How would you ideally have liked Lost to end then?

K2kK2k Posts: 200
Forum Member
I was quiet happy with Lost ending with the Flash-Sideways reality being the real reality. Everyone seemed happy, they still remembered the island, everyone was still alive apart from whichever out of Rose & Bernard that was going to get cancer now they didn't make it to the island.

I was a bit disappointed when it turned out they were all dead, especially after watching Ashes to Ashes a few days earlier.

I know it wouldn't fit the show, but I'd always wished Locke would come back to life (maybe from the flash sideways) and turn up at the end to destroy the smoke monster.

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would have preferred that the sideways flashes were an alternate reality created by the bomb and that meant they could right some of the wrongs with their past on the island.

I would also have preferred the Dhama Initiative to have had more involvement with creating the island and some of its mysteries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) They die in a tragic way, the plane crashes, the Island collapses and sinks.

2) It is unclear whether it is faith or sci-fi, but the flash sideways becomes the main reality.

3) They all remember and are grateful to be alive because they know they died previously.
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    armorium wrote: »

2) It is unclear whether it is faith or sci-fi, but the flash sideways becomes the main reality.

3) They all remember and are grateful to be alive because they know they died previously.

yeah there was that shot of the island under water, obviously yet another waste of time or was that meant to symbolise something.

I just wanted something grittier, less "lovely, lets all go off into the light, all happy chappies"
  • muldranmuldran Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    The sideways-world being 'the afterlife part 1' was clearly ill conceived; afterall, we had already established that Desmond and Eloise were time-sensitive or time-travellers; suddenly they were 'death-travellers'. Great episode ruined by the last 15 minutes.

I would have been happier if they had been aware of the 'second reality' and it just *was*, and that was that, not a 'and they died happily ever after' ending.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of them die except the Candidate... Which was Hurley.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    The writers stated categorically when all the theories were flying around in season 1 that the characters were NOT dead, that they were NOT in purgatory... I can't believe they pulled this.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No flash sideways world or purgatory at all.Jack dies on the beach as the others escape by plane to find a new life off the island.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the idea of them getting what they wanted or needed in the alt timeline. I liked the reunions and remembering.

Why kill them all off? They could have just made the alt the new reality.

They should have made Ben the new Jacob as he really wanted to stay and be somebody. The Jack/Hurley/Ben thing made no sense.

If they were matching them up in the ending why did Sayid not get his wife?

They could have had Eloise explain the physics of the numbers and time travel instead then blow up the place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    armorium wrote: »

Do you know, I thought this was where they were going and I was fearful that it would end this way.

For me me, it would have made void all of the experiences on the island, and I'd have been fuming.

Funny to think that in alternate reality of our world, you are in the "I liked it" and I'm in the "I hated it" brigade :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the ending was perfect. I would have liked them to have had a more enjoyable end on the island i.e. Jack, Jin Sun etc all survive but then they wouldn't have been able to explain the secrets of the island from there.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would of had them all dead since 815 first crashed but non of them could move on or rest in peace

The flash sideways would of been a 2nd chance of life created by the bomb going off.

with them all remembering they had died in flight 815 at the end.

Something along those lines anyway.
  • rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ByteHawk wrote: »
    The writers stated categorically when all the theories were flying around in season 1 that the characters were NOT dead, that they were NOT in purgatory... I can't believe they pulled this.

Technically they weren't as the alternative reality flashes hadn't happened yet. The island life was supposed to be reality.

A bit miffed at the ending, especially after seeing pretty much the same thing on A2A. Heads will roll if Jack Bauer is also in purgatory tomorrow.

I would have liked it to end with:

Jack kills John, and dies due to the stab wound.
    The island's magic is finished, cue everyone leaving in the plane.
    As the plane is flying, sudden turbulence, cut to Hurley looking out of the window and saying

'Oh not again'

Roll on season 7-12 :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    While i definitely enjoyed it i think really it should have just gone the way i was suspecting it would towards the end, where the island is destroyed and the time lines collapse into one and they're all alive, Desmond and Hurley were just on a mission to reunite everyone with each other at the party to celebrate the the fact they're all alive and to remember the good times and adventures they had together, really this could of worked better while still having somewhat of the same emotional effect as we had but without the need for any spiritual afterlife stuff.

