Options

Will BBC1 HD launch on 1 October?

BoatmanBoatman Posts: 513
Forum Member
✭✭
So far there has been no definate date for the launch on BBC1 HD but looking at the schedules for 1 October looks good.
On this day the Ryder Cup starts and even though it is advertised to be in HD, BBC HD are not showing it. According to Radio Times. Similarly for the Commonwealth Games which starts the following Sunday.
Does anyone else have any info on this?

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the Ryder Cup is on Sky Sports.
    at best the BBC will only have selected highlights (and even then i don't they have that).
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,681
    Forum Member
    Will BBC1 HD start date threads stop being started when it finally launches?

We must be up to five or six by now.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boatman wrote: »
    So far there has been no definate date for the launch on BBC1 HD but looking at the schedules for 1 October looks good.
    On this day the Ryder Cup starts and even though it is advertised to be in HD, BBC HD are not showing it. According to Radio Times. Similarly for the Commonwealth Games which starts the following Sunday.
    Does anyone else have any info on this?

There are Ryder Cup highlights on BBC HD on all three days of the tournament.

Saturday's and Sunday's are simulcast with BBC2, but Friday's are shifted until the middle of the night (12.50am).
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC press packs for 2 - 8 October are out and make no reference to anything other than BBC HD and 'the BBCs HD channel' (as in singular).

They also do not refer to the golf as being on BBC HD by the way.

Though these packs have been very misleading lately (eg they said Merlin WAS on in HD when it isn't).
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC press packs for 2 - 8 October are out and make no reference to anything other than BBC HD and 'the BBCs HD channel' (as in singular).

They also do not refer to the golf as being on BBC HD by the way.

Though these packs have been very misleading lately (eg they said Merlin WAS on in HD when it isn't).
    Ahead of any public announcement, I would find it rather odd if the press packs/programme info made any mention of BBC one HD (as they would be jumping the gun).
  • Options
    AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1 HD
    October 15 2010
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AppleTango wrote: »
    BBC1 HD
    October 15 2010
    Guess, speculation or official announcement?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    It does seem to indicate that (unless plans have changed of course).
    Looking ahead, the launch of BBC 1 HD in November is perhaps the moment when BBC HD really comes of age. And at Red Bee Media, you can be sure we’ll be raising a glass or two to celebrate.

I wonder when that document was written?
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,686
    Forum Member
    Shame it isn't launching that day as it would easily overshadow the launch of Sky 3D.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any more guesses? Someone is bound to get it right in the end and then they can claim they knew all along. :)

I guess there will be a thread on here with the date 0.1 seconds after the BBC announce it.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's going to be HD on BBC One?

From what I gather it may clear up some space on BBC HD. With any luck that channel will start repeating the likes of Rab C Nesbitt, Top Gear, movies all in HD.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member

From what I gather it may clear up some space on BBC HD. With any luck that channel will start repeating the likes of Rab C Nesbitt, Top Gear, movies all in HD.

Match of the Day will go HD when the sports dept. move to Manchester, the whole point of the 'EastEnders' fire was to get rid of the Queen Vic's set and rebuild it for HD without having it suddenley appear unexplained in the show.

When the launch was initially announced, they said that they intended to upgrade the majority of their programming to HD within the first 6 months IIRC (that's the programming that isn't already HD: a lot of it's core programming is).

There'll obviously be a lot more CBBC and CBeebies programming on BBC HD from then onwards, I imagine it'll also carry repeats of BBC One programming (much as now).

I do wonder if That Mitchell and Webb Look, currently shown mostly on the HD channel, will be shown on BBC One when BBC1HD launches.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QI was in HD on BBC HD earlier, don't recall seeing that before.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    QI was in HD on BBC HD earlier, don't recall seeing that before.

It has been on before, it’s an extended repeat from last Friday :D, but yes I think your right this is the first series made in HD.

I noticed that Spooks is not in HD and with the BBC made to freeze the licence fee next year perhaps they have thrown their dummy out of the pram and will not start a new HD channel this year. :)
  • Options
    bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,710
    Forum Member
    The Apprentice was shot in HD and that is starting October, i would imagine being one of the biggest shows on the BBc they would want this to kickstart the launch rather than putting it on BBC HD then having to move it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    It has been on before, it’s an extended repeat from last Friday :D, but yes I think your right this is the first series made in HD.

