Options

Cost of the bus

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im right lazy mare but even i have taken to walking the 20 minutes in town now unless its raining because im totally fed up of the bus prices ,it's quite a nice walk across the waterfront anyway :o.It's 2.10 for a single and about 3.90 for a return . It dosent matter how far your going ,2.10 must be the flat rate round here.

Bit O/F but i just used google maps to work out far it is from my house to my mates old house,that i would sometimes get the bus to and from when i was feeling lazy/hungover (1.3 miles,that'll be 2.10 please) It reckons that will take you 24 mins!? :confused: not a chance,am i just a really fast walker!?
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    helenj1986 wrote: »
    Im right lazy mare but even i have taken to walking the 20 minutes in town now unless its raining because im totally fed up of the bus prices ,it's quite a nice walk across the waterfront anyway :o.It's 2.10 for a single and about 3.90 for a return . It dosent matter how far your going ,2.10 must be the flat rate round here.

Bit O/F but i just used google maps to work out far it is from my house to my mates old house,that i would sometimes get the bus to and from when i was feeling lazy/hungover (1.3 miles,that'll be 2.10 please) It reckons that will take you 24 mins!? :confused: not a chance,am i just a really fast walker!?
    1.3 miles should take 15 mins max on flat ground.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    Stagecoach's prices are daylight robbery. £5.80 return to get to the nearest city from where i live. It is only about 17 miles away. The buses are forever late and often brake down.

I remember Anne Gloag, the owner of Stagecoach, was nominated for the award of the 'Greatest Scot' due to all the money she gives to charities. No bloody wonder she has so much cash to give away when Stagecoach's fares are extortionate!!!

Unfortunately i don't have the option of taking the train as some idiot decided to get rid of our railway line in the 60s. If i did have the option of taking the train i would gladly take it.
  • Options
    RockSchoolRockSchool Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I have to say it in Glasgow it's either cheap or expensive depending on what deal you get.

The local bus company Dickson's have the best deal, a return for £2.00 from Paisley to Glasgow centre. "First" have a day ticket for £3.50 compared to Arriva's £2.60.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kevo88 wrote: »
    Stagecoach's prices are daylight robbery. £5.80 return to get to the nearest city from where i live. It is only about 17 miles away. The buses are forever late and often brake down.

I remember Anne Gloag, the owner of Stagecoach, was nominated for the award of the 'Greatest Scot' due to all the money she gives to charities. No bloody wonder she has so much cash to give away when Stagecoach's fares are extortionate!!!

Unfortunately i don't have the option of taking the train as some idiot decided to get rid of our railway line in the 60s. If i did have the option of taking the train i would gladly take it.

Id love a railway station too ,we havent one since 1953 apparently :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Disused_Railway_Station,_Gosport.jpg being turned in flats now :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have to get two buses to work, until a few months aggo both busses were run buy the same company (Ariva), so i could get an arriva pass for for £12 per week, In april Ariva sold its routs covering the first half of my journey to Go-Ahead, so now have to get a Tyne & Wear net work one All Zones pass Which costs £22 a week almost doubling my fair, ok now i can use any train or bus in Tyne and Wear, but as i dont use these other services i am now paying £500 a year more for the same journey.
  • Options
    morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like a gay bus for gay people. That would be great.

You do make me laugh!! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a pass as I have a disabilty but I forgot it when I was shopping once. I was only going 2 stops but it cost me £1.60! A total rip off. Bus fares in Greater Manchester are sky high now.
  • Options
    lilhunni_Jolilhunni_Jo Posts: 13,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bus prices here are pretty good :) For an adult it's £1.20 for a single journey and £3 for a day saver. So you can get really quite far for your £1.20. I have a student ridacard instead - that costs £36 a month for unlimited travel - a really good deal, since I travel a lot. Saves me having to find change all the time, and works out as cheaper than paying 80p per journey too.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Here in Canada,the tickets last for 2 hours and you can go on any bus in that time period.
    tickets are $3.25 paying on the bus or $2.50 if you but the ticket in a shop (available in most newsagents etc)
    weekend day family tickets are great $7 for up to 2 adults + 2 children and that lasts for the whole day
    the buses are vary rarely late either
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a free bus pass - but I paid for the buses up until the beginning of this year. My god it's expensive!

A guy in front of me the other day on the bus paid £4.10 for a single (yep, not even return) from High Wycombe to Chesham (about 9 miles??).