I didn't mind it and in some ways liked it but i thought this show was more scifi than fantasy, i thought everything could be explained at some level, but oh well its a nice ending to an interesting show, perhaps in the end having all the answers could be disappointing because it can take away some of the mystery and magic in life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Come to think about it, I would have preferred Jack and Flocke to join with the rest of the Losties in a rendition of 'Them Bones'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muldran wrote: »
    The sideways-world being 'the afterlife part 1' was clearly ill conceived; afterall, we had already established that Desmond and Eloise were time-sensitive or time-travellers; suddenly they were 'death-travellers'. Great episode ruined by the last 15 minutes.

I would have been happier if they had been aware of the 'second reality' and it just *was*, and that was that, not a 'and they died happily ever after' ending.

Hadn't Eloise just realised like the others, ie. Kate, Charlie, Claire, Desmond, Locke, Sawyer, etc. that they were in 'purgatory' but she didn't want it revealed to Daniel because she wanted a second chance with him. Desmond was the opposite to Jack, where as Jack fought off the feelings of his past trying to make him remember, Desmond embraced it and helped others remember, although i'm pretty sure that if Desmond hadn't of interferred everyone would have worked it out sooner or later anyway.
  • QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    ByteHawk wrote: »

During their time on the island they weren't! :confused:
  • jette52jette52 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    i thought the ending was perfect. i would not change a thing!!!
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know im doing this on every thread but its a query... If your a guy did you cry? If yes which bit/s
  • Jack_OJack_O Posts: 991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was hoping that Alvar and the Degroots would be the big bad powerful enemy, instead Season 6 in general went too overboard with the supernatural stuff.

Season 1 and 2 are still the best, masterpieces, and its nice to be able to look back and watch all the wonderful episodes with an almost infinite list of great scenes.
  • QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Personally I would have liked it to end with Kate getting completely naked. Oh well. :D
  • sam edwicksam edwick Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perfect enough and epic enough for me. If you didn't get it then that's no bad thing really, I suppose. I remember being pissed off with The Prisoner in its earlier incarnation. You can't win all the time. When one programme doesn't fit your expectations or fulfil then maybe one day you'll find something that does. Let's hope that you do. Badgering on at other people about how they shouldn't have appreciated it for this or that or whatever reason isn't really working. Move on and find your perfect show, FFS.
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    sam edwick wrote: »
    Perfect enough and epic enough for me. If you didn't get it then that's no bad thing really, I suppose. I remember being pissed off with The Prisoner in its earlier incarnation. You can't win all the time. When one programme doesn't fit your expectations or fulfil then maybe one day you'll find something that does. Let's hope that you do. Badgering on at other people about how they shouldn't have appreciated it for this or that or whatever reason isn't really working. Move on and find your perfect show, FFS.

I "got" the ending, I just think it was a poor one for a show that for 6 years has made me go OMFG. To me the ending made me feel like I was a balloon that someone had popped and I was a deflated, sad and disappointed mess on the floor. I was genuinely gutted that it ended how it did and whenever I've explained it to people today, it's made it worse and made me angrier and angrier (and yes I know - it's just a TV show - but I don't think I've ever loved and got so involved with a show as what I did with Lost)
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm still glad this site has it wrong

http://www.lostisagame.com/recent_updates.htm

Though they still seem to think the finale 'proves' it was a video game.

"To the nay sayers who have been so critical of me and my theory over the years- watch all 6 seasons again. You have missed so much"

That's even more misguided than thinking they were in purgatory the *whole* time. :)
  • sam edwicksam edwick Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    I "got" the ending, I just think it was a poor one for a show that for 6 years has made me go OMFG.

Well I hope that you can eventually find a TV show that satisfies you 100%. It's just one of those things, I guess. You can look at things with expectations and "can't wait for the next WTF moment" and being blown away all the time, but your expectations progressively become less likely to be fulfilled. Don't get angry - it's not worth it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sam edwick wrote: »
    Well I hope that you can eventually find a TV show that satisfies you 100%. It's just one of those things, I guess. You can look at things with expectations and "can't wait for the next WTF moment" and being blown away all the time, but your expectations progressively become less likely to be fulfilled. Don't get angry - it's not worth it.

Babylon 5 and DS9 both did their endings better than Lost did.

Even Dawson's Creek had to do another finale after the first one was considered rubbish.