Nokia N8 Officially Announced!

Comments

• Options
    mrvgargmrvgarg Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone is interested here is a prototype of the Nokia E7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owH8aiQr8pw

I can't see any lag issues that reviewers keep mentioning!!
  • Options
    RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to TechRrunch this morning:
    Nokia has finally announced the UK release date of ...22 October...from...Three, O2, Orange, T-Mobile and...Vodafone...

However, if you...want to get it a week earlier (on the 15 October) then that can be achieved through the Nokia web shop...

Read more: TechRadar

Nokia Direct have also updated their listeing to say
    Get N8 first direct from Nokia - Order Now for dispatch Thursday 14th Oct - Exclusively 1 week before general UK release.

Shipping - Allow 9 days for Free delivery

So just over a week to go.

Looks like Amazon will be making it available before the official UK retail release. Amazon's release is listed as the 18th, either that or they haven't changed it yet. Play.com now lists 5 November
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sotek wrote: »
    On the hardware side the phone is excellent and I wouldn't have any problem in buying one IF it was running a different OS. I'm not sure how you can say 'no particularly good reason' if you have read the very negative comments they make about the performance of Symbian.

It's clearly a more subtle review than the Guardian BUT they pick up on a lot of similar criticisms of the OS.

I'm not sure whats really wrong with Symbian (other than eye candy) that hasn't apparently been corrected in S^3.

And by all accounts battery life is looking like being very good for such a device.

Don't forget that all devices and operating systems have faults, none of them are perfect. Which seems to be forgotten.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally, a less biased (biased towards Apple iOS/Goole Android) (mini-)review of the N8

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/yourbusiness/8045593/Review-Nokia-N8-has-staying-power.html

Although, to be fair, it's not exactly a detailed one, but at least it's not attempting to give credit where credit's due.

Also, received an email from Nokia Direct earlier saying delivery will be within the two weeks.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The phone's getting a lot of buzz. It's not my next phone but it deserves to be a success and i hope it does really well for Nokia!

And looks like it will be available in the next 2 weeks!

Also just heard a rumour that the only N8′s available on the 15th from Nokia Online will be the grey, silver and green versions with the blue and orange to follow later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    The phone's getting a lot of buzz. It's not my next phone but it deserves to be a success and i hope it does really well for Nokia!

The buzz is getting better and better as well, at least on the camera.

gsmarena did a truly "blind" test against the pixon12 and a dedicated sony compact, with a viewers vote as to which was best.

The N8 truly did walk away with it, clearly even better than the Sony digicam. To all those people who said that a phone cam could never better a dedicate camera, nyah nyah nyah :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An N8 review from The Telegraph. Got a pretty good write-up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/yourbusiness/8045593/Review-Nokia-N8-has-staying-power.html

Pretty fair and unbiased review i reckon. Gave it 4 out of 5 stars and said it's the best touchscreen mobile phone from Nokia to date.
  • Options
    technoflaretechnoflare Posts: 2,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still think they are 18 months too late with this phone....time has moved on and the thing about reviews is they dont find the bugs that have long been an issue with Nokia.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An N8 review from The Telegraph. Got a pretty good write-up.

Pretty fair and unbiased review i reckon. Gave it 4 out of 5 stars and said it's the best touchscreen mobile phone from Nokia to date.

As linked above ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still think they are 18 months too late with this phone....time has moved on and the thing about reviews is they dont find the bugs that have long been an issue with Nokia.....

I've only read of one bug so far on the N8, some obscure issue with zoom on video recording. Otherwise it seems to have been fine. And reviewers will definitely talk about bugs if they find them - especially wtih Nokia, as its trendy to knock them at every possible turn.

There were definitely bugs on Nokias in years gone by - a lot of those were down to operator customisations (as soon as I got my N73/N95/N85 onto vanilla builds they were reliable), although that can't be said of the N97.

18 months too late though? really? For a device with a truly class leading camera, USB OTG (first phone to support it), HDMI output, high end GPU acceleration?
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    I've only read of one bug so far on the N8, some obscure issue with zoom on video recording. Otherwise it seems to have been fine. And reviewers will definitely talk about bugs if they find them - especially wtih Nokia, as its trendy to knock them at every possible turn.

There were definitely bugs on Nokias in years gone by - a lot of those were down to operator customisations (as soon as I got my N73/N95/N85 onto vanilla builds they were reliable), although that can't be said of the N97.

18 months too late though? really? For a device with a truly class leading camera, USB OTG (first phone to support it), HDMI output, high end GPU acceleration?

I'm still stuck with an N96 on contract and it makes an ideal doorstop.
    Is it trendy to complain that the autorotate locks up very often in normal use so that I have to power it down and restart to send a text (have you tried texting sideways on an N96, it's a bag of laughs)? Or that it freezes if a text comes in when using the radio (battery out to get it going again). Or even that the sat nav works at best approx one in six times, can't see satellites outdoors with a clear blue sky? Maybe when the camera just produces a black screen just at the moment you try to take a photo? I gave up trying to get iPlayer to work a long time ago (was one of the main reasons for buying the useless heap of junk).
    Can't wait for the contract to run out, it's an iPhone for me next, wouldn't even consider the N8.
  • Options
    technoflaretechnoflare Posts: 2,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the tech might well be up to date but what i mean by 18 months too late is that Andriod and iPhone are the systems to get now when they launched the N97 they had a chance to compete but they produced a lemon. Now they come along with a phone that looks to have so much to offer but as long as its got Symbain under the bonnet who knows that bugs it will have, how good the GPS signal will be and what 3rd party apps we might get.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    The more i read and see about the Nokia N8, the more i become frustrated. This should have been the phone to get me to upgrade from the iphone 3g. It's hardware is top notch, it's price (£330 from Tesco Direct) is even better. But alas the symbian os seems over complicated, the UI is years out of date and the ovi store is poor compared to android and itunes in terms of the ammount of apps.

