Problem with selecting channel from planner

TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
Forum Member
✭✭
I have noticed a recent problem when I try and access a channel from the planner. I press select and then a blank blue screen comes up and it works when I enter the number manually and so I was wondering what it could be. I have a Samsung box and it's only about 2 years old and I've never had any problems before. Also, I'm recording programs but it's recording the previous program for about 10 minutes and I'm missing 10 minutes on the program I want to watch and it's doing this on several channels

Comments

• Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,924
    Forum Member
    Have you re-booted the box?
    If not, do that, and if it makes no difference try first a planner rebuild, and then if still no joy, a forced software update.
    :)
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,770
    Forum Member
    Since the update the older boxes could do with a reboot once a week or at the latest once a fortnight, else you will start to get issues.

just a shame Sky cant schedule the boxes to reboot to do this when not in use, would stop a lot of problems.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    Since the update the older boxes could do with a reboot once a week or at the latest once a fortnight, else you will start to get issues.

just a shame Sky cant schedule the boxes to reboot to do this when not in use, would stop a lot of problems

You never know what Sky have in development ;)
  • Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Have this (new) problem with my Samsung. Seriously thinking of replacing this box but although I have the Sky insurance don't really want a reconditioned box. How much must I pay for a new Sky+ HD box as an existing HD customer?
  • powarpowar Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Gumtree and search DRX890.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

just a shame Sky cant schedule the boxes to reboot to do this when not in use, would stop a lot of problems.

Or maybe their software should handle the memory resources or whatever correctly so the box dont lock up and need rebooting all the time but guess thats asking too much isn't it:rolleyes: :)

I have a fairly new 1TB Box and I always cold reboot once a week, and always delete all my deleted programs in the deleted tab, these things help keep it running smooth as it always seems to play up at the worse possible time, mostly when its recording.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,770
    Forum Member
    Or maybe their software should handle the memory resources or whatever correctly so the box dont lock up and need rebooting all the time but guess thats asking too much isn't it:rolleyes: :)

I have a fairly new 1TB Box and I always cold reboot once a week, and always delete all my deleted programs in the deleted tab, these things help keep it running smooth as it always seems to play up at the worse possible time, mostly when its recording.

Well very few devices can handle it well, windows dont, my android tablet dosent, even though its on a linux kernal. Linux/Unix is one of the very few that can keep things running smoothly, regularly had a years uptime on my linux box without any slowdown.

So I wouldnt expect a Sky box to not need a reboot but since its an always on device it should handle it with a scheduled reboot.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well very few devices can handle it well, windows dont, my android tablet dosent, even though its on a linux kernal. Linux/Unix is one of the very few that can keep things running smoothly, regularly had a years uptime on my linux box without any slowdown.

So I wouldnt expect a Sky box to not need a reboot but since its an always on device it should handle it with a scheduled reboot.

IIRC the latest version of Sky's software (Darwin and later) are Linux based :(

B.I.B. ;), can't explain further :D