizen Posts: 5,041
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be opposed to an entirely new corporate identity - ITV hasn't had a truly distinctive logo since the 90's (silver letters and blue V), but that one didn't age well. Why doesn't one of the longest running TV networks in the world have an iconic symbol? Several of the regional logos certainly were, but they are never coming back, so get used to it.