like a bag of pebbles rolling around inside my player, could
anyone shine some light on my problem.

Cheers Alan.

Comments

• TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to give a lot more info

What make is the portable, what type of disc's have you used what did you use to author it, what did you record it with...
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Everyone,
    Alan from London with my first post, with 2 grandchildren and
    a million gig of video I thought I would have a go at editing and
    authoring my own dvd's.
    Well all went well editing they play on my portable dvd player
    but try and play them on my samsung bd-p1600 xeu it sounds
    like a bag of pebbles rolling around inside my player, could
    anyone shine some light on my problem.

Cheers Alan.
    Not entirely certain what the issue is here?

Are you saying the disk plays fine in the portable but not at all in the Samsung player? In the sense you get audio and video from the portable but nothing from the Samsung.

Or does it play OK in both, ie you get audio and video out of both, but there is a lot of mechanical noise when playing in the Samsung?

Or some combination of both the above?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Sorry,
    It plays with no problems on my philips portable, but
    on my samsung bd-p1600 xeu the problem starts there
    it starts reading and the noise starts which as I say resembles
    a bag of pepples spinning inside.
    It was authored with TMPGEnc 4 on my desktop system wins7,I write many disc cd and dvd but I,ve never tried to play them on my blu ray until now.
    But is it not a fair assumption that there should be no problem
    playing them given 1 player is playing along while the other is not.

Thankyou once again Alan.

ps blu rays are playing ok.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds (no pun intended :) ) as if the Samsung is having problems reading the disk. This could be a dirty laser in the player, a failing laser or simply it doesn't like that type of disk.

The problem with recordable disks is they are a lot less reflective than commercially pressed disks. So the laser has to work a bit harder to read the disk. So if the laser is dirty or a bit underpowered it could fail to read the disk yet work fine with commercial disks. The portable could just simply have a better laser.

One thing you could try is to put a laser cleaning disk through the Samsung and see if that has any effect. Ideally you would take the lid off and clean the laser manually with a cotton bud and something like Isopropyl Alcohol but I can understand if you didn't want to do that.

But you would be surprised what that can do. Even though looking at it you can't really tell any difference between "dirty" and "clean" laser.

The other solution might be to try a different make of disk and see if teh Samsung likes that any better. It can be tricky finding a disk type that works on every machine you want to use it on.
    Forum Member
    Thankyou Chrisjr,

I think I,ll have a go at cleaning first I,ve got some eclipse cleaning fluid. At least that way Im eliminating a problem
    as I go along.

Cheers Alan.
    Forum Member
    Chrisjr I found some old dvd's just non branded wrote it once
    again plays a charm.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Chris' advice is where I would start.

Depending on the model of BluRay player it could be easy if you are comfortable with technology and replacing/PC parts, or it could be a little more complex depending on how the player is constructed.

With some players removing the cover might expose the laser lens mechanism (but that isn't always the case, especially with players based around PC type BluRay drives). If you are lucky in that regard then it's just a case of using a cotton bud damped with cleaning fluid, and gently cleaning the lens. If you are unlucky you'll be presented with the top of the drive itself and will have to disconnect the drive from the unit before removing the cover of the drive itself. In that case don't proceed unless you are happy that you have had a good look, and are sure you can reconnect everything up again. It is usually just a case of disconnecting the data and power cables and then taking out some screws to free up the drive. It might help to note down what goes where, and have a little cup to keep the screws in so you don't lose them. Once you've cleaned the lens give it a short while for the cleaning fluid to evaporate before reassembling.

Another couple of things that can cause such problems:

The type of recordable disc used can have an effect, some players are more comfortable with DVD-R/RW discs than DVD+R/RW, while some are the other way round. Some players will happily play -R or +R discs, but not like -RW or +RW discs. If you have access to different types, try them out (although of course, you'll end up with some disc with the same content, but at least you can resuse the re-writeable ones).

Have you finalised the discs on your PC before playing them?. Some players will happily play unfinalised discs, while many will not.

Finally a misaligned laser lens can result in commercial discs playing while recordable ones wont, but this should be a last resort. Basically, next or near the laser lens will be a tiny screw. Turning it very slightly changes the alignment of the lens. Unfortunately this can be a case of trial and error to find the correct setting, as it is a case of giving the screw a tiny turn (about a quarter turn clockwise or anti clockwise), then reassembling the machine and trying again, if that doesn't work, you have to go through the hole process again and again and again.

Personally I'd go through cleaning the lens first, then trying different types of discs as one of those are likely to be the problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Chrisjr I found some old dvd's just non branded wrote it once
    again plays a charm.

