The OFFICIAL Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2 Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I didn't take it that they thought the sword was out for cleaning at all. Just explaining why Dumbledore wanted Harry to have it as it would be strong and able to destroy a Horcrux due to the venom.

They seem to have missed out the painting bit so will be interesting IF they explain the sword in the second half, how they go about it.

In the books, the reason why the sword is missing or not in its place at the beginning was coz it was "out for cleaning". I know they didn't think it was out for cleaning but for me it was weird that they mentioned cleaning the sword coz cleaning the sword had never been mentioned. Also there was no mention of why Bellatrix would think it was in her vault coz Ginny/Neville/Luna haven't tried to nick it so Snape hasn't had to give it to her to put it in her vault.

Plus Scrimegeour said it was "missing" therefore why would Bellatrix have it or think she has it in her vault.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Loved the film.

I noticed that McGonagall (Maggie Smith) was not in Part 1, or did I miss her? In the wedding scene, I think I saw the hat she wears among the crowd, but surely she would have had one proper appearance had she attended the wedding.

Anyone see her, or can confirm she was not in it?

I dont think she appears in the early part of book 7 she will definatly feature in the 2nd part
  • lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry lakes but I disagree. There was a LOT of material left out of The Deathly Hallows book (see my 1st post on this thread for just a few).

As I stated already, I did enjoy the film, but felt an awful lot of detail was left out. Others have said that the films WILL differ from the books so we shouldn't expect them to be identical, which I appreciate, but it really gets on my wick when they completely change elements of the story or just disregard entire sections completely. Left me feeling slightly disappointed in truth.

i do understand what you are saying but the bits that were left out did not leave big holes in the plot...well most of them anyway lol

and far less that some films,take Stand by Me, great film, but if you read the book The Body you will sit there with the film on thinking, what the hell, where the thunder bolt.

they was the films have been made have done the books wel. god yes some bits from book 4 that got missed i would have loved to have seen on film, but unless you are going to make each film 4hours long then cuts need to be made and i think the right cuts were made for this film, i mean is saying goodbye to a family that we did not get to know much in the books such a big thing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much is Lucius Malfoy in the second half of book 7? IIRC he's not in it much just brief appearances in the Hogwarts battle unless they have Voldy giving the Malfoys some after they let harry escape.

Voldemort's retrieving of the Elder wand was a bit premature wasn't it. We didn't have any of the information proving that Dumbledore's wand was the Elder wand i.e. the chat with Ollivander at Shell's cottage which makes me think that we aren't going to get that chat. Although Harry did say that Dumbledore was after it and it was the most powerful wand ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lakes wrote: »
    i do understand what you are saying but the bits that were left out did not leave big holes in the plot...well most of them anyway lol

and far less that some films,take Stand by Me, great film, but if you read the book The Body you will sit there with the film on thinking, what the hell, where the thunder bolt.

they was the films have been made have done the books wel. god yes some bits from book 4 that got missed i would have loved to have seen on film, but unless you are going to make each film 4hours long then cuts need to be made and i think the right cuts were made for this film, i mean is saying goodbye to a family that we did not get to know much in the books such a big thing?
    I agree with you. If you were to read the Bourne books and then see the films you will go where the hell is 1/3rd of the plot.

At least they aren't getting rid of any major plot lines which in some adaptions of books the filmmakers have done.
  • lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    priggy wrote: »
    I agree with you. If you were to read the Bourne books and then see the films you will go where the hell is 1/3rd of the plot.

At least they aren't getting rid of any major plot lines which in some adaptions of books the filmmakers have done.

lol someone told me about the Bourne books, they said it was almost a cheek to call the fims by the same name lol

then again if you read the shinning and then saw the film you again would be very unhappy lol.....but they did make a two part re make some time ago that stuck to the book 100%.....and it was very poor lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lakes wrote: »
    lol someone told me about the Bourne books, they said it was almost a cheek to call the fims by the same name lol

then again if you read the shinning and then saw the film you again would be very unhappy lol.....but they did make a two part re make some time ago that stuck to the book 100%.....and it was very poor lol

Yeah, not really same plot. The problem is the Bourne books are 600 odd pages long and there is no fat on the bone with 3 very entangled plot lines. The secondary plot line wouldn't have happened without the third plot that they cut in the film. Because they cut it in the first film, the 3rd film was nothing like the book it was based on because they had cut the plot line that was integral to the plot in the first film.

