Options

BT Customer Services - Lying Barstewards

Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Had to call the BT 0800 number on Wednesday for some help. Turns out that as the account is in my other halfs name they couldn't talk to me directly and the Operator said they would call between 5.30 and 6.30pm that night.

You know what I'm going to say so I shan't bother. They also didn't call last night and still my problem goes unresolved.

So far BT are 2 for 2 when it comes to customer (dis) satisfaction.

So if anyone from BT is reading this, your overseas operators are lying scumbags and you've just lost another customer.

Comments

• Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if anyone from BT is reading this......
    Unlikely, but on here the mods are BT staff and, as long as you treat them with respect and wait a few days as well, they may well be able to get your original problem resolved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Unlikely, but on here the mods are BT staff and, as long as you treat them with respect and wait a few days as well, they may well be able to get your original problem resolved.

Why should I have to wait a few days, the operator offered those times to me, I didn't dictate them to her. If I was to tell someone that I would call them between specific times, I would damn well make sure I called them. Maybe BT operatives overseas are taught to lie with impunity, they certainly do it with great skill.
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume it is too difficult to get your other half, as the account holder, to give them a call?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timboy wrote: »
    I presume it is too difficult to get your other half, as the account holder, to give them a call?

It would be the easiest thing in the world to do this. One part of me says get her to do it but the other part of me says, d'ya know what, I 've had it up to here with BT's lies and it's time for a change.

This is not the first time I've been lied to by BT and I said after the first instance that I wouldn't extend my contract beyond the first year but this has made my mind up for me.

I hope I'm an isolated case but, as I've said, I've needed to call for help twice and been lied to twice so my business will now go elsewhere.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be the easiest thing in the world to do this. One part of me says get her to do it but the other part of me says, d'ya know what, I 've had it up to here with BT's lies and it's time for a change.

This is not the first time I've been lied to by BT and I said after the first instance that I wouldn't extend my contract beyond the first year but this has made my mind up for me.

I hope I'm an isolated case but, as I've said, I've needed to call for help twice and been lied to twice so my business will now go elsewhere.

If anything happens, they can easily get out of it by just saying that you're not the account holder. Why phone them about a problem when you're not the account holder? You can't really expect anything else. It sounds like you're trying to make things as difficult as possible for yourself with this while at the same time, expecting BT's customer service to just start talking to someone who's not the account holder.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't the account holder give permission for others to speak to customer service? On Sky as long as you know the account holders name, address and password they'll talk to you no problem.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Can't the account holder give permission for others to speak to customer service? On Sky as long as you know the account holders name, address and password they'll talk to you no problem.

Some companies are okay with this and some can be bloody awkward sods.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the account was in my wife's name at an old address, BT were a right royal pain in the arse when it come to me trying to sort a problem out. We even setup a password for me to use and they still wouldn't sort out the problem.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should I have to wait a few days, the operator offered those times to me,
    I was not talking about your problem with the call centre. The mods may be able to help you with the original problem, but they are not connected with the call centre. The mods do take a few days to initiate an investigation into a problem, but at least they may actually manage to do something for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It isn't your contract to extend.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should I have to wait a few days, the operator offered those times to me, I didn't dictate them to her. If I was to tell someone that I would call them between specific times, I would damn well make sure I called them. Maybe BT operatives overseas are taught to lie with impunity, they certainly do it with great skill.

You are making a lot of assumptions but there are two sides of the story, if I was a BT employee dealing with you I'd be reluctant to deal with someone with an attitude like yours.

They are not allowed to discuss any aspect of the account with you as it alone would be a breach of customer confidentiality and DPA, I have had problems with them myself but acting like a jerk and calling them liars won't get your problem sorted, you have been given advice on how to contact the via bt community forums so get they account holder to deal with it.

Deary me no one is that busy they cannot initiate contact with BT, your OH needs to put down the Big Mac and fries and deal with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    If anything happens, they can easily get out of it by just saying that you're not the account holder. Why phone them about a problem when you're not the account holder? You can't really expect anything else. It sounds like you're trying to make things as difficult as possible for yourself with this while at the same time, expecting BT's customer service to just start talking to someone who's not the account holder.

At the time I wasn't sure they could deal with me or not.

My other half confirms that my name was given to BT at the start of the contact to allow me to deal with them should the need arise.
    It isn't your contract to extend.

Nice one, a BT sympathiser twisting words. Jog on sunshine.
    Deary me no one is that busy they cannot initiate contact with BT, your OH needs to put down the Big Mac and fries and deal with it.

I will try and get her to do so but the fat lazy cow is always too busy. If it's not biscuits, it's chocolate or crisps. Well you know what it's like don't you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice one, a BT sympathiser twisting words. Jog on sunshine.

I'm sorry for pointing out facts to you.
  • Options
    TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,789
    Forum Member
    I read a report some years ago that said for large companies 10% of customers are responsible for 90% of the customer service contacts

If those 10% decide to go elsewhere most companies will gleefully wave them off! The problem is that they then get the 10% from another company when those customers "storm off".
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    Had to call the BT 0800 number on Wednesday for some help. Turns out that as the account is in my other halfs name they couldn't talk to me directly and the Operator said they would call between 5.30 and 6.30pm that night.

You know what I'm going to say so I shan't bother. They also didn't call last night and still my problem goes unresolved.

