Options

Mw Am Dx

fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

Just wondering what do you think is the best place for MW DX in The UK?
Also Where would be the best place to DX in Europe and the USA?

And what's you best place to listen to MW stations?
And to get the most stations?

I think being in North Essex is quite a good place.

Comments

• Options
    PemblechookPemblechook Posts: 2,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it makes much difference where you are.

We had a thread on MW DX a couple of years ago. There may be some MW DX nutters about. My best DX was Venezuela then. I built a 3 x 3 metre loop aerial which enabled me to reduce interference depending where the wanted and unwanted stations were. I can't remember the callsigns of the US and Canada stations. There will be websites with info. I also picked up low power aeronautical beacons from about 210 to 600 kHz.

What receiver do you have?
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    FM Scan has all the answers

http://fmscan.org/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only have a TECSUN PL 600
    Have never picked up any stations from the US but from reading the best time is after 3AM so have not really tried it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the DXers use an Eton E5. I use an Icom-IC735.

http://w4ti.net/ic735.html

You can hear Canada from about 11pm.

The aero beacons (NDBs) can be a good clue to conditions.

You should get Stanstead on 429 KHz

SSD in Morse.. dot dot dot / dot dot dot /dash dot dot

Greenland NDB comes in mid evening and then Canada and then maybe US later.

http://navaids.nowindows.net/ndblist.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.mwcircle.org/

They have lists of stations audible in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the DXers use an Eton E5. I use an Icom-IC735.

http://w4ti.net/ic735.html

You can hear Canada from about 11pm.

The aero beacons (NDBs) can be a good clue to conditions.

You should get Stanstead on 429 KHz

SSD in Morse.. dot dot dot / dot dot dot /dash dot dot

Greenland NDB comes in mid evening and then Canada and then maybe US later.

http://navaids.nowindows.net/ndblist.htm

Will try that later I did have an eton but it broke.
  • Options
    KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best pointer to N American conditions is to check 1512 kHz for a heterodyne, the stronger the whistle the better conditions are and if you off tune from 1512 to 1510 you should hear a station from Boston.

The biggest problem these days is local interference from TV's, computers and power line adapters.

I was going to suggest that you visit a website, but I see that you have already been there - David. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From a site....

If you've never heard North American MW stations, try frequencies such as 930, 1010, 1500 and 1510 as these are often the clearest. Also perhaps try 1350, 1390 and 1440 as well as channels like 590, 620, 660, 770 etc

Me now.....

WEGP 1390 might come through. Some nights are better than others but Dec/Jan are probably the best months. You can maybe get a station on the Internet and see if the audio compares but there can be delays of several seconds.

I used to get VOCM 590 kHz Newfoundland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WWZN Boston 1510khz MW DX Reception South Wales on Eton E5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzpiO8uwDW8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even the lights seem to interfere with my radio on MW.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some folks are mad enough to camp out on freezing nights to get away from sources of interference. The loop I made was pretty good. It pulled in Venezuela.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venezuela is well far I know they have sky wave but do you think the signal came from higher up to get all that way?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venezuela is near enough to be reached by single hop F-layer. Must find my great circle map.

I am listening for NDBs on the Eton and can hear a broadcast station on 360 KHz which is a funny freq?? I don't have the Icom connected. It might be a spurious response of the Eton??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venezuela is well far I know they have sky wave but do you think the signal came from higher up to get all that way?
    Yes it would be sky wave. Sometimes signals can travel long path, or short path over the North Pole.
    I am listening for NDBs on the Eton and can hear a broadcast station on 360 KHz which is a funny freq??..... It might be a spurious response of the Eton??
    It is definitely an image on the Eton as there a no broadcasting stations on that frequency.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the same audio on 1260 as 360. It is Heart North Wales and Cheshire and the TX is near Wrexham about 8 miles from me. I will set up the Icom but it is likely it is a spurious response of the Eton.

