Did I make the wrong choice with the Note 4

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
I've just ordered myself the Note 4. I was torn between the Note 4, and waiting a bit for the S6.
However, it just seemed like the specs were improved on the S6...but for usability, it seems you would generally get much more out of the phone in terms of usage with the Note 4, because it just does so much more.

What are you opinions? Did I make the wrong choice?

Comments

• Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The S6 is style over substance with lots of limitations.. Personally I would rather have a Note 4 but its down to personal taste and needs.

You can usually send the phone back if unopened for what its worth.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went for the HTC One M8 but wished i'd got the Note 4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Personally, i think i have made the right choice. Just a bit nervous, as i've never used an s pen before and not sure if id get the full usage out of it, because i a bit of a noob in that sense. Practice makes perfect though..
    But i only have 10 days to return it if i dont like it, in which time the S6 wont b out yet.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The S6 announcement has made my mind up which phone I would get next, that would be the note 4. I like having a removable battery and sd card slot.

The back of the S6 looks nice but glass back isn't practical and the front looks the same as the last few galaxy's.
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i upgraded from an S4 to a Note 4 and can't say I've regretted it at all, especially with the S6 announced.
    battery was a 10 fold improvement over the older phones (although the s6 will have the same tech) the screen resolution is fantastic, (again same as s6 but bigger)
    i find the s pen a gimmick, although useful occasionally.

the s6 is still over half an inch smaller screen size, and has no expandable memory, so you need to commit at purchase.
    yes the processor will be fractionally faster and it will use ddr4 as opposed to ddr3 ram, BUT - woo bl00dy hoo. !!
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gavo360 wrote: »
    The S6 announcement has made my mind up which phone I would get next, that would be the note 4. I like having a removable battery and sd card slot.

The back of the S6 looks nice but glass back isn't practical and the front looks the same as the last few galaxy's.

A friend of mine who is out at MWC this week says the S6 is an all-over finger print magnet. She described it covered in smudges, but a sexy bit of kit.

I think the finger print smudges would annoy me, but because the casing has that lovely green/blue shimmer effect, I wouldn't want to put a case on it. #firstworldproblems
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the problem with all smart phones, good looking or not, unless you never put it in your pocket or ever go anywhere your gonna need a case of some sort, which enevertably means covering it in some way with a cheap Chinese bit of plastic from Amazon or eBay so it's looks are only relevant up to a point, thought I'd cracked it last week with my note 3 though, ordered an aluminum bumper bar, phone looked great and I was feeling quite smug sexing my phone up for £3.50! But then found out that it killed the GPS signal stone dead to maps and other things were useless... 😢😢😢😢
    I'd miss the sd card expansion too much to upgrade,
    How does the camera on the note 4 compare to the note 3? I find the note 3 camera a bit on the poor side after my S4
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In regards to if you purchased right phone that is entirely subjective. I've just gone for an iPhone 6 because I like look and feel of iOS these days and it feels good in the hand. I can't use Phablet devices just don't like how they sit in the hand but if it works for you glad. Basically I wanted a phone which would have a solid camera have WiFi Calling/VoLTE support and have reliable updates the iPhone 6 ticks all those boxes. so it was device for me.

In regards to cases I've just purchased a ridiculously expensive Mercedes Benz iPhone 6 case because I wanted a solid leather case for my new phone. It's hard to find a good looking flip case with magnetic clasp these days.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your choice, your money, your phone. Sometimes people tend to blow things out of proportions. Do you have two or more batteries for your old phone and swap them during the day? Do you use an SD card? How full is it if yes. How full is your phone? S6 is pretty, previous phones not so much (for me anyway). I'd go for the S6 edge and be happy with the limitations and the prettier phone, but that's me. And I would not care if anybody tried to tell me what a fool I am for buying this and not that.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    That's the problem with all smart phones, good looking or not, unless you never put it in your pocket or ever go anywhere your gonna need a case of some sort, which enevertably means covering it in some way with a cheap Chinese bit of plastic from Amazon or eBay so it's looks are only relevant up to a point, thought I'd cracked it last week with my note 3 though, ordered an aluminum bumper bar, phone looked great and I was feeling quite smug sexing my phone up for £3.50! But then found out that it killed the GPS signal stone dead to maps and other things were useless... 😢😢😢😢
    I'd miss the sd card expansion too much to upgrade,
    How does the camera on the note 4 compare to the note 3? I find the note 3 camera a bit on the poor side after my S4

I also bought a nice gold metal case for my note 3 when I had it. Got it installed, screws and all and then found out it blocked the phone signal:(

The camera on the note 4 is significantly better than the camera on the note 3. I had the S5 which has a 16 mega pixel camera and that was light years ahead of the camera on the note 3. The camera on the note 4 has OIS and is even better than the one on the S5. The S5 camera imo is even better than the one I have on my current iPhone 6 plus imo. The note 4 camera should be a cracker.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been thinking of buying the note 4 to use alongside my iPhone 6 plus. I was holding off until the S6 was announced and also until I'd bought a new laptop, which I have now. I honestly think I prefer the note 4. Bigger screen, removable battery, SD card slot. I like the look of the S6 edge, but the S6 is not really any different to my iPhone 6 plus, except that it runs android and has a higher resolution screen. The note 4 has a lot more going for it imo. I'll probbaly get the note 4 at the end of the month if the Apple watch doesn't grab my interest.
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posted this on another thread but think it got lost in conversation or nobody knew.
    Is this the normal way a Note 3 displays discovered networks when you do a manual network scan??https://www.dropbox.com/s/xws1mup214fi5je/Screenshot_2015-03-03-22-33-10.png?dl=0
    On my S4 with the same sim it would display the network name and network type such as 4g,3g or 2g, with the note 3 I get just these basic network names, no way of knowing what they are?
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you've made a mistake with the Note 4. I have a Note 3, and absolutely love it. I can't imagine going back to a smaller screen, or living without the S-Pen and the extra features the Note series offer.

Don't get me wrong, the Samsung S6 looks stunning, but the Note series has that something different for users who want the best of everything.

:) Mark
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been thinking of buying the note 4 to use alongside my iPhone 6 plus. I was holding off until the S6 was announced and also until I'd bought a new laptop, which I have now. I honestly think I prefer the note 4. Bigger screen, removable battery, SD card slot. I like the look of the S6 edge, but the S6 is not really any different to my iPhone 6 plus, except that it runs android and has a higher resolution screen. The note 4 has a lot more going for it imo. I'll probbaly get the note 4 at the end of the month if the Apple watch doesn't grab my interest.

Wow, I don't want to spend money on one contract yet alone 2 :D

It's interesting though, because I always wanted to upgrade to the Note 4, mainly because of the AMOLED screen and resolution, but love the look of the S6.

The thing is though, I will stick with iPhone because I have an iPad, and it's easier to have everything using one platform - and everything is linked to iCloud.

I was sick of having to deal with both Android and iOS. Using just iOS has really simplified things for me. I just wished the iPhone had an AMOLED display and higher res.