Just glad that WB allowed JK to have ultimate say because otherwise we could have had the same thing with the books now coz they would or could've cut integral plot lines without knowing it therefore having to change the plot lines of future books significantly meaning that HBP/DH1&2 would be nowhere near the same as the books.
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it today. Thought it was amazing

I know there's changes from the book, but didn't really bother me. I knew they'd make changes, it's exciting to see what changes they've made.
    When Harry released Hedwig I thought they'd let the bird live, but no they didn't! And used it as the reason why they knew it was him

I was wondering about how much blood there would be in cause the book it describes it as very bloody in places.

I loved the film, there was no dodgy acting and was very moving in places. It was a bit depressing at times, but then again I cried throughout reading the whole book!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,283
    Forum Member
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    When Harry released Hedwig I thought they'd let the bird live, but no they didn't! And used it as the reason why they knew it was him
    I found it quite sad/annoying that Harry wasn't more cut up about her dying.
  • Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the film! Have never read the books. Bought the first one when it came out but couldn't be bothered to read it. Bought the last two but only flicked through them. I'm not a reader at all.

Love the films though!

Not sure where this is exactly in terms of my favourite to least favourite. Definitely at the top somewhere.

I'd need to watch them all again to be sure, but I think its like this:

1. The Chamber of Secrets
    2. The Deathly Hallows Part 1
    3. The Goblet of Fire
    4. The Half Blood Prince
    5. The Prisoner of Azkaban
    6. The Philosopher's Stone
    7. The Order of the Phoenix
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it wrong that i never cried at Hedwig dying? I've not yet cried during a HP film. Actually there is only film that has brought me to tears and that is the Lion King when Mufasa dies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say, reflecting on it now I've only just noticed how different it felt. Not being set in Hogwarts made the film seem totally different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it wrong that i never cried at Hedwig dying? I've not yet cried during a HP film. Actually there is only film that has brought me to tears and that is the Lion King when Mufasa dies.

I've never cried at a HP film either. I do cry at some films though. I have a big feeling that watching the end of HP may make me cry simply because it will mark the end of my childhood. It tends to be the ones I can really relate to which get to me the most, and so with the end of Harry Potter coming at a time I will be leaving sixth form and starting another chapter of my life I really feel like that will be the moment it hits me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello. wrote: »
    Loved the film! Have never read the books. Bought the first one when it came out but couldn't be bothered to read it. Bought the last two but only flicked through them. I'm not a reader at all.

Love the films though!

Not sure where this is exactly in terms of my favourite to least favourite. Definitely at the top somewhere.

I'd need to watch them all again to be sure, but I think its like this:

1. The Chamber of Secrets
    2. The Deathly Hallows Part 1
    3. The Goblet of Fire
    4. The Half Blood Prince
    5. The Prisoner of Azkaban
    6. The Philosopher's Stone
    7. The Order of the Phoenix
    Out of interest, does it annoy you if I or someone else on here discuss what comes next in the books when you don't know as you haven't read the books.
    Or because you have no clue as to what we're talking about does it excite you to find out what we're all talking about?

As a non-reader of the books, did you understand Order of the Phoenix? As a reader, i was confused but not sure whether that's coz i knew the book.

Also did you find the bit where Hermione remembers the sword is goblin-made and therefore doesn't need cleaning and it can destroy horcruxes a bit forced?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never cried at a HP film either. I do cry at some films though. I have a big feeling that watching the end of HP may make me cry simply because it will mark the end of my childhood. It tends to be the ones I can really relate to which get to me the most, and so with the end of Harry Potter coming at a time I will be leaving sixth form and starting another chapter of my life I really feel like that will be the moment it hits me.

I've cried at the books but then again i feel more connected to the characters in the book than on screen which for me feels weird. I can feel something for a fictional character written in word but can't when the same character is being portrayed on screen.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the film tonight. One of the best I thought. Again for people who haven't read the books some important parts of the plot were annoyingly left out, but if you think of the films as 'add ons' for the books they work. As stand alone films they probably don't - they are for fans. Must be very confusing for people who haven't read the books.

Daniel, Emma and Rupert all put in good performances. I liked Rhys Ifans too as Luna's father, usually I don't like him as an actor, but he was just right as Xeno.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest, does it annoy you if I or someone else on here discuss what comes next in the books when you don't know as you haven't read the books.
    Or because you have no clue as to what we're talking about does it excite you to find out what we're all talking about?

As a non-reader of the books, did you understand Order of the Phoenix? As a reader, i was confused but not sure whether that's coz i knew the book.