I noticed that Spooks is not in HD and with the BBC made to freeze the licence fee next year perhaps they have thrown their dummy out of the pram and will not start a new HD channel this year. :)
    Might be better to ditch BBC HD and put all HD programmes on BBC1/BBC1 HD anyway.

BBC HD is only ever a showcase really, good HD content is also transmitted on an SD channel simultaneously anyway.

It's probably better just to have BBC1 HD and stop BBC HD, which will make better use of bandwidth and resources.

Maybe in time they can add/convert other BBC channels to HD, as that's clearly the way forward for household TV for the next 20 years or so. A separate "HD" only channel doesn't really make much sense to me in the longer term.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobAnt wrote: »
    Might be better to ditch BBC HD and put all HD programmes on BBC1/BBC1 HD anyway.

BBC HD is only ever a showcase really, good HD content is also transmitted on an SD channel simultaneously anyway.

It's probably better just to have BBC1 HD and stop BBC HD, which will make better use of bandwidth and resources.

Maybe in time they can add/convert other BBC channels to HD, as that's clearly the way forward for household TV for the next 20 years or so. A separate "HD" only channel doesn't really make much sense to me in the longer term.
    BBC HD is indeed meant to showcase HD programming from all current BBC channels, so when BBC one HD launches (November by the looks of that Red Bee Media document) BBC HD will be able to carry more HD programmimng from BBC2/BBC3/BBC4/CBBC/Cbbeebies (and will have around 3 hrs more transmission time). It will also go some way to alleviating the frustration schedule clashes when you get a programme filmed in HD broadcast on say BBC2 at the same time as one broadcast on BBC one (or BBC4). So, BBC HD should of course stay in order that it can showcase the increasing HD output from the remaining channels.

As for putting all HD content on to BBC one/one HD, that would mean that the accepted channel definitions (especially those for BBC3/4) would be thrown away, with that content appearing on BBC one (at the expense of otehr BBC one content having to be removed or displaced).
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AppleTango wrote: »
    BBC1 HD
    October 15 2010

so its october 15th?
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    so its october 15th?

Well my birthday is the 16th so hope the OH isn’t going to use this as my birthday present for this year.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    Well my birthday is the 16th so hope the OH isn’t going to use this as my birthday present for this year.:D

nothing would suprise me:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so its october 15th?
    No, as far as I can make out, that is a date touted almost as fact on a few threads, but without any actual evidence (ah, the wonders of the web).

But what we do have is a document from RedBee Media (link posted above, post #9, by DejaVoodoo) which mentions November.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    No, as far as I can make out, that is a date touted almost as fact on a few threads, but without any actual evidence (ah, the wonders of the web).

But what we do have is a document from RedBee Media (link posted above, post #9, by DejaVoodoo) which mentions November.

oh right,clearly the BBC are not the right mind to give out good information freely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh right,clearly the BBC are not the right mind to give out good information freely?

Perhaps they still have to ensure that no last-minute technical hitches will impact any planned date, so are waiting before releasing an official date (which is much better than announcing a date and then having to delay). i'm sure that there was one post in one of the many "BBC one HD.... when?" threads that said that an announcement would be made in the next few weeks.

EDIT: Here is that post from 13th Sept:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=44070137&postcount=39
    So, we are one week on, so according to that post, an announcement should be made within the next two weeks.

Mind you, I can't see what the issue is - yes, it's nice to know, but if we assume that a date is being aimed for internally, making that date known is not going to hasten its arrival, it's not going to mean that it will be sooner, and it's not really going to mean that your life will irrevocably change if that date is known ..... will it? We know that it is coming this Autumn, so any decisions that you or I will make (like buying a HD PVR) will be pretty much the same whether we know the date now or later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    As for putting all HD content on to BBC one/one HD, that would mean that the accepted channel definitions (especially those for BBC3/4) would be thrown away, with that content appearing on BBC one (at the expense of otehr BBC one content having to be removed or displaced).
    Whether or not that is "a good thing" is a matter of some debate.

At the end of the day, SD transmissions are bound to cease, it simply makes sense to me to start that process at the earliest opportunity, and this would appear to be it.

BBC 3/4 are part time channels themselves, much is repeated from BBC1/2 anyway. Again, it might not have been the intent of the BBC to maintain 3/4 for too much longer anyway, now that the DSO is virtually complete. Their budget will have to be cut in the future and any parring away of dead twigs could save them a lot of money.