Fringe Season 3 (Sky 1 pace)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maysles wrote: »
    I am a new viewer to Fringe, I missed the first two seasons but just leapt right into the third season and I have been LOVING it so far. I keep reading that this season has been inaccessible for new viewers and I can totally understand why it would be, but I think I'm following everything ok.

If you are a uk viewer in a Virgin Media area season 1 & 2 are available on demand.

I realise thats unlikely but you never know ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else have their series link on Sky+ not work for next Tuesday? I've just had to manually add it to my planner now, plus next week's new episode doesn't have series link as an option to link to the following week (7/12). Very odd. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bubbsy wrote: »
    Anyone else have their series link on Sky+ not work for next Tuesday? I've just had to manually add it to my planner now, plus next week's new episode doesn't have series link as an option to link to the following week (7/12). Very odd. :confused:

Its on a weeks break as per the commentator at the end of the episode, you have just added an old episode to your planner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its on a weeks break as per the commentator at the end of the episode, you have just added an old episode to your planner.
    Don't I feel like the dumbass. LOL. That'll teach me to watch the end credits. Thanks. :D
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    bohoboy wrote: »
    I prefer Bolivia (Bad Olivia).
    Yeah, but that a country somewhere, isn't it? :D

Another good ep this week, with a cracking finale.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great episode this week....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Superb episode! Real edge of the seat stuff.

We actually saw a bit of humanity from Walternate when he was talking to Broyles about their sons' kidnappings - he's no longer a black and white character for me, which is going to make the question of whose side I ultimately come down on all the more tricky! John Noble is awesome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nook26 wrote: »
    Superb episode! Real edge of the seat stuff.

We actually saw a bit of humanity from Walternate when he was talking to Broyles about their sons' kidnappings - he's no longer a black and white character for me, which is going to make the question of whose side I ultimately come down on all the more tricky! John Noble is awesome.

We also saw his coldness too. Remember his comment about them not being the same when they come back? I think thats another indication he is intending to sacrifice Peter to run The Machine :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Ja88ed wrote: »
    We also saw his coldness too. Remember his comment about them not being the same when they come back? I think thats another indication he is intending to sacrifice Peter to run The Machine :(

Good point and I think I would have to agree with you that he is planning to use Peter in the machine. Thinking back to our Walter in his pre-asylum days, he clearly thought nothing of experimenting on children so I guess Walternate will still feel that way.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bohoboy wrote: »
    I prefer Bolivia (Bad Olivia).
    Except I'm still not 100% clear that she's really bad. She thinks she's saving her entire universe and she's willing to make sacrifices for that. She's been taught that the people in our universe are evil and will destroy her's, but there is some evidence that she's starting to question that. The show is striving to avoid the "evil twin" cliché.
  • bohoboybohoboy Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Except I'm still not 100% clear that she's really bad. She thinks she's saving her entire universe and she's willing to make sacrifices for that. She's been taught that the people in our universe are evil and will destroy her's, but there is some evidence that she's starting to question that. The show is striving to avoid the "evil twin" cliché.

I know that but in terms of her versus our Olivia she is the bad one, in that she's in bed with Peter and that's gotta pretty much screw things up for our Olivia with Peter.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

And look at the way he glared at our Olivia when his troops captured her, and when she was in the cell at the end of "Over There Part 2". He absolutely hates Olivia, as well as Earth-1 (the "monsters" and "creatures" references I mentioned earlier). :eek:
    I suspect whatever Walternate's is planning to use the machine to do to Earth-1, it won't cause sunshine, lollipops and rainbows to appear there...
    Forum Member
    Poor Oliva.

Remember the old Observer saying at the end of "August", that "It's a shame things are about to get hard for her"? Looks like he was right!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member

His face at the end of the episode was menacing, really scary, in fact it gave me the creeps.

It is great seeing the contrast between the two Walters, one child-like at times, the other could kill with a look :)
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    I do hope that the producers do avoid the usual 'evil twin' cliche of killing off the 'bad twin', hopefully she can continue her character development either in the Prime Universise or Over There.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the swapping between universe's each week is getting predictable. They need to vary it more.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    It's a common theme in sci-fi though that there was a progenitor humanoid race not always from Earth, often called ancients or forerunners, who travelled the stars and achieved all sorts of amazing things long before modern humans evolved. Fringe has just borrowed it.
    It's the "modern human" bit that makes this such bad science as it implies that the precursors would have been "human" or at least "humanoid". The reinforces the misconception that things evolve towards something which of course they don't.

Probably the only thing that's worse science in sci-fi is the nonsense when humans and other races (e.g. Vulcans and Klingons) interbreed although the way aliens all speak American is right up there (yes I know they sometimes have technological nonsense like the "universal translator" to explain this).
    Forum Member
    His face at the end of the episode was menacing, really scary, in fact it gave me the creeps.

