Peaches Geldof dead (Merged)

Comments

• cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    debdaw wrote: »
    Who is the criticism meant to be aimed at, and what would it achieve? Peaches Geldof has paid the ultimate price and her family and presumably Toms, are left to pick up the pieces. There are no winners on this situation, whatever 'class' you happen to come from.

Ultimately, you're right of course but you can't deny that the chattering classes would be far less understanding of a council house woman who had done the same thing?

Being from rich and famous stock does seem to have provided a peculiar buffer for the outrage which would certainly be directed at a less fortunate protagonist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Now being reported on Sky News that drug paraphernalia was removed from the scene on the 7th. This has been confirmed by the police due to all the media speculation.
  • impartialobservimpartialobserv Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is an update here from the Police

It says that
    Inaccurate reports have also been made suggesting that no drugs paraphernalia was found at the address, with suggestions that the scene had been 'tampered' with prior to police arrival.

While no detail will be provided around specific items, to prevent further speculation I will confirm that contrary to rumour in the media my officers did seize drugs paraphernalia from the address on 7 April.
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is an update here from the Police

It says that

I don't think many people will be surprised by this .It was kept from the press so that the funeral could pass more peacefully I expect .
  • impartialobservimpartialobserv Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always seem to be out of step with the public consensus on Peaches. If anything, knowing that drugs played a role in her death has made me feel more sorry for her, not less. She must have been so very unhappy to have been driven to that.

On the other hand, I really never bought into the earth mother/instagram persona, either, which always struck me as affected.

I also felt perplexed by the fawning reactions to her run-in with KH. I saw that exchange, and must have been one of very few people who felt that Peaches had come across incredibly badly. KH, to me, is just a pantomime villain, I share none of her views whatsoever. Peaches, though, seemed so obnoxious, talking over her, sneering. In the context of her death, I now see her differently - as insecure, unhappy, desperately trying to prove herself.

If only she'd gone to university, done normal things. She was clearly very intelligent and creative. Such a waste.
  • debdawdebdaw Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    Ultimately, you're right of course but you can't deny that the chattering classes would be far less understanding of a council house woman who had done the same thing?

Being from rich and famous stock does seem to have provided a peculiar buffer for the outrage which would certainly be directed at a less fortunate protagonist.

Quite possibly, but what's the point of being outraged after the event, whether the deceased user happens to be working class or perceived to be privileged? In terms of the life she led, her parents divorce and her mother's death she was arguably less well off emotionally than many people who don't have the financial resources and celebrity lifestyle that she did. It is some small consolation though, to read that her husband isn't under any sort of suspicion and that those little boys will hopefully have one responsible parent to look after them.
  • HmmbopHmmbop Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always seem to be out of step with the public consensus on Peaches. If anything, knowing that drugs played a role in her death has made me feel more sorry for her, not less. She must have been so very unhappy to have been driven to that.

On the other hand, I really never bought into the earth mother/instagram persona, either, which always struck me as affected.

I also felt perplexed by the fawning reactions to her run-in with KH. I saw that exchange, and must have been one of very few people who felt that Peaches had come across incredibly badly. KH, to me, is just a pantomime villain, I share none of her views whatsoever. Peaches, though, seemed so obnoxious, talking over her, sneering. In the context of her death, I now see her differently - as insecure, unhappy, desperately trying to prove herself.

If only she'd gone to university, done normal things. She was clearly very intelligent and creative. Such a waste.

Great post. Agreed with your first paragraph wholeheartedly.

I also followed Peaches on IG and honestly, from the continuous 30 second snippets of her life she posted, I bought into and very much believed she had a wholesome, enchanted life with her beautiful house, lovely husband and adorable little boys. I often found myself thinking after watching her clips how well she was coping with motherhood and the fact that she looked after two under twos with such ease was to be admired. Obviously we now know that behind the 30 second snippets into her life, things must have been quite different. She was obviously exhausted, dealing with emotional issues and her own demons, as well as the day to day care of the little ones. It doesn't natter how rich her 'daddy' was, or how much her family loved her or any of the other positives she had in her life. It just wasn't enough to pull her out of the deep despair she was getting deeper into.

I also agree about the debate on TM. I was off work that day and watched it. I agree with you. I was surprised that the general consensus in social media was that Peaches 'won' the debate. I thought the opposite. I loath KH and everything she stands for with a passion but on this occasion I found myself unbelievably leaning more towards her pov and thought Peaches showed a level of immaturity and unwillingness to listen to another view.

She was clever and creative and I too agree that university and a life out of the spotlight may have been great for her. Then again, it might now have mattered what Peaches chose to do. It looks like the irreparable damage was already done.:(.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member

Hmmbop wrote: »
    Great post. Agreed with your first paragraph wholeheartedly.

