The Trials of Jimmy Rose - ITV, 9pm, 30th Aug.

NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
Forum Member
http://www.itv.com/drama/the-trials-of-jimmy-rose-ray-winstone-amanda-redman
Anyone planning on watching? I'm hoping it will be good. A 3 parter.
Aparantly it's available on ITV Player :confused:

Comments

• davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'll be tuning in tonight. Been abroad for the last couple of weeks so haven't seen any trailers, but the write-up in the Radio Times seems to be pretty positive
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it on Thursday on the ITV player and I thought it was really good
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.itv.com/drama/the-trials-of-jimmy-rose-ray-winstone-amanda-redman
    Anyone planning on watching? I'm hoping it will be good. A 3 parter.
    Aparantly it's available on ITV Player :confused:

Yes, we're going to give it a whirl. Just debating whether to record all three then watch in one go in a few weeks....

I hope it's better than Black Work, the last Sunday-night-crime-drama-that's-also-a-family-drama. I was at the Edinburgh Television Festival last week and Peter Fincham - ITV head honcho - was talking about crime dramas effectively being a safe bet because there is always an audience.

I like the idea they're trying to make the crimes part of a wider narrative. I enjoy some of the straightforward detective stories such as Vera, Endeavour, Midsomer, but something with a bit more meat is always welcome. We'll see.

One thing for sure - it has to be better than Partners in Crime on t'other side...:o
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    I watched it on Thursday on the ITV player and I thought it was really good

Promising then. Assuming you have good taste when it comes to TV drama :D
    Yes, we're going to give it a whirl. Just debating whether to record all three then watch in one go in a few weeks....

I hope it's better than Black Work, the last Sunday-night-crime-drama-that's-also-a-family-drama. I was at the Edinburgh Television Festival last week and Peter Fincham - ITV head honcho - was talking about crime dramas effectively being a safe bet because there is always an audience.

I like the idea they're trying to make the crimes part of a wider narrative. I enjoy some of the straightforward detective stories such as Vera, Endeavour, Midsomer, but something with a bit more meat is always welcome. We'll see.

One thing for sure - it has to be better than Partners in Crime on t'other side...:o

There's always hope :) However though PIC is not great I have found it watchable and as it's the last one tonight I'll watch that and watch TToJR on +1
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been looking forward to this since it was first advertised.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    I have also watched this and while its a fine cast and well made I thought it was a bit dull as an opener.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One-note Winstone rides again. A man with all the acting range of cardboard.

Size of him these days, if they ever make Eric Pickles: The Movie......
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Promising then. Assuming you have good taste when it comes to TV drama :D

Like to think i do
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again, bad man does 20 yr for robery gets out can't cope with modern life, trying to go straight.... YAWN! HOW VERY ORIGINAL.
  • Casper GomezCasper Gomez Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely loath Ray Winstone and his over the top east london accent. Wish another actor was cast as the main cos it looks like it will be decent.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexy beast 2
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lasted ten minutes, it's not for me, (how many episodes?
    Good job I'm recording Rich Hall on BBC4. I'll watch that later.
  • kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well so far they could have just repeated any of Winstone's recent output and I wouldn't have noticed
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

An excellent programme. Watching it now.

About time we had a Rich Hall Night on BBC4.
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lasted ten minutes, it's not for me, (how many episodes?
    I'm really struggling with it myself - lasted half an hour, but I've had enough...
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of this walking along while you're talking to someone is rather annoying.
    Can none of them sit down or stand still?
  • prehensileprehensile Posts: 5,091
    Forum Member
    Given it half an hour waiting in vain for something interesting to happen, that's me out.
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's doing his sniffing thing didn't he do that in nill by mouth, can't bare it when actors do that with their noses its like they don't know what to do while they wait to talk.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    An excellent programme. Watching it now.

About time we had a Rich Hall Night on BBC4.

Rich Hall is always good value for money, he's never made a poor documentary as far as I'm concerned. Lots of facts and no dumbing down.
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great programme, looking forward to next week
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prehensile wrote: »
    Given it half an hour waiting in vain for something interesting to happen, that's me out.

Me too! We did last until the end but didn't much care for it, or any of the people in it!
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Like to think i do

You DO have taste. :)

After the shock of discovering that DFS has a sale on this bank holiday (who'd have thought????), I really enjoyed this.

In one sense it's the tale of the old lag who emerges into a changed world, but this has an extra frisson. Jimmy's family has moved on since he went inside and I think we haven't even skimmed the surface of their secrets so far.

I like the fact he's a granddad, that his son loathes him and yet is so obviously a chip off the old block, and that he can't intimidate the youngsters like he used to.

It's not groundbreaking but it's way more ambitious than most drama I've seen this year. Amanda Redman is such a good actress, too. It's a shame she's never had a Prime Suspect-type role to really get her teeth into.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This reminded me of a movie about a gangland boss who is released from prison and tries to go on the straight and narrow but gets drawn back into his life of crime. Can't remember the name of the film but this was exactly the same story.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I absolutely loath Ray Winstone and his over the top east london accent. Wish another actor was cast as the main cos it looks like it will be decent.

It's his real accent and he's from Islington.
    Hey ho, to everyone outside of London every one working class is a cockney or from the East End, working class people don't seem to live anywhere else in London apparently.

Anyway, nothing wrong with the program IMO, I'll catch the others, see where it goes.
    I thought his Wife had a bleedin cheek, going on about how she'd paid for the upkeep of the house.
    It's his thieving money that paid for it in the first place.
    What's she been doing for a pound note btw, the investment plan went up the pictures and the money's all gone.
  • greygrey Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I'll watch next week,not much else on tv nowadays
    Ray Winstone muttered a lot so I think subtitles will be used