EE: Who are the third wheels?

Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Carol Jackson - Massive storyline with the cancer but despite Sonia and Rebecca coming back I don't think she's had a place since Bianca left. Her role was that of the glue behind the often chaotic Jackson household. Now she seems to be rattling around waiting for a storyline.

Alfie Moon - Aside from his on again/off again relationship with Kat (a storyline that's so done to death now it's ridiculous) what is Alfie for? Surely he fulfils a role more suitable for someone at leat 20 years younger; wheel-dealer, cheeky-chappie, cash-in-hand wide-boy. There doesn't seem to be much to his character besides this and without Kat he doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose.

Billy Mitchell - Okay he has Lola and Lexi, but would they really suffer without him? Other than looking helpless every so often I think that character has run its course. I think a period of truly 'on-her-own' young single mother would be good for Lola's character

Max Branning - Lauren's gone (for now), Emma's dead, Tanya isn't returning and Abi seems to be tied up with a stoyline with Ben. It's not as if there's a big call for used cars. Once Phil gets his 'revenge', I can't see much point in Max sticking around

Cora Cross - I'd say it's unlikely Rainie probably isn't returning as a full-time character, Tanya's gone, Dexter and Ava are gone and when Lauren went she wasn't even important enough to be sought out to say her goodbyes. She had potential as a matriarch but for one reason or another she no longer serves a purpose and once Stan dies it's hard to think how she could possibly be of any use.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see these characters be written out to make room for others. Max in particular is rattling around in that big 4/5 bedroom house on his own. Prime real estate for a new family to utilise or even upgrade one of the younger cast members to see if they can make it work as a stand-alone 'adult' family unit (maybe Martin, Stacey and Lilly, Jay, Lola and Lexi or Charlie, Ronnie and Matthew)

Comments

• Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Axe Billy and bring in Adam.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bingo_ wrote: »
    Carol Jackson - Massive storyline with the cancer but despite Sonia and Rebecca coming back I don't think she's had a place since Bianca left. Her role was that of the glue behind the often chaotic Jackson household. Now she seems to be rattling around waiting for a storyline.

Alfie Moon - Aside from his on again/off again relationship with Kat (a storyline that's so done to death now it's ridiculous) what is Alfie for? Surely he fulfils a role more suitable for someone at leat 20 years younger; wheel-dealer, cheeky-chappie, cash-in-hand wide-boy. There doesn't seem to be much to his character besides this and without Kat he doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose.

Billy Mitchell - Okay he has Lola and Lexi, but would they really suffer without him? Other than looking helpless every so often I think that character has run its course. I think a period of truly 'on-her-own' young single mother would be good for Lola's character

Max Branning - Lauren's gone (for now), Emma's dead, Tanya isn't returning and Abi seems to be tied up with a stoyline with Ben. It's not as if there's a big call for used cars. Once Phil gets his 'revenge', I can't see much point in Max sticking around

Cora Cross - I'd say it's unlikely Rainie probably isn't returning as a full-time character, Tanya's gone, Dexter and Ava are gone and when Lauren went she wasn't even important enough to be sought out to say her goodbyes. She had potential as a matriarch but for one reason or another she no longer serves a purpose and once Stan dies it's hard to think how she could possibly be of any use.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see these characters be written out to make room for others. Max in particular is rattling around in that big 4/5 bedroom house on his own. Prime real estate for a new family to utilise or even upgrade one of the younger cast members to see if they can make it work as a stand-alone 'adult' family unit (maybe Martin, Stacey and Lilly, Jay, Lola and Lexi or Charlie, Ronnie and Matthew)

I can agree with what you say. I hope Max leaves soon. Although they need to their best to hold on to Carol as she is one of the best actresses ever in a soap. She should be the new matriarch to the whole Branning/Jackson family, but that would mean bringing more siblings of hers. She's got Sonia, but she should be even more involved with Charlie and sort Max out and get him to leave.

It's a shame with Cora. I think they made a mistake bringing Dexter in. Ava was a very good actress and they could be living together still.
  • TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next year will be Max's 10th anniversary so it would be a shame if he didn't see it.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Billy is a Mitchell and a long standing character so it's highly unlikely he will be axed but he should be!

DTC seems to like Alfie and if Alfie leaves then Kat will too.

Carol & Cora still have a place and both are played by fine Actresses but the latter has been criminally wasted by DTC.