It is great seeing the contrast between the two Walters, one child-like at times, the other could kill with a look :)

I've been wondering: perhaps Walternate is also mentally ill, albeit in a less detectable way than Walter?

I remember reading in the "New Scientist" about a real-life form of sociopathic personality disorder, whose sufferers are brilliant and charismatic, but lack empathy and show no remorse when other human beings suffer. They often only display emotion when trying to manipulative someone. The article said the late,unlamented Robert Maxwell was probably a sociopath.

Maybe Walternate is also a sociopath? He is undoubtably clever and charismatic, we've seen him only display emotion when trying to manipulative other people (Peter,
    Brainwashed Olivia, Alt-Broyles). He has no empathy for Olivia, or the inhabitants of our world (and maybe his concern for the folk stuck in amber was a ruse to manipulate Broyles?).

Maybe that's the reason Bell cut out bits of Walter's brain-Walter was worried he was turning into a sociopath as well?
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have finally caught up with the last few episdoe, busy schedule recently :) so I have a lot of ground to cover...

Great couple of episodes. The freak of the week stuff was interesting enough. But the story arc stuff is re really steaming forward. There seems to be a coherent story emerging. I had been wondering where the Observers fitted into the overall scheme of things, other than just watching.
    Seems, as has been mentioned several times here, that the Observers are some remnant of the First People. Their mission is either to prevent humanity using the device or to ensure they do use it and correctly. I think more likely the latter as the numbers are pointing us towards the segments. True, this is all very Rambaldi.
    The numbers are most likely being broadcast from another universe, as their location on our earth can not be triangulated. Yes, very Lost.
    The device is described as Creating and Destroying. Seems likely that this created the the multiple universes (how many we don't know). Perhaps it clones universes? There could be severval copies created. It may be that this device wiped out (most of) the First People. Maybe it destroyed their original universe. It could be that our universe and Walternate's universe are both copies of this original one.
    I wonder if the reason Peter can use the device is because he was saved by our Observer, thus Peter is now linked to them somehow. Peter doesn't belong in either universe as he was meant to die in both, but the Observer saved him and now he is out of sync?

Who wrote this book about the First People? Most likely on Observer (or someone who had spoken with one) as nobody else would have the knowledge or evidence to do it.

It's a shame they used head Peter instead of John Scott. It would have made more sense for him to still be in her head and to be able to tell her about where she's from.

As for Peter and Boliva, I think Peter knew in his subconcious. He made several remarks that deemed to indeicate it. But his feelings for Oliva blinded him to this. It will be interesting to see if he tells Oliva about him and Boliva :)

I am feared by the move to friday night. Sci Fi shows go there to die. Dollhouse, Sarah Connor etc.
    Forum Member
    srhDS wrote: »
    Who wrote this book about the First People? Most likely on Observer (or someone who had spoken with one) as nobody else would have the knowledge or evidence to do it.

Seamus Wiles, the author, is an anagram of "Samuel Weiss", which may mean the bowling alley guy wrote it...and that Sam is also millions of years old!

I can't see the Observers writing it-they usually go out of their way to stop humans getting access to special knowledge like that (remember in "Arrival" they were pleased Walter had stopped people stealing
    the Beacon? ).

Interesting thing...Markham the bookseller has copies of the ZFT manuscript, and the First People book, and he also knew who bought Grandpa Bishop's research books.
    Is he more than just a regular bookseller? :confused:
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seamus Wiles, the author, is an anagram of "Samuel Weiss", which may mean the bowling alley guy wrote it...and that Sam is also millions of years old!

that's interesting about Weiss.
    I didn't think the Observers as a group would have written the book, but a rogue Observer might have been involved. Could Weiss have had contact with this rogue Observer? Sometimes an Observer breaks the rules, as in saving Peter.
    Forum Member
    srhDS wrote: »
    that's interesting about Weiss.
    I didn't think the Observers as a group would have written the book, but a rogue Observer might have been involved. Could Weiss have had contact with this rogue Observer? Sometimes an Observer breaks the rules, as in saving Peter.

Jeff Pinker has started we will see Sam Weiss this season, and an Observer-heavy episode as well. I'd like to see Sam meet the Observer for a chat in the bowling alley:

"Hi, Kojak, long time no see!"

"Thank you. I see you run this...sporting event for humans."

"Sure. Now, I'll get you an ultra-hot curry, and we can have a good First Person - Observer chinwag." ;)
    Forum Member
    The trailer for next Tuesday's ep, "Entrada" (spoilers):

http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/11/30/fringe-entrada-trailer-exclusive/
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailer for next Tuesday's ep, "Entrada" (spoilers):

http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/11/30/fringe-entrada-trailer-exclusive/

:D How good does that look?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Was there a new episode this week or just a repeat?
    Im getting very conufused with them slipping repeats in every now and then lol