I also followed Peaches on IG and honestly, from the continuous 30 second snippets of her life she posted, I bought into and very much believed she had a wholesome, enchanted life with her beautiful house, lovely husband and adorable little boys. I often found myself thinking after watching her clips how well she was coping with motherhood and the fact that she looked after two under twos with such ease was to be admired. Obviously we now know that behind the 30 second snippets into her life, things must have been quite different. She was obviously exhausted, dealing with emotional issues and her own demons, as well as the day to day care of the little ones. It doesn't natter how rich her 'daddy' was, or how much her family loved her or any of the other positives she had in her life. It just wasn't enough to pull her out of the deep despair she was getting deeper into.

I also agree about the debate on TM. I was off work that day and watched it. I agree with you. I was surprised that the general consensus in social media was that Peaches 'won' the debate. I thought the opposite. I loath KH and everything she stands for with a passion but on this occasion I found myself unbelievably leaning more towards her pov and thought Peaches showed a level of immaturity and unwillingness to listen to another view.

She was clever and creative and I too agree that university and a life out of the spotlight may have been great for her. Then again, it might now have mattered what Peaches chose to do. It looks like the irreparable damage was already done.:(.

Really like both your posts :)
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    I always remember Bob being interviewed by Parky & he was saying how much Peaches, personality wise, was like Paula & he was beaming with pride, it's all so ironic:(
  • dendadenda Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smallalien wrote: »
    Jade Goody had run up massive debts. Her children inherited hardly anything because it all went to pay off her debts. And she only earned the money that paid the debts of because she got cancer. She was also going out with the awful Jack Tweed who was regularly arrested and had been in trouble for fighting when drunk herself. She bragged about getting them a good education but she couldn't have kept them in that school, she didn't have the money.

If she had survived the likelihood is those two boys would have been dragged up in a council flat with a succession of 'uncles' and an unstable life.

I don't think it's at all fair to use the term 'dragged up'....for a start, Jade was a loving mother. And the boys had a father who would have been there for them - he and Jade shared the upbringing of the children.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She wasn't intelligent enough though. She knew her mother had died from a drugs overdose and she completely understood how it wrecked her life and all her sisters. So she goes on and does exactly the same. That's very stupid.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why :confused:

Quote from the article "Wearing a hoodie to disguise her, a source has claimed Peaches visited a drugs rehab centre in Maidstone, not far from the home she shared with her husband and two sons, before her death.

The man told The Sun: 'We were on first name terms but I called her 'P'.

'I last saw her a couple of weeks ago. She was fine but furtive.'

He said Peaches revealed she did not want husband Tom Cohen to find out she was in treatment, describing him as a 'really straight family man', adding he would not understand.

'She didn't want her husband finding out,' he added. 'She said he was completely straight and that Dad would go spare if he knew anything about it.' "

Looking at those pics of him, you'd never believe he was a recently bereaved husband would you?
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Looking at those pics of him, you'd never believe he was a recently bereaved husband would you?

Why ever not?

The man's allowed a momentary smile. What do you want him to do, fall to his knees and weep uncontrollably in the street? :confused:
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It depends on if you decide to judge someones state of emotional mind based on five or so photos of them walking about 50m down a street. People who have lost someone can smile. It is allowed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barrowgirl wrote: »
    Diana bore no similarity to Peaches whatsoever in my opinion .One had the establishment firmly against her and was battling to make the world a better place by raising much needed awareness ..

Diana was a mixture of good and bad. If 'the establishment' includes the mass media, she certainly didn't have them firmly against her; for much of her post-marriage life she was fawned over unbelievably. She was good at raising awareness of Aids as being something one could live with, which was incredibly important, and a highly skilled social operator. She was also sometimes needy and selfish, deliberately setting out to damage the public reputation of the royal family to benefit herself. It is absurdly simplistic to say that she was 'battling to make the world a better place' as if she was some kind of major campaigner or aid worker. She chose her charities well and knew how to use the media for their benefit, which was useful for them but hardly saintly. She showed every sign of enjoying a billionaires lifestyle far more lavish than the relatively spartan royal one, with its famously cold rooms and plain food.
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fifi, Pixie and TigerLily had the same upbringing and they seem to have escaped the demons that appeared to haunt Peaches. Maybe I should call her a stupid b*tch for doing heroin when she had everything to live for, or maybe she was too damaged to cope. We don't know what was going through her mind when she took that final hit
  • Caligula75Caligula75 Posts: 1,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably totally off topic but -

When I was five months pregnant with my son Otis, I did a silly thing of standing on a breakfast chair to clean the cooker hood. Stepping off, I went crashing into the floor, narrowly smashing my head unto the worktop and breaking my little finger. Miraculously, the back of the chair hit under my breast, so the baby was fine. But as I lay there, on the kitchen floor, bruised and battered, my three year old son was hysterical as 'mummy hurt'. And daddy wasn't there, no one was. I always think if I'd fallen at a different angle, my son would have been on his own for hours!