Also did you find the bit where Hermione remembers the sword is goblin-made and therefore doesn't need cleaning and it can destroy horcruxes a bit forced?

No, I'm terrible for spoilers. Like I said, I bought the last two books. Want to know why? Well, like I said I flicked through them. I wanted to know what happens! But as someone who just can't get comfortable and concentrate to read a book, I simply looked up the main plot points and the ending. Probably only a few pages!

So obviously, I don't know the details of events and so when I read some reviews on places like this I can get a bit confused. Sometimes I even forget who characters are (the less important ones of the film series) and so it can be a bit of a bother knowing what is being said. Does grate me when people say the films a rubbish though because of differences from the books, as I adore them as a non-reader. It does excite me reading about certain things! I am trying to limit my knowledge though to ensure there are some suprises. I thought I knew a lot about part 1 but there was some lovely things I didn't know about and nothing ever quite appears on screen in a predictable way which is great.

The Order of the Phoenix I just find a bit boring which is why its my least favourite. I'm not sure why, but I have it set in my mind that not a lot happens until near the end. I think it lacked comedy too - which the Deathly Hallows does too, but in a satisfying way this time as it feels like people shouldn't be laughing quite so much. Not as much development for the characters compared to the films surrounding the Order of the Phoenix either, I would say. Apart from Harry's kiss and short relationship. Otherwise, from memory I pretty much knew what was happening.

The sword thing - well, have to admit I don't even remember that! I don't really care about the little details quite so much. They just sort of pass me by. I care about the characters and what happens to them, as well as the main story and how the series will come to an end. There are always going to be small plot points in films like these which seem too forced or unlikely if you look into them I'm sure, but as long as events seem to flow and the consequences seem to make sense I'm happy with what I have seen. After all, its all fiction anyway! For a film like this to seem as real as it does though is a fantastic achievement and a work of movie art.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the film tonight. One of the best I thought. Again for people who haven't read the books some important parts of the plot were annoyingly left out, but if you think of the films as 'add ons' for the books they work. As stand alone films they probably don't - they are for fans. Must be very confusing for people who haven't read the books.

Daniel, Emma and Rupert all put in good performances. I liked Rhys Ifans too as Luna's father, usually I don't like him as an actor, but he was just right as Xeno.

Not confusing at all. Although I can see how those who do not rewatch the previous films may find the Deathly Hallows confusing. It does well to use flashbacks of the previous film to help remind the audience of what is happening, though. I found this film in particular very easy to understand without having read it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »

I don't think there was anything major missed out. There were flaws.
    How did Snape know they were in the Forest of Dean?
    They didn't properly explain that the Invisibility cloak was a Hallow or that the ring was a hallow or the elder wand was a hallow or why Voldemort really wants the Elder wand.
    They are not or probably not going to explain wandlore and passing of the wands which is supposed to happen at the beginning of the next film but i don't think anything major has been missed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They only know the elder wand is a hallow, they suspect that harry's cloak is the hallow but they don't know that the ring once belonged to a peverell brother, or that it is the ressurection stone until the princes tale chapter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Order of the Phoenix I just find a bit boring which is why its my least favourite. I'm not sure why, but I have it set in my mind that not a lot happens until near the end. I think it lacked comedy too - which the Deathly Hallows does too, but in a satisfying way this time as it feels like people shouldn't be laughing quite so much. Not as much development for the characters compared to the films surrounding the Order of the Phoenix either, I would say. Apart from Harry's kiss and short relationship. Otherwise, from memory I pretty much knew what was happening.

The sword thing - well, have to admit I don't even remember that! I don't really care about the little details quite so much. They just sort of pass me by. I care about the characters and what happens to them, as well as the main story and how the series will come to an end. There are always going to be small plot points in films like these which seem too forced or unlikely if you look into them I'm sure, but as long as events seem to flow and the consequences seem to make sense I'm happy with what I have seen. After all, its all fiction anyway! For a film like this to seem as real as it does though is a fantastic achievement and a work of movie art.
    It stood out for me because it felt like forced info plus it felt smoother in the books.

Did you feel the prophecy was explained properly in order of the phoenix?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    They only know the elder wand is a hallow, they suspect that harry's cloak is the hallow but they don't know that the ring once belonged to a peverell brother, or that it is the ressurection stone until the princes tale chapter

They don't know the elder wand was a hallow until meeting with Ollivander which prob won't happen in the films.
    I'm pretty sure in the books at this point they knew the Invisibility cloak was a hallow coz it hasn't worn out for years and it was handed down from father to son for generations. In the film they don't but in the books, you know it could be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It stood out for me because it felt like forced info plus it felt smoother in the books.