Sound like the player is just fussy about the types of discs.

Even within the disc types there can be differences in the dye used from different manufacturers, which can be a right pain with a fussy player.
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sound like the player is just fussy about the types of discs.

Even within the disc types there can be differences in the dye used from different manufacturers, which can be a right pain with a fussy player.

The dye Ritek use in their discs is supposedly one of the most compatible out there when it comes to drives and DVD players. They also have the license to sell Traxdata-branded discs in Europe, so those should have the same dye too.

This doesn't necessarily guarantee that they're the best in terms of reliability or lifespan (can't say where they come in that respect, though Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are generally considered to be the best). But Riteks *do* have a good reputation for compatibility, regardless.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used Ritek disks a few years ago and the dvds would start ok and play for an hour or so and then my dvd player would struggle to read them and freeze the picture. I changed to Taiyo Yuden and never had a problem since.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the reply's,
    Im off to my computer fair tomorrow for some disc's would be great if they did a try one buy later option, I think I may give the traxdata discs a try as for the - or + flavours I,ll stick
    with the + for the time being.

Many thanks everyone for your time and input.

Alan.
    Forum Member
    Hi Everyone,
    Not knowing which type disc I found be it - or + that I was
    able to play on my blu ray, would purchasing the - type hinder my ability to burn disc's from my desktop pc with nero.
    The way I see there's 2 flavours to choose from plus another
    umpteen makers, I,ve got to start somewhere.

Thankyou again Alan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most PC drives should be OK with most flavours of disk. It is usually stand alone players that throw their toys out of the pram if you don't feed them the exact type of disk they like. It certainly used to be the case that DVD-R was more widely supported than DVD+R though how true that is these days I'm not sure.

Also some drives can be picky about +/- RW and RAM formats.

But just downloaded the manual for the Samsung and found this
    Supports a Variety of Disc Types
    Blu-ray (BD-ROM, BD-RE, BD-R), DVD Video, DVD-RW/-R (V mode and finalized only) discs and Audio CD.
    CD-RW/CD-R, DVD-RW/-R and USB storage device content such as MP3, JPEG and DivX files.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/BD-P1600/XEU-downloads

That suggests it only like DVD-R and DVD-RW media. If you tried to play a DVD+R or DVD+RW disk then that might account for it not playing. As would not Finalising the disk after burning.
    Forum Member
    Chrisjr I cant thank you enough for the time you,ve given
    helping to solve this problem.
    I think I,ll go for the -dvd even better if I can get the brand mentioned in this thread.

My deepest thanks to everyone Alan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chrisjr I cant thank you enough for the time you,ve given
    helping to solve this problem.
    I think I,ll go for the -dvd even better if I can get the brand mentioned in this thread.

My deepest thanks to everyone Alan.
    One does one's best :D

By the way you wouldn't be a Whistle Test fan by any chance, given your choice of user name :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Most PC drives should be OK with most flavours of disk. It is usually stand alone players that throw their toys out of the pram if you don't feed them the exact type of disk they like.

Yeah, what is it with standalone players and their fussiness with discs when even the cheapest DVD computer drive can handle almost any kind of media? (*)

Is it vested interest in pushing the version that suits the manufacturer more (something they wouldn't get away with in the PC world)?

The idiots who (pointlessly) split the recordable DVD market into "plus" and "minus" formats should have been locked in a room with no food and water until they agreed on a single standard. :mad:

(*) Well, except DVD-RAM maybe, and that's genuinely different from +R and -R
    Forum Member
    Hi Chrisjr,
    Yeah Im afraid so, It was one of my very first singles that I brought managed to find it down oxford street the old stone fox chase. Did'nt manage to get to my computer fair today the A2 thru the tunnel was atrocious so they'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Cheers once again Alan.
    Forum Member
    So the blank disc that I managed to play on my blu ray
    isn't necessarily dvd- it could just be a dvd+ that the blu ray
    is just accepting.

Thank you again Alan.
    Forum Member
    Hi Everyone,
    Got to the computer fair this morning, managed to get some riteks a spindle of 50 for £9 I thought I would give these a go as Kodaz mentioned this particular brand earlier in the thread.
    Burnt a compiltion played first time not a sound came from the player.
    I feel like a kid with a new toy, but theres only so many things you can burn to disk.

Cheers again everyone Alan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burnt a compiltion played first time not a sound came from the player

Assuming you meant no "bag of pebbles" drive noise (rather than a lack of audio) which I'd assume is the case since you seem happy, then I'm glad to have been of help. :)