I can't understand how Peaches would risk her baby's life. I'm not bothered about her fame and whatever. I just think, my god, you would never 'willingly' do anything that could put you at risk if your child is in your care. My concern in this story is 'how long was she dead before being found?' Was her baby fed and changed?' How bloody awful is all that.

And if the stories about that Elliott Smith are true, Peaches just comes across as very immature. Oh yeah. Obsessed with a 'troubled' singer. Sounds so high school. You're a mother. Get over yourself. Put Cbeebies on before you try to be all 'edgy'.

Sir Bob, hubby, family and friends and all the cool dudes who attended her funeral knew the cause of death way before us plebs.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caligula75 wrote: »
    And if the stories about that Elliott Smith are true, Peaches just comes across as very immature. Oh yeah. Obsessed with a 'troubled' singer. Sounds so high school. You're a mother. Get over yourself. Put Cbeebies on before you try to be all 'edgy'.

I have to admit I was a bit baffled to see him suddenly brought into things, particularly with the DM referring to him as a "junkie" when I'm fairly sure they wouldn't dare reference Peaches as such. I think they're just making tenuous links for the sake of having something to write about.
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    denda wrote: »
    I don't think it's at all fair to use the term 'dragged up'....for a start, Jade was a loving mother. And the boys had a father who would have been there for them - he and Jade shared the upbringing of the children.

Jade, by all accounts, was a real loving mother - she had to 'sell' herself in the mags to make money for her children. Her upbringing was truly awful.

Peaches had no such excuse - she had everything - then, threw it all away. Presumably, out of sheer boredom.

I am very sad for them both. There is, however, no comparison - personally, I know which of the two, I admire the most.

Obviously, the cause of death was known before Peaches funeral. Otherwise, she couldn't have been cremated.

They are now saying that the drug paraphernalia was found with her body & there was no cover up.
  • SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addiction spreads far and wide, it doesn't care whether you're a daughter of a famous person or someone living on a council estate. My sympathy would extend to anyone who has to suffer it and end up dying because of it. Intelligence has nothing to do with addiction, as proved in the past some of the most intelligent people in the world have had addiction problems, some have come through it some have not.

We don't know any of the details in this case, other than the fact that heroin did contribute to her death. How are we to know how long she had been using for? Maybe she did suffer from post natal depression and as a consequence she fell back into the clutches of heroin again to try and 'cope'. Yes to some that might seem stupid and foolish considering her past and the fact that she had two babies to take care of but addiction is an illness that isn't easy to escape from. In fact, having the children and facing the pressures of being a mother may well have made things a lot worse rather than better.

It's obvious she loved her children very very much, she had gone to seek help so was evidently trying her best at the time to get clean and back on track. It's very sad that two boys will grow up without their mother, it's sad that she didn't feel like she could be open and honest about what she was going through but looking at the attitude of some upon hearing the news of her heroin problem it's not a shock that she didn't, just very sad.
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    Jade, by all accounts, was a real loving mother - she had to 'sell' herself in the mags to make money for her children. Her upbringing was truly awful.

Peaches had no such excuse - she had everything - then, threw it all away. Presumably, out of sheer boredom.

I am very sad for them both. There is, however, no comparison - personally, I know which of the two, I admire the most.

Don't want to go too off point but Jade didn't 'have to sell herself' in mags to make money for her children. She was a qualified dental nurse before BB and could have earned a perfectly decent and respectable wage doing a job which was useful to others. Equally, had she been prepared to put in time and effort to building up her beauty salon, presumably it might have worked. She chose to make 'easy' money selling herself and her kids to the mags. Happily their father has been a lot more circumspect about selling the boy's photos.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for her husband. Many people have already made up their minds that he is a drug user with very little proof :(
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just saw the five pix on the Daily Mail and have to agree - there's no way he looks bereft with grief .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrowgirl wrote: »
    Just saw the five pix on the Daily Mail and have to agree - there's no way he looks bereft with grief .

Who are we to judge?
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Who are we to judge?

I don't think we should and I think that papz behaviour is questionable also. Peaches hasn't even been dead a month and they're following around his widow to get the money shots, disgraceful>:(