Options

Is it wrong to laugh at tourettes?

ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not the disability, but some of the outbursts. They always seem to speak their mind.

Comments

• Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    I suppose it depends on the situation - as in if you know the person with it etc.

There was a guy that was always in my local supermarket who had it and I think it would be wrong to have laughed at him as he didn't know me but I'm sure you can enjoy the outburst if you're a friend.
  • Options
    TetrameshTetramesh Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always wondered what words someone with tourettes would come out with if they had never been exposed to swear words or were deaf.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tetramesh wrote: »
    I've always wondered what words someone with tourettes would come out with if they had never been exposed to swear words or were deaf.

I think it would just be a shout.
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member

It's not just swearing - it would be random movements and noises instead I would imagine.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People who have Tourette's don't just swear.
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume you are watching the programme on BBC1 at the mo. I do feel really sorry for the people it affects. It is wrong to laugh, but as you say some one the comments (not the swearing) that were shouted out were laugh out loud funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume you are watching the programme on BBC1 at the mo, maybe it is wrong to laugh, but as you say some one the comments that were shouted out were laugh out loud funny.

'Chopper's got ginger pubes!'
    :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think the kids said it the best:

if the person with tourettes laughs about what theyve said, you could join in if you wanted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    chicken
  • Options
    Mr ReyMr Rey Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not convinced Tourettes is real myself. Watched a programme once where a guy kept blurting out racial slurs and they showed him in a shop shouting "n****r" at some black people as they walked by :eek:

It was then I wondered if it was a just convienient excuse to be racist in public.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr Rey wrote: »
    Still not convinced Tourettes is real myself. Watched a programme once where a guy kept blurting out racial slurs and they showed him in a shop shouting "n****r" at some black people as they walked by :eek:

It was then I wondered if it was a just convienient excuse to be racist in public.

As a couple of previous posts have mentioned Tourette's doesn't just cause outbursts of swearing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only 10% of those with Tourette's have outbursts of swearing.

There is nothing worse than judgements based on ignorance. :mad:

But to answer the OP, it's fine to laugh at Tourette's, as long as you accept that it's OK to laugh at everyone who's too bloody stupid to understand what it is before they laugh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member

You are not watching BBC1 now. Educate yourself. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    Not the disability, but some of the outbursts. They always seem to speak their mind.

Well it's not wrong, but it's not particularly funny either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And it's a disability.

Educate yourself OP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fringo wrote: »
    It's not just swearing - it would be random movements and noises instead I would imagine.
    gadders wrote: »
    People who have Tourette's don't just swear.

I am aware of that, I was referring to the minority that do have outbursts of obscenities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rupstoh wrote: »
    You are not watching BBC1 now. Educate yourself. :rolleyes:

No I'm watching Britain's Got Talent for the opposite reason :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand why this guy struggles to find a partner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here we go:

Posts of "what about people that verbally abuse me in the street" (at 2am).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    And it's a disability.

Educate yourself OP.

:confused::confused:
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    No I'm watching Britain's Got Talent for the opposite reason :D

What, cos it makes you swear and shout?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am aware of that, I was referring to the minority that do have outbursts of obscenities.

So why ask the question then?
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Tourette's shows why the fuss about politically correct language is inherently flawed. We all commit thoughtcrime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it's a disability.

Educate yourself OP.

What aren't people with Tourettes "able" to do then? Other than conform to social etiquette? On that basis, being a Chav is a disability too.

@ off"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gadders wrote: »
    So why ask the question then?

Because 'I've always wondered what words someone with tourettes would come out with if they had never been exposed to swear words or were deaf.'