Options

The New Walkers Crisps Advert

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
You may not have seen it yet or even know about it but coming this monday is the new ad with Gary Lineker and the wonderful pop group Black Lace with Agadoo.

A little picture snippet, god help us :D
http://oi62.tinypic.com/2612oa9.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pushed pineapple or ground coffee flavour?

Didn't the original Black Lace singer pass away several years ago?
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Pushed pineapple or ground coffee flavour?

Didn't the original Black Lace singer pass away several years ago?

Yes Alan Barton, he also sang with smokie.
  • Options
    bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    Walkers are bringing back 6 classic flavors, fans get to vote and the top voted flavor gets to stay.

Marmite (currently produced by the inferior Unileaver)
    Roast Beef and Onion
    Cheese on toast
    BBQ
    Lamb and Mint
    Cheese and chive

So i guess its to advertise that. Though Bring It Back by S Club 7 would surely have been a better advert choice.

As for coffee crisps Walkers (Lays) did them in the USA last year as part of a do us a flavor promotion
  • Options
    AntboxAntbox Posts: 4,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now if they were to bring back Bovril crisps, that would do nicely..
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Walkers are bringing back 6 classic flavors, fans get to vote and the top voted flavor gets to stay.

Roast Beef and Onion
    Cheese on toast
    BBQ
    Lamb and Mint
    Cheese and chive
    That promotion is a ridiculous con. I didn't even know that Steak and Onion and BBQ Rib (which are actually just Beef and Onion and Barbecue renamed) had been discontinued. Which means it happened so recently that they clearly only axed them to include them in this promotion. Walkers not having a beef flavour in the range is unthinkable (it would be handing sales to Seabrooks and McCoys). If it doesn't win legitimately I can see Walkers declaring a tie to avoid really having to axe it.

You got the flavour names slightly wrong by the way. It's just Beef and Onion, not ROAST Beef and Onion. Barbecue, not BBQ. And Toasted Cheese, not Cheese on Toast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    If Walkers were to bring back a flavour I wouldn't mind them bringing back those Vanilla Ice Cream Monster Munch from a decade ago (I'm not making this up, honest!)
  • Options
    cromerladcromerlad Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Walkers were to bring back a flavour I wouldn't mind them bringing back those Vanilla Ice Cream Monster Munch from a decade ago (I'm not making this up, honest!)

Yep, me too! - they were awesome! - I hope the lamb & mint wins.. as said the barbeque and beef and onion are already there. Lamb flavoured crisps are missing and should be the future!
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried the 'Marimte' ones, not a patch on the 'Official' Marmite crips :-(
  • Options
    shaun_davidsshaun_davids Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    That promotion is a ridiculous con. I didn't even know that Steak and Onion and BBQ Rib (which are actually just Beef and Onion and Barbecue renamed) had been discontinued. Which means it happened so recently that they clearly only axed them to include them in this promotion. Walkers not having a beef flavour in the range is unthinkable (it would be handing sales to Seabrooks and McCoys). If it doesn't win legitimately I can see Walkers declaring a tie to avoid really having to axe it.

You got the flavour names slightly wrong by the way. It's just Beef and Onion, not ROAST Beef and Onion. Barbecue, not BBQ. And Toasted Cheese, not Cheese on Toast.
    Beef & Onion were dropped in June 2006 (allegedly due to low sales but in fact they were no.7 in Walkers best sellers at the time and were more likely dropped due to mad cow disease on the news) they were replaced by Steak & Onion but sales did drop and they were removed from sale in 2012.

Walkers has not had a beef crisp since 2006 and Tayto, M&S are the only ones still doing Beef & Onion.
  • Options
    shaun_davidsshaun_davids Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top 10 Walkers crisps flavours 1994:

1 Cheese & onion
    2 Salt & vinegar
    3 Ready salted
    4 Smoky bacon
    5 Prawn cocktail
    6 Roast chicken
    7 Spring onion
    8 Beef & Onion
    9 Cream cheese and chives
    10 Chilli

When Steak & Onion were removed from sale 2012 (again due to low sales according to Walkers) these were the Top 10

Current information available reveals the top ten best-selling flavours of Walkers Crisps in the UK are:

1) Ready Salted
    2) Cheese & Onion
    3) Salt & Vinegar
    4) Steak & Onion
    5) Smoky Bacon
    6) Roast Chicken
    7) Prawn Cocktail
    8) Pickled Onion
    9) Tomato Ketchup
    10) BBQ Rib

They removed the no.4 sellers due to low sales.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Like I said, Steak and Onion WAS just Beef and Onion renamed. And if it was #4, no way should it have been discontinued for low sales... every flavour below #4 should have been too! So that info is obvious bullshit.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The toasted cheese crisps are quite nice as are the cheese and chives too.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Like I said, Steak and Onion WAS just Beef and Onion renamed. And if it was #4, no way should it have been discontinued for low sales... every flavour below #4 should have been too! So that info is obvious bullshit.
    Threads like this one appear every so often in the Food and Drink forum and many comment that Steak and Onion weren't a patch on Beef and Onion.

I imagine it was one of those 'New improved recipes' that totally changed the flavour. So the name change was not the only change apparently.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't they used to have hedgehog flavoured crisps ?
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the fact that this rather earnest discussion about crisp flavours is taking place in the broadcasting forum! :D
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Didn't they used to have hedgehog flavoured crisps ?

No that was Tudor Crisps
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the fact that this rather earnest discussion about crisp flavours is taking place in the broadcasting forum! :D

Perhaps I can try and marry the two by revealing that Jeremy Paxman's favourite crisp is Cheese Doritos.