That's obscene as far as buses go. I'm glad I have my pass!
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Day return into town (8 or 9 miles from here) costs me best part of a fiver now. I'm using my bike instead this past month. But only because I live by a Sustrans cycle route so it's fairly safe (ish). Government initiatives should encourage cycling for short trips.

Also the buses here charge my 15 year old as if he was an adult and have since he was 14. What's that about?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i live 2 stops from manchester a 10 min walk at most but if its raining ill jump on. 7 years ago it was 28p now its £1.30
  • Options
    brickiebrickie Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a pass as I have a disabilty but I forgot it when I was shopping once. I was only going 2 stops but it cost me £1.60! A total rip off. Bus fares in Greater Manchester are sky high now.

Someone has to pay for the free passes.

If there wasnt any free passes the price of travel for those who do pay would come down dramatically.:)
  • Options
    TheBoingoBanditTheBoingoBandit Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    Here in Canada,the tickets last for 2 hours and you can go on any bus in that time period.

One of the candidates to become London Mayor (the one least likely to win - which he didn't) had the same idea for London's buses. Sadly, no-one else has taken up this idea. :(

I wish the rest of the UK took up the Oyster smartcard system of London (or at least their own version). It seems weird to me when I visit other cities to find you have to still pay with cash or even worse, the exact amount. Maybe the Government should force them to do so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I have a free bus pass - but I paid for the buses up until the beginning of this year. My god it's expensive!

A guy in front of me the other day on the bus paid £4.10 for a single (yep, not even return) from High Wycombe to Chesham (about 9 miles??).

That's obscene as far as buses go. I'm glad I have my pass!

But you can afford fares like that in Buckinghamshire. :)
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brickie wrote: »

If there wasnt any free passes the price of travel for those who do pay would come down dramatically.:)

This is rubbish. Why would it?

Free bus passes are government subsidised and bus companies get back the 'cost of the journey' from the government (est: 75p per bus pass usage or something).

It's designed so the bus company neither makes, nor loses any money
    But you can afford fares like that in Buckinghamshire. :)

Have you ever been to High Wycombe.. or Chesham? Both dumps :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wish the rest of the UK took up the Oyster smartcard system of London (or at least their own version). It seems weird to me when I visit other cities to find you have to still pay with cash or even worse, the exact amount. Maybe the Government should force them to do so.

I love that idea! Let's make Oyster cards national (much like the free passes are) and then you'd only need one card to go everywhere, yay :D No more rooting around for exact fare - I hate that too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bus into Bham costs £3.40 or the train costs £1.25!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A half return to Glasgow on the train costs £1, on the bus costs £2.25. OK, it's not a lot either way, but the bus is so much less comfortable, it smells worse, it's rickety, noisy, slower etc. etc. and yet it's double (well, 2.25x) the price? :confused:

ETA: It's not consistent though. It's cheaper to get the coach up to like, Fife or something, than it is to get the train, which is logical. But it's really inconsistent, I have to travel loaded (well, with a lot of change) because prices of really minor journeys are always surprising me.
  • Options
    brickiebrickie Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

Free bus passes are government subsidised and bus companies get back the 'cost of the journey' from the government (est: 75p per bus pass usage or something).

It's designed so the bus company neither makes, nor loses any money

I think you will find out its a lot less than 75 pence per passenger usage, (more like 10 pence). Its only a token gesture and barely covers the wear on the tyres.

And if its designed so that the bus company doesnt make a profit then pray tell where they get their profit from for all the millions of pensioners they carry for free?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brickie wrote: »

Yes the government pays for them not the bus companies http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Publictransport/BusAndCoachTravel/DG_10036264
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petrol prices is the reason, i dont mean for the bus but for cars, the cost of keeping a car is more expensive so its justified to them to keep busses at say 75% the cost of a car, made that up btw.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    They are in London. £2 cash to anywhere, £1.20 with an Oyster card with a cap of £3.60 however many times you use it in a day.

Ahhh- the beauty of a nationalised public transport system.

Pity the rest of the country got shafted with privatisation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cost of a bus ticket in Belfast is on average £1.70. I pay £1.70 to travel less than 3 miles. Not too bad I guess, but that's one way. I remember when the bus here was 90p! How times have changed. A day ticket (valid all day use on any City Service bus) is £3.60 or something like that I believe. It could be more, not 100% sure.