My cat nearly at my one of my arms !

Waves321Waves321 Posts: 360
Forum Member
My big, fat fluffy male cat has always been a bully, but now he has gone too far !He is 10 years old.
He usually sleeps on my bed and sneaks next to me for a cuddle. Last Sunday he lay next to me as I was lying on my bed and snuggled under one of my arms. Now, he often takes a swipe at me or nips me and one of my two dogs, slightly, but nothing too mean. I pulled my arm from under him gently (fearing his attack!) and he clutched my arm in a vice like grip! He wouldn't let go and really dug his teeth in ! I screamed and tapped him, but it was about 10 seconds before he finally let go when I tugged slightly on his tail.
He has been banished to the top of the stairs and the living room. He has jumped on the bed a couple of times trying to come for a cuddle but I've shouted at him and got him out.
Is there anyone else who has experienced this and do you think I will ever be able to cuddle him again?
I am now sporting a badly bruised arm with seven teeth puncture holes in it !

Comments

• marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my cat tiggy was like this, he was loving but would turn lol. He had my arm like that a few times. Scratched the hell out of it with his claws when he grabbed me and he bit me but didn't sink his teeth in really. I think it's the movement!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be his age. One of my cats got grumpy when he got older, but he soon got the message when I refused to let him lie with me for a day or two.

Sending a clear message that it's not acceptable is the key. If you put him on the floor, or chase him onto the floor as soon as he bites/scratches you, and you tell him 'no' and refuse to let him back up to be with you, he'll realise he's not getting away with it..

Cats are like kids.. lol... they have to be told off once in a while. lol
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stroppy wrote: »

I agree with you, although I know some people will say that the cat doesn't understand, and it's not fair to tell them off. I think they understand very well, especially the tone of voice. I agree that smacking a cat doesn't have much effect, but a water spray is good. My Maine **** hates aerosols so much that I just have to show him a perfume spray and he's out of there! Doesn't stop him trying it on again if he thinks he can get away with it, I've never met such a stubborn cat!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    What do you expect from a cat? What your cat did was perfectlly normal and natural when he gets too relaxed,genes kick in and he snaps out of it.
  • salosalo Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    My cat did this if you tried to move her when she was younger although she's stopped it now. I found it helped to "warn" her before I moved her so she was less likely to attack.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I agree with you, although I know some people will say that the cat doesn't understand, and it's not fair to tell them off. I think they understand very well, especially the tone of voice. I agree that smacking a cat doesn't have much effect, but a water spray is good. My Maine **** hates aerosols so much that I just have to show him a perfume spray and he's out of there! Doesn't stop him trying it on again if he thinks he can get away with it, I've never met such a stubborn cat!

I'm with you on the smacking. I've never smacked them... a tap on the nose when they try to steal my dinner.. haha.. but that's only cuz it makes them jump back..

I do use the water spray though.. I use it on two of our neighbourhood cats.. who insist on coming right into my house, much to the disgust of my feline residents.. They aren't long in scarpering when the plant spray comes out lol

My dad was helping me to build rabbit hutches last week, and one of the sneaky furballs kept sloping down towards my open back door.. I couldn't go in for the water spray, cuz my hands were full but as soon as my dad put the electric screwdriver on, the cat ran like hell.. haha.. The noise must have freaked it out!
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother had a tom cat like that when I was a kid.

She got it when it was a kitten and he was even nasty then. When he grew up she had him neutered and tried everything to stop his nastiness but in the end we had to get rid of him to a cat rescue.

He was really bad and would quite seriously attack family members or visitors for no reason - often drawing blood.
  • Waves321Waves321 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Stroppy wrote: »
    It could be his age. One of my cats got grumpy when he got older, but he soon got the message when I refused to let him lie with me for a day or two.

Sending a clear message that it's not acceptable is the key. If you put him on the floor, or chase him onto the floor as soon as he bites/scratches you, and you tell him 'no' and refuse to let him back up to be with you, he'll realise he's not getting away with it..