Max will definately not be axed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I can agree with what you say. I hope Max leaves soon. Although they need to their best to hold on to Carol as she is one of the best actresses ever in a soap. She should be the new matriarch to the whole Branning/Jackson family, but that would mean bringing more siblings of hers. She's got Sonia, but she should be even more involved with Charlie and sort Max out and get him to leave.

It's a shame with Cora. I think they made a mistake bringing Dexter in. Ava was a very good actress and they could be living together still.

Dexter and Sam wrecked the Cora/Ava relationship - a huge mistake by Lorraine Newman bringing in Dexter & Sam.
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All are massive EastEnders characters with lots of potential. There's absolutely no need for any of these to be axed!

I'd have plans for all of them...

I'd bring back Robbie Javkson and Tiffany Butcher to give Carol more of a matriarch status and you know Buster? He wouldn't he typically paired up with Shirley, I'd put Carol and Buster in a dynamic relationship... This would give Carol many storylines and she will be able to connect with more characters, I'd also make Carol more of an agony aunt, she plays an agony aunt better than St. Stacey, which just feels extremely forced! Linsey Coulson is such a fantastic actress and she deserves lots of big material, which she hasn't really had, since her cancer storyline.

For Max, I'd give him a depression storyline... Carol will also be there to help Max through this, as Abi would be going through a really bitchy stage, where she influences Max's depression and we'd really see a dynamic Father/Daughter relationship between the two. Max would try to commit suicide, as he believes he has no one, forcing Carol to seek emergency help for Max. Max will then realise that he needs to get his life back on track and have therapy sessions. I'd also have a big Max Vs. Phil storyline, where Max actually comes out on top instead of Phil... All of that beats Max sleeping around with whoever he sets his eyes on. Jake Wood deserves more than that, he's a sensational actor!

For Billy, I'd bring in a transgender partner for him. Billy will find out his partner is a transgender woman, after months of them dating. Billy will take to this and continue to date the transgender woman. The 2 characters would then have many storylines together. I'd also give Perry Fenwick some more meaty material, as he's a capable actor. Maybe a testicular cancer storyline or something?

Alfie would also have lots more to do. I'd definitely being back the cheeky chappy Alfie Moon, that everyone fell in love with, over a decade ago. Alfie would communicate with much more characters and I'd also keep Alfie away from Kat for the time being. Alfie would strike up a strong friendship with Mick Carter and they would both become a big kind of double act like Minty and Gary and hopefully bring a bit of banter to the show. Shane Richie is a wonderful actor, so I'd definitely give him some serious material! I'd give him and Kat a huge storyline, in which Tommy is diagnosed with a life threatening illness and the pair will be there for their son.

Also, for Cora I'd introduce some of her family. I'd introduce her sister at first, who is suffering with dementia. Cora's nephew has refuses to look after his mother and so Cora takes her sister in and decides to look after her sister herself. I'd also bring Rainie back got another guest stint, in which the character would be killed off after taking an overdose, giving Ann Mitchell some big stuff! Cora's nephew would also be introduced in the dementia storyline!:p.

Thoughts on these idea's?:).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see Alfie violently killed off ONSCREEN (So he cannot ever return:D) i can't stand him.
  • SumnerSumner Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Carol: Agree. She only works when David or particularly Bianca are around, otherwise she seems pointless and boring. Good actress but not enough reason to keep her. The mix of characters in the Jackson house makes it the most boring set. If she leaves I hope she takes Sonia and Liam with her.

Alfie: Agree. Hate this numpty, Kat could do better. Even back in the day I was hoping she'd marry Andy Hunter, become embroiled in The Firm and go down the Ganster's moll route. Kat is wasted on Alfie and he's been dragging her down for far too long. He has never suited her character. Kill him off.

Billy. Disagree. You need people who can just be in the background and he fills the role of runt of the Mitchell litter well. The actress who played Little Mo wants to return so I'd bring her and her son back and have Billy remarry her giving him more of his own family unit.

Max. Disagree. He's become a bit stale but the problem in sacking him is how short it would leave the cast in strong male characters. There's already an imbalance bbetween strong males and females so I'd be reluctant to get rid unless there was a strong replacement lined up. Instead I'd marry him and Kat off to give each of them a new direction. Between them they have a good spread of kids to fill a family home.