So if anyone from BT is reading this, your overseas operators are lying scumbags and you've just lost another customer.
    If you were able to quote the account number or pass other dpa questions they would have spoke to you, but would only be able to give certain information.

I apologise on behalf of the company that you wasn't called back. We do have a policy in place where we have to bid for time in order to call customer's back and it's not a guarantee we can even do it.

We have a procedure in place where you can make a complaint called Fred. So if you ring back and speak to an agent they can raise one for you and then they will investigate on your behalf, this is sent directly to the line manager of the agent.
  • Options
    Scot_JJScot_JJ Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot agree more in the original post, their customer service is 1st rate APPAULING.

They've actually cut this household off from the customer service centre.

We had ordered Broadband for this household due to a close family friend staying with us while he commutes to college so we thought we'd get him his own internet line in (We have Virgin Media too but this line is not one we want to have traffic interfered with). We got speeds which can only be described as "treacle on a cold day" and we called to try and resolve the problem. After about a week of nothing but speed tests, because an IT enthusiast telling them it's not a problem at this end because we've had a functioning ADSL line here before isn't enough on top, They determined that the phone line could be at fault and decided to send someone out to change the cable that goes from our house to the telephone pole. The Pole was decayed and had to be replaced...and it took a week longer than it should. When Openreach did replace it they knocked out the phones of everyone in the area despite being told it knocked our line out and they left saying it's down to the fault engineer to fix (and among the people whose lines went out was an old lady who has her home accident alert system on BT, now she was unable to summon help if she had an accident). About a week later the phones came back on, but no engineer has yet come out to fix the issue and this started a month ago despite all the promises from the call center.

Now the story gets even WORSE as they are no longer sending out paper bills and the account holder only wants to pay with a paper bill in hand to see the breakdown. When the broadband package was added the english chap asked me if I wanted the bill to be emailed to us, I said yes thinking it was just for the broadband but later after that order call figured it could also affect the phone, which is for our household and not the person we were getting the broadband package for. Que to call up to get it changed to paper bill and we get a call centre, I tell the guy what happened and he tells me that we'll get paper bills at an additional cost (as I assume it was before). NO PAPER BILL HAS *EVER* been sent out except the reminders that bills weren't paid and even though we've contacted them THREE TIMES to get paper bills sent out they have lied saying they have done so as NOTHING HAS EVER COME TO US.

Now they've blocked us from the call centre because we've been onto them so much trying to get some competent action taken with out problems. The Broadband has been cut off due to the bill not being paid (then again it was unusable anyway because the original problem never got past changing the cable, which was the entire bloody point of changing the pole)

This has been by far the worst example of "service" I have ever had with BT and this house has been with them for 25 years. I'm going to call the english sales team and just get internally redirected, because it was them who were able to change the billing method in the first place, surely they can change it back. But this is just disgusting, we laughed when we heard BT were on Watchdog over their crappy customer service!
  • Options
    littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scot_JJ wrote: »
    Now they've blocked us from the call centre because we've been onto them so much trying to get some competent action taken with out problems.
    I cant make sense of a lot of your post, but what do you mean by this ? How have you been blocked ?
  • Options
    Scot_JJScot_JJ Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    littleboo wrote: »
    I cant make sense of a lot of your post, but what do you mean by this ? How have you been blocked ?

From what I hear they are insisting there is no problem with the line and no payment has been made (which as I said, has not been made because no paper bill has been sent out to break the costs down, despite being asked 3 times) and as such refuse any more access till payment is made.

It's a long story and I'm not even affected by it as I've been using Virgin Media in this house (it all started because BT kicked me off their dial up for using auto rediallers to download large files excessively because they didn't outfit the area with ADSL back then)
  • Options
    DianeDiane Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ive had completely the opposite experience. I moved home last Monday and bt told me that my phone and broadband would both be connected on my moving in day. I thought bet they aren't lol.

On the day we moved in i got a text at 7am saying the phone was connected and it was, at 11am i got a text saying the broadband was connected and it was

Great service and I'm well happy.

Lordy lordy if you ask bt they will put your account in the main name but c/o your name then either of you can ring them with queries thats what we did.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I have frequently called companies on behalf of my wife and claimed to be her (with her full blessing I hasten to add). It really is hilarious when you don't try and mask the obviously male-sounding voice and the CS bod just doesn't know how to deal with such a situation. You should try it, it's highly recommended.

CS: Am I speaking to MRS Konebvax?

Me: Yes (in normal male voice, not Paul Robeson but not Alan Carr Either)

CS: Ooookkkaaayy, I'll just have to ask you some security questions

Me: Fire away!

:D
  • Options
    Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I have frequently called companies on behalf of my wife and claimed to be her (with her full blessing I hasten to add). It really is hilarious when you don't try and mask the obviously male-sounding voice and the CS bod just doesn't know how to deal with such a situation. You should try it, it's highly recommended.

CS: Am I speaking to MRS Konebvax?

Me: Yes (in normal male voice, not Paul Robeson but not Alan Carr Either)

CS: Ooookkkaaayy, I'll just have to ask you some security questions

Me: Fire away!

:D

I used to work in a call centre, and sometimes you would think "i'm sure this 'mrs' is a bloke" but you cant ask, because sometimes its not!