This phone would have been a huge success if it wasn't for Symbian.

I guess that just leaves the Desire HD for me.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    monkey_123 wrote: »
    The more i read and see about the Nokia N8, the more i become frustrated. This should have been the phone to get me to upgrade from the iphone 3g. It's hardware is top notch, it's price (£330 from Tesco Direct) is even better. But alas the symbian os seems over complicated, the UI is years out of date and the ovi store is poor compared to android and itunes in terms of the ammount of apps.

This phone would have been a huge success if it wasn't for Symbian.

I guess that just leaves the Desire HD for me.
    Have you used one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the phone is no longer listed on the tesco mobile website
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    the phone is no longer listed on the tesco mobile website

Works fine for me.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.209-8479.aspx
  • Options
    Forum Member

yeah the payg one is on tesco direct. but the tesco mobile site for contract phones no longer lists it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah the payg one is on tesco direct. but the tesco mobile site for contract phones no longer lists it.

They've listed it on contract in paper ads though ...

But the Tesco mobile contract site has a mildly strange selection of phones.
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if the N8 is available this way but I have just received a mail from Quidco advising that for one week they are offering a 20% cashback on phones and accessories bought directly from the main Nokia site. Quidco are entirely reputable and although it may take a couple of months for the cash to be paid that is one hell of a discount being offered.

http://www.quidco.com/nokia/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My Mate Has Been Playing With an N8

To put this into context he is an apple user though not really a fanboi. and he is short the nokia stock.
    Have you seen the N8 yet? I just had a play with it (Nokia gave us one to play with). It’s shockingly bad. Looks and feels very solid. Camera is great and battery life good but the UI is awful.... reminds me somehow of that first smartphone I had [6600]. It’s not intuitive and it’s horribly jerky (eg the touch control such as pinch to zoom is a disaster). Bear in mind Nokia wouldn’t let us see this phone until it was ready. What a nightmare.

Which is interesting.

I'm sure the hardware is capable of smooth scrolling etc. the programmers just haven't quite got to grips with it. But it looks like it wont be fully finished by launch. a la N97.

It's going to be a nightmare for people with branded firmware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mate Has Been Playing With an N8

To put this into context he is an apple user though not really a fanboi. and he is short the nokia stock.

Which is interesting.

I'm sure the hardware is capable of smooth scrolling etc. the programmers just haven't quite got to grips with it. But it looks like it wont be fully finished by launch. a la N97.

It's going to be a nightmare for people with branded firmware.

Which is interesting, in that Symbian wasn't ever difficult to use, and was generally quite intuitive. Symbian^1 could be a tad awkward and inconsistent though.

Every (sensible) review and video I've seen shows the UI to be quite smooth.

Its not even slightly on the same level as the N97, there has been nothing obviously wrong with the N8 so far, unless you believe the tripe spouted by Gizmodo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    Which is interesting, in that Symbian wasn't ever difficult to use, and was generally quite intuitive. Symbian^1 could be a tad awkward and inconsistent though.

Every (sensible) review and video I've seen shows the UI to be quite smooth.

Its not even slightly on the same level as the N97, there has been nothing obviously wrong with the N8 so far, unless you believe the tripe spouted by Gizmodo.

Well he's not lying is he.

Intuitive is an interesting word. I think you slightly miss understand what he's saying. why wouldn't you, you've never met him. intuitiveness is not an issue as i see it, you will familiarise yourself with it over time. what he's saying is that in a world where we are used to flicking and gesturing our way around iPhones and Android, symbian feels like windows 98 in a windows 7 world. he's not saying it's difficult so much as more effort than it should be.

the jerkiness i noticed myself on some of the official videos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sotek wrote: »
    Not sure if the N8 is available this way but I have just received a mail from Quidco advising that for one week they are offering a 20% cashback on phones and accessories bought directly from the main Nokia site. Quidco are entirely reputable and although it may take a couple of months for the cash to be paid that is one hell of a discount being offered.

http://www.quidco.com/nokia/

I'm sure it would be available from there. It says 20% on all sales. No exclusions are mentioned apart from the fact that Pay Monthly contract purchases are excluded.

I wanted to get a cover (pref Nokia one) so may just use the 20% offer.

I can kinda understand some peoples comments about intuitiveness of the N8. Although personally, from the array of videos ive seen online, i think it is intuitive. People are forgetting this is Symbian afterall, not IOS or Android.

On the plus side, my order says "Ready for Dispatch"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i take it all with a pinch of salt. i don't think you can tell that much from a phone without living with it.

i still plan to buy one.

i've just got this lingering doubt though. like the N96 and N97 that the software will just never live up to the hardware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    something i've just noticed... the tesco phones aren't unbranded. they have their own product code.
    RileyM wrote: »
    On the plus side, my order says "Ready for Dispatch"
    could you be a lamb and tell me your product code when you get it. 7 digit number beginning 05xxxxx under the battery.