Cora: Agree. She was brought in to be a matriarch but doesn't have a family. If Stan was going to stick around she might have had a purpose but he's not so she's pointless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sumner wrote: »
    Carol: Agree. She only works when David or particularly Bianca are around, otherwise she seems pointless and boring. Good actress but not enough reason to keep her. The mix of characters in the Jackson house makes it the most boring set. If she leaves I hope she takes Sonia and Liam with her.

Alfie: Agree. Hate this numpty, Kat could do better. Even back in the day I was hoping she'd marry Andy Hunter, become embroiled in The Firm and go down the Ganster's moll route. Kat is wasted on Alfie and he's been dragging her down for far too long. He has never suited her character. Kill him off.

Billy. Disagree. You need people who can just be in the background and he fills the role of runt of the Mitchell litter well. The actress who played Little Mo wants to return so I'd bring her and her son back and have Billy remarry her giving him more of his own family unit.

Max. Disagree. He's become a bit stale but the problem in sacking him is how short it would leave the cast in strong male characters. There's already an imbalance bbetween strong males and females so I'd be reluctant to get rid unless there was a strong replacement lined up. Instead I'd marry him and Kat off to give each of them a new direction. Between them they have a good spread of kids to fill a family home.

Cora: Agree. She was brought in to be a matriarch but doesn't have a family. If Stan was going to stick around she might have had a purpose but he's not so she's pointless.

I would keep Carol, Max & Cora and axe Billy &
    Alfie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    I would keep Carol, Max & Cora and axe Billy &
    Alfie.

Why would you axe Billy? He has been there a lot longer than Max and Cora and is a well known character, played by a decent actor... Don't you think he deserves a good storyline instead?:/.
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I would like to see Alfie violently killed off ONSCREEN (So he cannot ever return:D) i can't stand him.

Sounds good to me.
  • Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    All are massive EastEnders characters with lots of potential. There's absolutely no need for any of these to be axed!

I'd have plans for all of them...

I'd bring back Robbie Javkson and Tiffany Butcher to give Carol more of a matriarch status and you know Buster? He wouldn't he typically paired up with Shirley, I'd put Carol and Buster in a dynamic relationship... This would give Carol many storylines and she will be able to connect with more characters, I'd also make Carol more of an agony aunt, she plays an agony aunt better than St. Stacey, which just feels extremely forced! Linsey Coulson is such a fantastic actress and she deserves lots of big material, which she hasn't really had, since her cancer storyline.

For Max, I'd give him a depression storyline... Carol will also be there to help Max through this, as Abi would be going through a really bitchy stage, where she influences Max's depression and we'd really see a dynamic Father/Daughter relationship between the two. Max would try to commit suicide, as he believes he has no one, forcing Carol to seek emergency help for Max. Max will then realise that he needs to get his life back on track and have therapy sessions. I'd also have a big Max Vs. Phil storyline, where Max actually comes out on top instead of Phil... All of that beats Max sleeping around with whoever he sets his eyes on. Jake Wood deserves more than that, he's a sensational actor!

For Billy, I'd bring in a transgender partner for him. Billy will find out his partner is a transgender woman, after months of them dating. Billy will take to this and continue to date the transgender woman. The 2 characters would then have many storylines together. I'd also give Perry Fenwick some more meaty material, as he's a capable actor. Maybe a testicular cancer storyline or something?

Alfie would also have lots more to do. I'd definitely being back the cheeky chappy Alfie Moon, that everyone fell in love with, over a decade ago. Alfie would communicate with much more characters and I'd also keep Alfie away from Kat for the time being. Alfie would strike up a strong friendship with Mick Carter and they would both become a big kind of double act like Minty and Gary and hopefully bring a bit of banter to the show. Shane Richie is a wonderful actor, so I'd definitely give him some serious material! I'd give him and Kat a huge storyline, in which Tommy is diagnosed with a life threatening illness and the pair will be there for their son.

Also, for Cora I'd introduce some of her family. I'd introduce her sister at first, who is suffering with dementia. Cora's nephew has refuses to look after his mother and so Cora takes her sister in and decides to look after her sister herself. I'd also bring Rainie back got another guest stint, in which the character would be killed off after taking an overdose, giving Ann Mitchell some big stuff! Cora's nephew would also be introduced in the dementia storyline!:p.