900 KHz diff ...maybe the second IF is 450kHz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From a site....

If you've never heard North American MW stations, try frequencies such as 930, 1010, 1500 and 1510 as these are often the clearest. Also perhaps try 1350, 1390 and 1440 as well as channels like 590, 620, 660, 770 etc

Me now.....

WEGP 1390 might come through. Some nights are better than others but Dec/Jan are probably the best months. You can maybe get a station on the Internet and see if the audio compares but there can be delays of several seconds.

I used to get VOCM 590 kHz Newfoundland.

Tried for these last night at 4AM for only a short time but did not have anything because most had other stations near by.
  • Options
    davenicefabfmdavenicefabfm Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Hi

Just wondering what do you think is the best place for MW DX in The UK?
    Also Where would be the best place to DX in Europe and the USA?

And what's you best place to listen to MW stations?
    And to get the most stations?

I think being in North Essex is quite a good place.

Hi I was wondering if your in the USA what UK am station's can be picked up ? Radio 4 LW

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Hi I was wondering if your in the USA what UK am station's can be picked up ? Radio 4 LW

:)

Yes, Radio 4 Long Wave is often audible at night on the east coast of the US:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ceb3abdzh9r2xys (that was received in Florida).

as is RTE Radio 1 on 252: http://www.mediafire.com/?5lh8h05ch5mlm9d (also received in Florida)

Absolute on 1215 also occasionally makes it across.
  • Options
    davenicefabfmdavenicefabfm Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Rossall wrote: »
    Yes, Radio 4 Long Wave is often audible at night on the east coast of the US as is RTE Radio 1 on 252

Absolute on 1215 also occasionally makes it across.

Thanks for that how about Gold 1548 or 1089 or 909
  • Options
    Forum Member

They would be very difficult as they're right next to the US 10Khz spaced channels. 1314 from Norway used to get across. I think Radio Merseyside on 1485 has been received over there in the past but I think you'd need some decent kit and a long wire aerial to get that.
  • Options
    PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have found the VW car radios and ones from a Ford have a very good set of ears for picking out weak signals. I have built a MW loop from wood in the shape of an X, with a tuning capacitor in the middle, with around 6 turns of wire around the X frame. This gives very good results and is highly directional which is great for nulling out stations on the same frequency.

It is hard to find a decent digital home based tuner good for MW, and its mostly down to the antenna used. For example, even with my MW loop specifically tuned to a weak station, I find the car radio to give similar results when sat in a car park on a basic car aerial.

In terms of location, I hear the N.W. Coast of Scotland is very good for if you fancy an expedition, as the USA comes in very well late at night. At night however, location doesn't matter, as all signals go skywave, so anywhere in free space would be good. For the daytime, its all geographically dependant on what you want to hear, for example the East coast of Suffolk is great for solid reception from Holland, and the Dorset coast is ideal for hearing the Channel Islands and cross water reception from Devon & Cornwall.

Personally, I like the Midlands, around Nuneaton for example you can hear loads of BBC locals and Golds from half of England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Low noise is what you're after so preferably somewhere in the country away from power lines etc. and using a battery powered receiver.

Barbed wire fences can also make excellent long wire aerials ! I would imagine the north coast of Devon/Cornwall is a good spot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gold are very low power so don't know if more world make any difference?
  • Options
    Cheshire RobskiCheshire Robski Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WWZN Boston 1510khz MW DX Reception South Wales on Eton E5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzpiO8uwDW8

This is the one and only US station I've heard at my location in Cheshire, but I've heard it many times.

I find I can receive it on my car radio, on my driveway. I tune to 1512 and get a little splatter from BBC Stoke 1503.

If you listen long enough from 11pm on a winter's night, you'll receive it. It has deep fades so sometimes it will dissappear for 10 or 15 minutes and then slowly return. You have to be prepared to listen through the noise as there's at least one other European station that fades in and out on 1512 too.

It helps that the station is speech based, making it easier to ID.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just downloaded an audio file from a website. It looks like the recording was made in the 1980's and it's of Capital & LBC and other European stations being received in South Africa - bloody hell, you can't even receive 1548 & 1152 in some parts of London let alone S Africa. :rolleyes: