'Mothers Maiden Name'

HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Prompted by something in another thread;

What happens if you're asked to give your mothers maiden name as a security answer (for example when opening a bank account) if you're mother wasn't ever married? :confused:

Do people feel awkward when asked if this applies to you?

Had never really thought about it before, but it must be quite a common issue

Comments

• VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone gets offended by that they have more issues with their lives than the fact their mother never married...

Funnily enough my mother's maiden name is actually posher than her married name is...
    Even though having a double-barrelled surname doesn't make you posh, especially when you're a Geordie...

(I am not a Geordie, just to be clear.)
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All women have a maiden name. It's the one on their birth certificate. Unmarried women go by their maiden names.

I know what you mean though. My bank cards used to have the date my father died as the Expiry Date. After about 3 cards I actually asked the bank to change it. :blush:
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member
    I just give them the name. If anybody gets offended by that they need to get a grip
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A maiden name is a woman's surname before marriage. So if your mother wasn't married, her surname would just be her maiden name. Why would that be offensive?
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All women have a maiden name. It's the one on their birth certificate. Unmarried women go by their maiden names.

I know what you mean though. My bank cards used to have the date my father died as the Expiry Date. After about 3 cards I actually asked the bank to change it. :blush:

Alright clever cloggs :D;-)
    VDUBster wrote: »
    If anyone gets offended by that they have more issues with their lives than the fact their mother never married...

Funnily enough my mother's maiden name is actually posher than her married name is...
    Even though having a double-barrelled surname doesn't make you posh, especially when you're a Geordie...

(I am not a Geordie, just to be clear.)
    I just give them the name. If anybody gets offended by that they need to get a grip

Um, I probably used the wrong word there, I wouldn't get hung up on the word 'offended'.

My only point was if the bank (for example) asks what your mothers maiden name is as a security question, what would the customer say (eg. 'my mum never married, so it would be pointless giving you her maiden name'), and would that make them feel awkward?

I'm more interested in what they say and what gets used as a security question instead in such scenarios.

It's just one of those things I'd never even thought about before but it must be a minor issue for a lot of people.

A mothers maiden name is pointless as a security question if it's her current name, because then it's easy to find out.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I give a made up mothers maiden name. A mothers maiden name can be found out very easily.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Alright clever cloggs :D;-)

Um, I probably used the wrong word there, I wouldn't get hung up on the word 'offended'.

My only point was if the bank (for example) asks what your mothers maiden name is as a security question, what would the customer say (eg. 'my mum never married, so it would be pointless giving you her maiden name'), and would that make them feel awkward?

I'm more interested in what they say and what gets used as a security question instead in such scenarios.

It's just one of those things I'd never even thought about before but it must be a minor issue for a lot of people.

A mothers maiden name is pointless as a security question if it's her current name, because then it's easy to find out.

I think you're over thinking things. It's just a name. Nobody queries such things these days. If it bothers you, make one up. It's only a question to gain access, not to research your family history.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're over thinking things. It's just a name. Nobody queries such things these days. If it bothers you, make one up. It's only a question to gain access, not to research your family history.

I didn't say it was. I think you're missing my point.

If your mother was never married and her maiden name is even the same as your own, what on earth would the point be to use it as any sort of security verification question?
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If your mother was never married and her maiden name is even the same as your own, what on earth would the point be to use it as any sort of security verification question?

As you know, there's a rule of thumb called 'using your noggin'. If your mother's maiden name is the same as your name then make one up. If you sign up to a number of websites, use different passwords. If you're dubious about anyone who asks you your pet's name don't tell them the real one, and if you don't have any pets make one up. ;-)
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you were born out of wedlock it would be super easy to find out that name from public records
    I prefer "What was the first biscuit you dunked without it breaking?". I remember that.
  • AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going slightly off topic:-

By pure coincidence my daughter's married name is the same as her grandmothers maiden name, it will look odd if we ever do a "Family Tree".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    AVTECH wrote: »
    Going slightly off topic:-

By pure coincidence my daughter's married name is the same as her grandmothers maiden name, it will look odd if we ever do a "Family Tree".

Make sure you pick one which has six branches instead of the usual five.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    I give a made up mothers maiden name. A mothers maiden name can be found out very easily.

Good tip. The name you give doesn't have to be true and they don't check. Just make sure you remember the name you gave them.

Using mothers maiden name as a security question is very insecure as it can easily be found out, especially if you are a famous person then all of the information along with date and place of birth will be on Wikipedia. No wonder so many celebrities get hacked.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I always use my grandmother's maiden name. Just as easy to remember but anyone who thinks they know or can find my mother's maiden name will be wrong should they try to use it.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    My bank now asks for two numbers from my PIN, and the name of my memorable place. Poor old mum, no-one wants to know her maiden name anymore.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My bank cards used to have the date my father died as the Expiry Date. After about 3 cards I actually asked the bank to change it. :blush:
    Sorry, and apologies for any insensitivity, but how does that work?

Not only is an expiry date a month and year but the year changes every time a new card is issued?

So one card could have said 10/11 meaning October 2011 but you might read it as 10th November, but the following cards would say something like 10/14 and 10/17.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

What happens if you're asked to give your mothers maiden name as a security answer (for example when opening a bank account) if you're mother wasn't ever married? :confused:

It's essentially a password. You could put 'bitchfromhell'. All that matters is when they ask you, what you say matches. You could put in 'pinkgoldfish' or 'largepenis'; it wouldn't really matter.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    No. My mother's name is DeHartigan. Way more cooler than the surname i got saddled with.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    It's essentially a password. You could put 'bitchfromhell'. All that matters is when they ask you, what you say matches. You could put in 'pinkgoldfish' or 'largepenis', it wouldn't really matter.

Exactly.
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I have never married. My grown up children use their grandmothers maiden name.

Common sense really. You may forget a made up name.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Totally agree.

Anyone who would have any sort of issue with this needs help.
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member

well, in that case, i don't suppose they would let you choose your own name as your security verification...

- usually there a range to choose from, like your first pet, your favourite teacher, that sort of thing.

first pet is my favourite. i really loved tiggles.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My maiden surname was the same as my married name as I married a guy with the same surname. Never asked my kids what they do about it tho.

And no, we were not remotely related :D
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I expect they're relying on a general assumption that your surname is your father's surname.

As in, when people hear your surname, they assume it's from your father. When they know your mother's surname, they assume it's her married name. You have to tell them your father's surname for them to realise they've made incorrect assumptions.

How many of us tell people our parents' names, anyway? Some of my childhood and current friends still don't know that my parents, my five older brothers and I have different surnames. :D

In any case, isn't the maiden-name question usually part of a three-question security barrier?
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Last edited by Hypnodisc : Today at 02:20. Reason: edited

You don't say. What are you like.