Will 50 Shades be this years biggest flop?

123457»

Comments

• Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Steep drop-off in the US:
    Fifty Shades Of Grey fell to fourth place after slipping to third place last week. Although the film made nearly $11 million this weekend, that box office take is a steep drop-off—over fifty percent!—from last weekend’s result.

http://thedissolve.com/news/4947-focus-pulls-attention-away-from-ailing-fifty-shade/

The big surprise for me is that "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1" is
    still making money this week. A Long runner?

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?view=main&yr=2015&wknd=09&sort=totalgross&order=DESC&p=.htm
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    The movie has apparently 'leaked' online... Although I wouldn't know... of course
    I've watched it online - I watch everything online - but at the moment all the major parts of the sex scenes are cut lol... the online copy is from the Asian market, where the scenes are heavily cut. It does make odd viewing :D

I didn't think the rest of it was too bad, it was never going to be great art, it's Mills & Boon - or more Black Lace (erotica, found in the romance section of your average library) - but, as far as Mills & Boon goes it's okay. I doubt anybody going to see it expects serious art, so you get what you expect, which is fine for what it is.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it tonight. I couldn't call it a 'good' film but it's watchable and I appreciated that the screenwriter and director actually added personality and humour to both Anastasia and Christian. It's much better than the book. I quite liked the 'business meeting' scene, I can't recall that from the book.

I don't think it's a film to be taken too seriously and I watched it with that in mind and enjoyed it fine.

I thought both leads were pretty good as they aren't exactly the easiest parts to play, bit baffled by some of the criticism of Jamie Dornan though I did notice his accent slipping occasionally.

It felt 20 mins too long though, there's only so much debating contract and sex scenes you can take.

In my opinion they need to get Sam Taylor Wood back if they want a vaguely decent sequel.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grossed more than $500 million worldwide. So much for being a flop! :D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As rumoured, Sam Taylor-Johnson and Kelly Marcel both done with the franchise.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a637994/50-shades-of-grey-sam-taylor-johnson-wont-direct-sequel.html#~p81qevhXjHrBpW

I imagine EL James is submitting her first draft script for the sequel already ..
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    EL is a muppet and if she is in control she will make the next one bomb as sounds like she a bitch to work for so she will also cause issues on set if she gets control .
    Forum Member
    asyousay wrote: »
    EL is a muppet and if she is in control she will make the next one bomb as sounds like she a bitch to work for so she will also cause issues on set if she gets control .

I smell another "Maximum Overdrive" or "Tough Guys Don't Dance" here....
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine EL James is submitting her first draft script for the sequel already ..

I misread that as 'daft script' and it's probably not far from the truth!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I misread that as 'daft script' and it's probably not far from the truth!

Hah! Yes, you're probably right :)
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    As rumoured, Sam Taylor-Johnson and Kelly Marcel both done with the franchise.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a637994/50-shades-of-grey-sam-taylor-johnson-wont-direct-sequel.html#~p81qevhXjHrBpW

I'm still flabbergasted Universal didn't buy the rights and keep EL as far away from Screenplay/Sets as physically possible- All they were buying really was the essence of a story as, while they're popular, they're not popular for the fact they have a compelling plot- I imagine the film(s) Sam Taylor Johnson wanted to make were actually pretty decent, but the author seems to be precious about them (I mean seriously love, you're not exactly P.L Travers, take the money and let the filmmakers do what they do best!)
    Forum Member
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    I'm still flabbergasted Universal didn't buy the rights and keep EL as far away from Screenplay/Sets as physically possible- All they were buying really was the essence of a story as, while they're popular, they're not popular for the fact they have a compelling plot- I imagine the film(s) Sam Taylor Johnson wanted to make were actually pretty decent, but the author seems to be precious about them (I mean seriously love, you're not exactly P.L Travers, take the money and let the filmmakers do what they do best!)

Writers don't necessarily mind the film version being a little
    different from their novel. I remember Christopher Priest saying he was pleased with "The Prestige", even though he also said "it was somewhat different from his novel". But I suspect
    James is such a control freak she can't bear the idea of someone else putting
    their creative stamp on her (very poor) nvoels.