Did you feel the prophecy was explained properly in order of the phoenix?

You're pushing me now. :p Which prophecy was that? I can't remember what you are talking about right now. Haven't seen the Order of the Phoenix for a little while. Am getting a new TV soon so I'm going to have a Harry Potter marathon as soon as possible.

I just looked up the movies wikipedia page to refresh my mind and I think it made complete sense. I believe it was referred to several times and there was a line which summed up the prophecy right near the end which is all I needed to know. I definitely never got confused watching the Order of the Phoenix. Some things might have passed me by, but I suppose by then I'd watched the previous 4 films so many times I pretty much understood the world of Harry Potter. No doubt what I know of the Order of the Phoenix will be different to the summary of a reader, though.

Have to say, the think about Order... is that when I watched the Half Blood Price afterwards it felt like a breath of fresh air with the mix of emotion, comedy etc. seeming far greater. It seemed a lot darker than usual, Order, but in a way which didn't suit the series (in my opinion).

Being dark suits the Deathly Hallows and the more I think about it the more I appreciate how different it actually was to the rest of the series. I hadn't expected it to seem so different away from Hogwarts. Not sure how to explain it, but it made everything all the more frightening. I guess to me and to the characters school/ Hogwarts was like a safe place to be at times - with Hogwarts out of bounds the characters were left to fend for themselves which made them act more grown up than ever before. Very, very good.
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, so this is where I'm at. I'm a huge, huge "Potter purist".. I love the books for everything they've made, the Wizarding World, the characters, incredible, incredible. As for the films, they just pass by me. I make the effort to go see them at the pictures, but I haven't in anyway been poised to see this for months (in fact I forgot it was even coming out this week until I was reminded about two or three weeks ago). I love, love the first film because of how utterly magical it is - I don't think the latter films focus much on the magical feeling of the Wizarding World much. But yeah, PS and CoS for me are great films. I dislike GOF and OotP was soo confusing even for me.

I have to say though I was quite impressed by Deathly Hallows. I haven't read the book in a while, but I was glad not to because I didn't want to come out of the cinema and be all "Well this didn't happen" or "They cut this out" because that doesn't judge a film on any merits. As a whole, I thought the story was told really well, and I didn't want it to end. I think I'll put it definitely as #3 on my list.

I'm much more connected to the series through the books but I wasn't expecting this film to re-ignite my emotions quite so much. As far as I'm concerned, the franchise is already over and has been since 2007. I had come to terms with it being over. But watching this film brought back emotions I wasn't expecting would be roused again.

I thought the opening scene where Hermione, Ron and Harry are leaving their respective homes so touching, and in the Wizarding society the way it was set up to that point it made it so much more tragic. My heart was breaking for Hermione casting the Obliviate spell on her parents. Gah!

Emma Watson was fantastic in it, all the way. Definitely my favourite out of the three. I loved the Dobby bits - again because I remember how intense my emotions were when reading the books. Everybody loves Dobby, and he died saving Harry Potter!!! :)

I thought the tone of the movie was great, but I agree that there was definitely something missing without Hogwarts AT ALL. The music was great and the lighting really helped connect with the feelings of the characters. I really get the sense of the imposing Government and the terror the whole society faces with these films; one thing they definitely get right.

There were a couple of negatives for me... I agree about the invisibility cloak - I have no clue why not one of them mentioned the invisibility cloak!!

I also really hated The Three Brothers animation. I don't get why they chose to do it like that? I thought it really didn't fit in with the rest of the film, and I was left with a raised eyebrow all the way through the sequence. It just didn't sit right with me.

Another thing as well was just how human Voldemort was made. I get it that Voldy wanted to return to power with a human body, but at the beginning of the film with that scene around the table, one wouldn't be wrong for assuming he was just another Death Eater. I thought Voldemort lost his sense of terror in this film. Throughout the books he was mysterious and powerful, in the film he wasn't so mysterious anymore.

It did leave me excited to see what happens next though (even though I already know lol) and if Part 2 is anything like Part 1 it should really reconcile these films back to me.

It wasn't perfect, but it definitely wasn't as difficult viewing for me as the last three/four Potter films have been. :)
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't think much of it to be honest.

The animation scene was by far the best part.

Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson still need to learn to act. Very cringe-worthy in most parts.

I prefer the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 6th film over this one.

Hopefully Part 2 is better. I have completely forgotten the books TBH.