I've tried this several times, but I think he's getting the message clearer now. I've got a lot tougher with him this time. Last year when he did it the vet advised to put him in a room he doesn't like - which I think is the bathroom. I tried it for a a minute or two a couple of times - then starting catching him in there in the Summer snuggled up on the mat !
    I've made him very comfy on the chair with a lovely, fluffy chair cover and he's sleeping away snoring contentedly!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I was staying with my mum once, and had to bring my cat along with me. We kept my cat and hers seperated, but understandably her cat Oscar was a bit miffed at not being able to get into the front room. Anyway one day he snuck in, and so I picked him up to carry him through to the kitchen. He turned around in my arms, and stuck all his claws into my face! And when I pulled at one of his paws I could feel the skin on my face moving! I didn't dare try and rip them out, so I kept walking terrified into the kitchen. and eventually he retracted his claws and I was able to let him go.

I was shaking! I've never been attacked like that by a cat since, my cat will make the occasional swipe at me with claws out, but nothing like that. It didn't put me off Oscar as he was normally a total softie, but I stayed out of his way for quite a while, and was glad to get me and my cat out of there :D
  • Waves321Waves321 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    He's sleeping all snuggly on the chair now looking all innocent and cuddly ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone find that their cat is more likely to be excitable, i.e. rough play, biting etc. at night? Mine is a big softy all day, but in the evenings he does tend to play rough - not seriously, but I can see he's excited and would love to have a rough and tumble. As he weighs about 16 lb, I'm not about to oblige!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine go outside at bedtime and back indoors in the morning. It's the morning I find mine to be a bit hyper. In the evening, they're alert and ready for out, but in the morning, having been out doing god knows what all night, they're all mental.. so they come in and forget they're indoors by taking crazy spells around the house lol

It usually only lasts about half an hour though, then they settle down to sleep.. and they don't do it every day.. lol
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Does anyone find that their cat is more likely to be excitable, i.e. rough play, biting etc. at night? Mine is a big softy all day, but in the evenings he does tend to play rough - not seriously, but I can see he's excited and would love to have a rough and tumble. As he weighs about 16 lb, I'm not about to oblige!

Oh yes definitely ! my cat Penny, sleeps for most of the day and then at some point during the evening she turns into a complete and utter nutter ! runs up and down, chases her tail like a dog and generally leaps about and likes you to look at her and play with her when she's doing it. I find it very funny and charming. She's never vicious, has never scratched or bitten, in fact apart from her evening bouts of madness she's an absolute princess. You've guess it, I love her very much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yup, come 10 o'clock he goes a bit mental, racing around, fighting things, etc. He knows it's wet food time at 10.30pm and then out for the night to do the things that a cat does.
    Despite having a cattery to sleep in, he is always completely knackered the next day when he comes in in the morning - presumably 'coz he has been out chasing, fighting and generally bothering things.
  • gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully my boys haven't deliberately attacked me only the occasional accidental scratch if they are over excited. Several years ago I use to look after a neighbour's cat when they were on holiday one minute he'd be all loving purring and rubbing my legs next minute he would go for my ankles biting and bunny kicks and he was quite a hefty cat to remove. Despite his behaviour I was fond of him and very sadly he had a stroke while I was looking after him once and died shortly afterwards. I don't know who was the more upset me or my neighbours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully my boys haven't deliberately attacked me only the occasional accidental scratch if they are over excited. Several years ago I use to look after a neighbour's cat when they were on holiday one minute he'd be all loving purring and rubbing my legs next minute he would go for my ankles biting and bunny kicks and he was quite a hefty cat to remove. Despite his behaviour I was fond of him and very sadly he had a stroke while I was looking after him once and died shortly afterwards. I don't know who was the more upset me or my neighbours.

One of my cats used to be a real pain, he'd attack the neighbours and bite their ankles when they were in their garden (which he'd apparently decided was his territory). Fortunately they're cat lovers and put up with it. We discovered eventually that he had very bad teeth that were obviously hurting him and he changed completely when they were taken out. He had no other symptoms, had a good appetite and everything, it just made him very bad-tempered. So maybe something to think about if a cat gets irritable.