Jamie Oliver Hits Back At Health Secretary Insults

occyoccy Posts: 65,045
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/jun/30/jamie-oliver-school-meals-lansley

It's like Thatcher years taking away the Milk for schools. Now the Tories want to take away healthy eating at schools.

The Tories were having a hell of a Wednesday.

Comments

• tulvingtulving Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/jun/30/jamie-oliver-school-meals-lansley

It's like Thatcher years taking away the Milk for schools. Now the Tories want to take away healthy eating at schools.

The Tories were having a hell of a Wednesday.

The tories have sunk to a new low...of course it will be the poor children that suffer the most. Unhealthy eating habits that starts in childhood can lead to obesity in later life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes me like the Tories even more. I remember at school, you could buy lovely food, then the jamie Oliver craze happened, and that unfortunately changed. And before anyone mentions it, the food wasn't even that unhealthy.
  • David McMahonDavid McMahon Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You expect the Tories to be nasty, you don't expect Labour to be nasty! That's why I voted Lib Dem! :)
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That man ruined school meals end of.

I have worked in a Secondary school since 2003, and i use to eat from the canteen every day, i stopped a few years ago, it was a joke, and HE IS TO BLAME!

Set meals, you cannot choose what you want from the hot counter, has to be exactly as stated, so no having peas instead of beans if peas is "option 2". :mad:

If you do not want the cake you still have to pay for it, as only set meals :mad:

Fish as the vegitarian option :mad:

Very small portion sizes for the cost :mad:

to name but a few of the issues......
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The want to shut school kitchens, and cut dinner ladies. So every child will have to take unhealty Packed lunches.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The want to shut school kitchens, and cut dinner ladies. So every child will have to take unhealty Packed lunches.

So you are against freedom of choice?

Surely it is the parent's responsibility to ensure the child has a healthy packed lunch?

I do like Jamie Oliver (sometimes) this is one instance where he is in the wrong and Labour bringing him on board as part of their Health Nazi regime was just an awful stunt that backfired terribly.

My kid's school has strict rules regarding packed lunches, so even if the kitchens were to close the parents would be pulled into school and warned about the child's packed lunch if it didn't meet their healthy eating criteria.

Seriously what has changed from the 80's to 90's til now? sure we had fat kids then but there's more of them now? and yet there wasn't much in the way of SS policing of people's diets back then? what went wrong between 1997 and 2010?
  • Analogue110Analogue110 Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You expect the Tories to be nasty, you don't expect Labour to be nasty! That's why I voted Lib Dem! :)

And got a Tory govenment, or at least one that is nine tenths Tory
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    So you are against freedom of choice?

Surely it is the parent's responsibility to ensure the child has a healthy packed lunch?

I do like Jamie Oliver (sometimes) this is one instance where he is in the wrong and Labour bringing him on board as part of their Health Nazi regime was just an awful stunt that backfired terribly.

My kid's school has strict rules regarding packed lunches, so even if the kitchens were to close the parents would be pulled into school and warned about the child's packed lunch if it didn't meet their healthy eating criteria.

Seriously what has changed from the 80's to 90's til now? sure we had fat kids then but there's more of them now? and yet there wasn't much in the way of SS policing of people's diets back then? what went wrong between 1997 and 2010?

What's changed has got less to do with healthy eating and more to do with an inactive lifestyle. In the 1980s many more kids walked to school and played outside. Far fewer sat in front of the telly or the pc playing games for hours on end. Fewer of them had mums that worked so they weren't doing fairly inactive stuff at after school clubs after a fairly sedentary day in the classroom. A lot of the competetive sports activities were cut from the curriculum.

We eat fewer calories in general than we did immediately after the war - but we exercise far less.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having high fat, high sugar fast food in a school canteen - insane.

Screening kids lunch boxes - ridiculous.

Wanting to improve the diet of children - common sense.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my day a school we all went to the sweet shop and chippy for lunch...

..but then again we spent the evenings playing football in the park rather than sat in front of the X Box.
  • guest5234guest5234 Posts: 1,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why do they have to be unhealthy, parents must look after their children not feed them junk.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    In my day a school we all went to the sweet shop and chippy for lunch...

..but then again we spent the evenings playing football in the park rather than sat in front of the X Box.

I remember all those fat kids in the park playing football:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the Health Secretary. School Dinners are shit. End of. Bolied carrots with no flavour with someone forcing you to eat that crap is enough to make anyone hate Oliver. Of course, we need healthy school meals but enjoyable one's. If Oliver thinks eating tasteless food which makes you want to puke is enjoyable that man need to get out of his ''do gooder'' mentality and get a reality check with the real world.