Thoughts on these idea's?:).

Not only do you want every character to stay you seem to suggest 5 or 6 each week who should return. How big exactly do you want the cast to be?
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cora is a fourth rate character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    Cora is a fourth rate character.

Because of the writing not the Actress.
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who are Spare parts wow Max ? He has connections to Dot, Carol, he owns a business and is about to embark on a feud with Phil . Is a 40 odd years old not allowed to live on his own ??? Hardly a spare part. Carol im sure has decent material coming up. Cora could be considered a spare part? Billy has family, Alfie if written right can interact with the community/ other characters.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Not third wheels. Underused, or just having a quiet time as all characters do at one time or another.

It wasn't that long ago that Sharon, Dot and Roxy were 'third wheels'.
  • Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you can't keep everyone around just in case the right storyline comes up. You need to sometimes make space for new characters, not only physically and in terms of the time they'd get to establish themselves. it seems as if some people think that we should keep everyone around forever because one day they might get decent storyline.

Some people are character hoarders.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    But you can't keep everyone around just in case the right storyline comes up. You need to sometimes make space for new characters, not only physically and in terms of the time they'd get to establish themselves. it seems as if some people think that we should keep everyone around forever because one day they might get decent storyline.

Some people are character hoarders.

We've had plenty of new characters brought in, and two or three still to come. There's still a place for the regular characters that are popular with the viewer, and Alfie, Billy, Carol and Max are popular.
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    Not third wheels. Underused, or just having a quiet time as all characters do at one time or another.

It wasn't that long ago that Sharon, Dot and Roxy were 'third wheels'.

Exactly. The actors and actresses mentioned are capable of doing well with big stories, but they are not getting them. They shouldn't be written out because DTC is not giving them anything. DTC needs to think of some decent material for Carol/Billy/Lola/Jay/Whitney/Stacey/Cora and Alfie, instead of just giving his favourites The Carter family story after story.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it's : Billy, Alfie and Fatboy
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy Mitchell - should of left when honey or little mo left
    Carol Jackson - she doesn't work without a load of kids around her. Wasted character
    Liam butcher - GIVE HIM A STORYLINE. What happened
    To him in the cafe?
    Alfie - just around for inevitable on/off Kat relationship. Boring.
    Whitney - underused

With Cora they are trying but she suffered without one of her daughters around. Stan has atleast given her something. They should put her back with max and abi and have her sort Max out for Abis sake.
    Lola has been in some stories but is more of a supporting role these days but atleast she has begun appearing more.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not only do you want every character to stay you seem to suggest 5 or 6 each week who should return. How big exactly do you want the cast to be?

I like the Coras Relatives idea. However I wouldn't kill of rainie as I want her to do a Janine and make something of herself rather then a donna Ludlow.

I'd rather billy and the transgender woman give him an exit storyline lasting a year and Phil not approving so billy moves away.

Tiffany should be brought back and Robbie I don't really care about but carol needs to become a better character. She's so boring and the character has been suffocated by family that she doesn't work without them. Also the kids need to have a few more who are not babies and toddlers who can talk. Tiffany was also perfect in her stint.

Alfie needs to go. Shane is far to arrogant and big headed for his own good imo
    From interviews I've seen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Simple:

Axe deadwood like Lee, Les and Pam to bring them back/in!:p.

Why would I want them to go anyway? Of corse I want them to stay. They are all good characters!

Also, I have only suggested like 3 characters up there I would like to bring back?:/.
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    Simple:

Axe deadwood like Lee, Les and Pam to bring them back/in!:p.

Why would I want them to go anyway? Of corse I want them to stay. They are all good characters!

Also, I have only suggested like 3 characters up there I would like to bring back?:/.

How are Pam and Les deadwood? These kind of characters are needed to give the show a more community feel . Just because they aren't involved in big storylines all the time doesn't make then deadwood. These kind of characters are vital to the show.
  • Heathyheath_Heathyheath_ Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's kind of strange just how far into the background Carol has fallen since her cancer storyline. I thought that Bianca plus her family leaving would actually bring Carol further to the forefront but then it's been the opposite. Of course I'd still hate to see her go though, the only people that are currently in your spare wheels list who I wouldn't mind seeing go is Cora and Alfie, and even then both of them can be redeemed with some positive writing, something to be fair Alfie hasn't had in my eyes in what feels like YEARS