Neneh Cherry and Robyn - "Out of the Black"

SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Neneh Cherry and Robyn: "Out of the Black"
She's on a song called "Out of the Black", and it's not the one that you would expect that we would have collaborated on. The obvious thing would be for Robyn and I to do a jumping-up-and-down-type song or something a bit more cheeky, but it's quite melancholy.

Robyn and I had been talking about doing something together for ages, and to me she's just one of the most interesting young women out there. She really inspires me. I met her when she was 15 or 16, because she was really baby-young when she had her first hit. I knew people who were working with her, so she actually came to my house in London around that time. We've always crossed paths and have been really happy to see each other. Then maybe a year-and-a-half ago we said, "Maybe it's time to actually do something."

Kieran [Hebden, aka Four Tet] and I had been having this conversation about a song I was having a hard time with, and he was like, "Maybe this is the one you should do together." So we got together in Stockholm, and we had the most amazing day. Robyn is really something special. Hopefully that's not the only thing that we do together.

And I think we both feel we’re connected in a way. When I look at her I recognize a lot of myself when I was that age. I have a sense of family with her and I understand who she is and what makes her tick, and when I see her on stage she’s so alive, and it makes me really happy. I relate to that and understand that sense of belonging in what you do. When I’m singing or on stage, I become complete all of a sudden. I’m whole. I don't think I've really had that in so many other things in my life.

Audio: https://soundcloud.com/smalltownsupersound/neneh-cherry-out-of-the-6/