Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    Should have gone to specsavers :p

maybe you eyesight was not too good.

Do u remember the last oz open, wimbledon and french open and ATP tour finals the two players met in? I know they both wear headbands but could you not tell who was who?

Shows fed struggles with nadal on hard, grass, clay. Nadal struggles with fed indoors
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davey84 wrote: »
    maybe you eyesight was not too good.

Do u remember the last oz open, wimbledon and french open and ATP tour finals the two players met in? I know they both wear headbands but could you not tell who was who?

Shows fed struggles with nadal on hard, grass, clay. Nadal struggles with fed indoors

Twas a joke :rolleyes:

Anyway, I fully expect Rafa to win tomorrow night
    and I must admit it will be nice to see the insanity that he brings to clay courts tomorrow night
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    I'm kinda bored watching this

Same.

I'm just bored of Fedal (and the fan rivalry). :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »
    Same.

Cmon
    its all in good fun!
  • Options
    ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    It was a pretty dull match, neither competitive or fun/banter filled.

Those two are still my favourite match-up though, and I'm looking forward to the Madrid one tonight :):o.
    It'll be great fun wondering if they'll mix it up a bit and Fed will win the second set, or if they'll stick with him winning the first to get the home crowd edgy... :p

It was nice to see a bit of the giggling vid again too :D
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,578
    Forum Member
    Same.

co-sign

here's hoping 2011 is the year of Murray and Nole :p
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    co-sign

here's hoping 2011 is the year of Murray and Nole :p

Yep. I'd be happy with almost anyone breaking the duopoly.

It's not because I dislike Fed or Nadal, but having a bigger depth of competition at slams would just make them much more exciting and less predictable. It's good that we've had four different runners up at slams this year - but they all pretty much rolled over in the final.

I also find the Fedal rivalry overrated. They've had a few classics, and they've been fortunate enough to be in slam finals which has made them stand out more - but the quality only rarely matches the hype, and it's only going to become more one-sided from now on (except indoors ...)

I find the fan rivalry tiresome. A lot is in jest, especially on this thread, which is good, but elsewhere it's just monotonous, with the same old rubbish being thrown around for years. I can hardly stand to go on MTF because almost every thread turns into a Fed vs Rafa fan throwdown.

I dunno ... maybe I'm just a bitter Nole fan, annoyed that my man has only once, three years ago, stepped up to meet the challenge? :o
  • Options
    ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Yep. I'd be happy with almost anyone breaking the duopoly.

It's not because I dislike Fed or Nadal, but having a bigger depth of competition at slams would just make them much more exciting and less predictable. It's good that we've had four different runners up at slams this year - but they all pretty much rolled over in the final.

I also find the Fedal rivalry overrated. They've had a few classics, and they've been fortunate enough to be in slam finals which has made them stand out more - but the quality only rarely matches the hype, and it's only going to become more one-sided from now on (except indoors ...)
    I know what you mean, but I can't not want Rafa to win everything :o - although I'd love to see Murray get a slam too...
    I find the fan rivalry tiresome. A lot is in jest, especially on this thread, which is good, but elsewhere it's just monotonous, with the same old rubbish being thrown around for years. I can hardly stand to go on MTF because almost every thread turns into a Fed vs Rafa fan throwdown.

I dunno ... maybe I'm just a bitter Nole fan, annoyed that my man has only once, three years ago, stepped up to meet the challenge? :o
    Me too *, I'm heartily sick of it, and I'm sorry if I added to it unintentionally in jest this week :o:)

* Sick of the sniping, not a bitter Nole fan! :p
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,578
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean, but I can't not want Rafa to win everything :o - although I'd love to see Murray get a slam too...
    Me too *, I'm heartily sick of it, and I'm sorry if I added to it unintentionally in jest this week :o:)

* Sick of the sniping, not a bitter Nole fan! :p

the thing is most of us knew you were joking, yet it still seemed to start another Fedal war from one poster

this thread is brilliant for banter and I've never felt like it's gone too far (okay maybe I get wound up by the "2 week Murray haters")

but elsewhere on the web the fans of Roger n Rafa need to take a chill pill :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See I think we've been lacking in a Fed Nadal fan war probably since the FO 2009, obviously I know its not the most pleasant thing for some people but I try to take it with a pinch of salt until I get wound up myself
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointed its not on clay but its been quite good so far
    Most of these shots would be out on a normal court though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cmon
    its all in good fun!

Not when it's been going on ad infinitum for the last 4 years.

I dont mind the "jokes" (though I'm having a sense of humour bypass at the moment due to having bursitis, having to stay in bed for weeks, dreading Xmas etc etc) per se, but God it gets boring week after week though, to be fair, we're saints here compared to the Men's Tennis Forum

I just wish people would marvel at the fact we've been thoroughly spoiled over the latter part of this decade to have possibly the 2 greatest players of all time enriching the game.:) I also wish Fed would shut his gob a bit more but that's just me. It doesn't take away the fact that he's a sublime player most of the time, just that I cant take to him.

:) And, while I'm in lesser Scrooge Mode, Happy Christmas Everyone, soon be the Aussie Open.

Which I'm looking forward to and wishing that Eurosport WASN'T the only channel showing it. I bloody hate Eurosport. :mad:

PEACE & LOVE TO ALL. :)
  • Options
    SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    Not when it's been going on ad infinitum for the last 4 years.

I dont mind the "jokes" (though I'm having a sense of humour bypass at the moment due to having bursitis, having to stay in bed for weeks, dreading Xmas etc etc) per se, but God it gets boring week after week though, to be fair, we're saints here compared to the Men's Tennis Forum

I just wish people would marvel at the fact we've been thoroughly spoiled over the latter part of this decade to have possibly the 2 greatest players of all time enriching the game.:) I also wish Fed would shut his gob a bit more but that's just me. It doesn't take away the fact that he's a sublime player most of the time, just that I cant take to him.

:) And, while I'm in lesser Scrooge Mode, Happy Christmas Everyone, soon be the Aussie Open.

Which I'm looking forward to and wishing that Eurosport WASN'T the only channel showing it. I bloody hate Eurosport. :mad:

PEACE & LOVE TO ALL. :)

^^ All of this (apart from the Bursitis). Oh Tally, you poor thing (((hugs))) :)

Arn't Sky Sports showing the AO and the BBC from 8.30 am onwards :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Remind me not to get involved in ther Mens Tennis Forum. then :)

I think I have a decent sense of humour but I read many of the recent Fed and Rafa posts and while supposedly some are later said to be jokes they are at the time put forward so seemingly straighforwardly and stridently even if on the face of it ridiculous ( winks are always useful for more clarity :) ) that it is not surprisingly that they can provoke response and then you get boring ( in my view ) posts back and forth.

Both Fed and Rafa are great players that we are so lucky to have both playing in the current era. Personally from what I see and hear off court, one I have no problem with ( Rafa ) and one I do ( Fed ) because how he comes across to me I often don't particularly like. But that's not something I would particularly wish to argue, as it's just a personal view and it's their tennis that more interests me. Well, Andy Murray's tennis much more interests me to be honest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) Good post, indiana. My sentiments 'zactly!

Sarn, I know the Beeb show some of the Aus Open but every year I forget and tune into the merry go round of "dont get too into a match 'cos our aim is to show a glimpse of as many as we can in an hour" shambles that is Eurosports' modus operandi. As far as I can remember Sky only have the rights to the US Open. They dont cover Aus or Roland Garros at all. :cry:

:p Still, if I pay £3 I can watch online and at least get a match from beginning to end!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    :) Good post, indiana. My sentiments 'zactly!

Sarn, I know the Beeb show some of the Aus Open but every year I forget and tune into the merry go round of "dont get too into a match 'cos our aim is to show a glimpse of as many as we can in an hour" shambles that is Eurosports' modus operandi. As far as I can remember Sky only have the rights to the US Open. They dont cover Aus or Roland Garros at all. :cry:

:pStill, if I pay £3 I can watch online and at least get a match from beginning to end!!

You'll be able to watch it all free online :p
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I must live in cloud cuckoo land as I was not aware there was a war between the Rafa and Fed camps. :eek: I know there are a few that come on here during the Slams to wind us up sometimes. I never go to the Mens Tennis Forum though ... so maybe I am missing it all. I also mainly follow the WTA tour where most of the fans squabble over everything. :D:)

Seasons Greetings to everybody!! :):)

Edit: Happy 2011 to all as well. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is there going to be a tipping comp for AO?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Any one had any fun with the Wimbledon ticket ballot for next summer.

I sent a stamped addressed envelope off on 20 November - and the form finally came back today i.e. over a month later. I only live about 10 miles away from Wimbledon. Similar problem last year. I hope it reaches them by the deadline of 31 December.

Why is their ticket ballot process so antiquated and inefficient - could they not move to an internet process like Queens?:D

Merry Xmas - and only 1 week to the return of the tennis!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is there going to be a tipping comp for AO?

Yes!

I'm going to do it, would start a thread now but worried it would get lost over Xmas, so will start one in the new year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    Yes!

I'm going to do it, would start a thread now but worried it would get lost over Xmas, so will start one in the new year

Awesome!
    :D:D:D

Plus you can't really do much as we don't know the draw :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya,

been offline for about 5 weeks due to laptop technical problems, but it is now all fixed :D

Looking forward to the 2011 season; shame that Serena will be out until at least Miami by the looks of things :(, still it could mean that Sharapova/Venus can win some early titles :D

I was thinking would there be interest in doing a season-long game? i.e Every week we pick a mens and a womens tournament and do a mini-prediction game? (Just pick the SF,Finalists and Winner?) We could spend the next week or so working out the intricaices (sp) and have it up and running by the Australian tournaments (sorry Dubai haha)... I would run this is there was sufficient interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya,

been offline for about 5 weeks due to laptop technical problems, but it is now all fixed :D

Looking forward to the 2011 season; shame that Serena will be out until at least Miami by the looks of things :(, still it could mean that Sharapova/Venus can win some early titles :D

I was thinking would there be interest in doing a season-long game? i.e Every week we pick a mens and a womens tournament and do a mini-prediction game? (Just pick the SF,Finalists and Winner?) We could spend the next week or so working out the intricaices (sp) and have it up and running by the Australian tournaments (sorry Dubai haha)... I would run this is there was sufficient interest.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS this is a brilliant idea :D

But not just SF, Finalists and winner
    A full draw prediction :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we all have our favourities i just want to see justine back in action.

good luck in 2011 to you all. have a great time following your favourite player.

we may have different opinions sometimes.

but we can agree on that we all love tennis
  • Options
    lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas Everyone!!
This discussion has been closed.