That's all I've got to say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the Health Secretary. School Dinners are shit. End of. Bolied carrots with no flavour with someone forcing you to eat that crap is enough to make anyone hate Oliver. Of course, we need healthy school meals but enjoyable one's. If Oliver thinks eating tasteless food which makes you want to puke is enjoyable that man need to get out of his ''do gooder'' mentality and get a reality check with the real world.

That's all I've got to say.

yeh battered turkey twisslers burgers pizza and loads of chips please:p. thats going to keep our children in good health.

And I agree, I did not watch jamie oliver but if all he offerd was boiled carrots I can see where you are coming from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guest5234 wrote: »
    yeh battered turkey twisslers burgers pizza and loads of chips please:p. thats going to keep our children in good health.

I'm not advocating that. We need balance. And we do need to find a soloution.But the answer is more with a change of lifestyle, and culture than just five meals in at school. Oliver's soloution is not the answer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not advocating that. We need balance. And we do need to find a soloution.But the answer is more with a change of lifestyle, and culture than just five meals in at school. Oliver's soloution is not the answer.

and whats yours? lets have your school menu....lets have your ideas for our kids that are getting diabetes at 12, instead of moaning at jamie oliver you tell us the solution.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well today i took my son for his final induction class at junior school,and got to see what they serve at school,and the children got to taste it,and i honestly dont know where these people who say the dinners have gone worse are coming from,they were a vast improvement from the generic slurry that we used to get at Junior and High School,fresh fruit and veg at hand on the tables,3 choices a day(the child gets to choose what they want,and if they dont like what's on offer that day there are a choice of two sandwiches on Brown Bread )and not a bowl of pink custard in sight,My son loved it

all i can say is if i was getting the food my son gets from September at School,my school eating Habits wouldn't have involved 10p crisp and tuck shops as much as they did
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well today i took my son for his final induction class at junior school,and got to see what they serve at school,and the children got to taste it,and i honestly dont know where these people who say the dinners have gone worse are coming from,they were a vast improvement from the generic slurry that we used to get at Junior and High School,fresh fruit and veg at hand on the tables,3 choices a day(the child gets to choose what they want)and not a bowl of pink custard in sight

all i can say is if we were getting the food my son gets from September at School,my school eating Habits wouldn't have involved 10p crisp and tuck shops as much as they did
    here here, I hate it when people moan about the great work jamie oliver has tried to do with our kids health , he has tried to give a good choice of balanced meals instead of downright crap, some people bitch for the sake of it and if kids will not eat it it is because they are fed crap at home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is the changed school menu

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/mar/29/jamie-oliver-school-dinners-meals

The old Greenwich menu...

Burgers and chips

Sausage rolls

Fish fingers

Drumstick-shaped turkey nuggets

Chicken nuggets (pictured)

And the new one Roast beef and all the trimmings

Mushroom and lentil bake

Mexican bean wrap (pictured)

Lamb and vegetable pie

Creamy coconut fish

which one would you rather have the chice of
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    get real people:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guest5234 wrote: »
    and whats yours? lets have your school menu....lets have your ideas for our kids that are getting diabetes at 12, instead of moaning at jamie oliver you tell us the solution.

I just said what I feel is the soloution in the previous post. And oh every school has a different menu, and a different quality of cooking.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just said what I feel is the soloution in the previous post. And oh every school has a different menu, and a different quality of cooking.

in the borough where i live there are 2 standardised menus,and of the 111 primary schools in the borough 70 schools use Menu A all the way through the year(on a 3 week rotation of menu changes) 20 use Menu B and 14 use A and B(over a 6 week rotation)

here are examples of the menus they are using(in the current school year)

http://www.wigan.gov.uk/Services/BusinessRegeneration/MetroFresh/SchoolMeals/PrimaryMenu.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    I think these stupid healthy meal rules should be scrapped and everyone can eat what they want as often as they like .Also schools should have a tuck shop so kids can buy crisps and drinks .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in the borough where i live there are 2 standardised menus,and of the 111 primary schools in the borough 70 schools use Menu A all the way through the year(on a 3 week rotation of menu changes) 20 use Menu B and 14 use A and B(over a 6 week rotation)

here are examples of the menus they are using(in the current school year)

http://www.wigan.gov.uk/Services/BusinessRegeneration/MetroFresh/SchoolMeals/PrimaryMenu.htm

That looks a brilliant varied menu full of tasty healthy food,:p
    why the hell people are negative about this does my head in, I would hate to see the crap they feed their kids.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think these stupid healthy meal rules should be scrapped and everyone can eat what they want as often as they like .Also schools should have a tuck shop so kids can buy crisps and drinks .

Yeh OK....:D good try but a ...fail