Options

Beware Latest Tescos Trick!

Comments

• Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had one of those vouchers and the same thing happened to me. I was in a Tesco Extra, yet the voucher was still refused at the till. Mine matched in price and weight, yet it still wouldn't go through.

In the end the lady pressed a few buttons to refund me 90p, and shoved the voucher in the till. :)

I always find Tesco pretty good with this type of thing.

It stuck in my mind because unusually the value was specified on the voucher. Normally it just describes the item and perhaps the size.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »
    Sorry about that , Maths was never one of my strongest subjects. at 77 I shouldn't be let out on my own:).

No need to apologise. My maths was based on the quality being equal, which it may well not be. And I sometimes feel the same at 71. :)
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    The morale behind the OP's story is not just to check the shelf labelling (which is often missing or in the wrong place) but to check your receipt.

I once purchased a load of 500g jars of Bolognese sauce which were clearly marked as BOGOF. But when i got home i looked on the receipt only to find i'd been charged for every single one.

I phoned the store and they just told me to bring the receipt in next time i was shopping and they'd make a refund, but they couldn't understand how it had happened as the tills are supposed to 'recognise' offer prices and automatically reduce.

It made me wonder just how many people had paid the full price without knowing.

If you bought so many, how come you didn't notice your bill was more expensive at the time of shopping?
  • Options
    gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco are very misleading with their shelf labelling .I've had problems many times with this as careful as I've tried to be.They don't remove offer labels on shelves when out of the stock,then they are in small print with dates.

To be fair the staff will always help and on one occasion admitted the sign was too misleading and took it away.
  • Options
    RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco extra are now only having very small cheap plastic bags that snap within minutes.
    Every little helps.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I always used to get caught out by not reading the shelf notes, no matter what store, I make sure I get it right these days.

Ones I hate are when there's a special offer, such as 'three for two' and they don't make it clear which ranges are included, the labelling in most stores is pathetic.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, no trick just someone not reading the sign properly.

This is another reason why scan as you shop is so great as the instant you scan something the price comes up on your little scanner.

A few weeks ago I bought a bottle of wine that was on offer but I was in a store that didn't have scan as you shop. I was charged full price, she checked and the wine should have been on offer, I was expecting her to refund the difference but she refunded me the full amount so I got a free bottle of wine!
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always used to get caught out by not reading the shelf notes, no matter what store, I make sure I get it right these days.

More than once I've seen offers such as 2 for £2, which, after reading the label in detail, seem perfectly valid. What you might not notice, and the discount label won't tell you, is that, around the corner, the individual items only cost £1 each anyway, or even 99p.

You're not losing much apart from spending twice as much as you'd intended in order to take advantage of a 'bargain'. Of course people here will say that they will always search the entire store for a counter-offer just to make sure! (I suspect all 40,000 price labels in a supermarket could be randomly swapped but these people would still somehow claim to cope...)

I once saw a washing powder unit-priced at £2500 per kilo (but priced correctly). I reported this but it was still there months later. Suppose a less obvious error made people go for what they thought was a cheaper brand (but was actually costlier)? There is a limit to what vigilance can achieve.

Talking about unit-prices, supermarkets do like to mix them up: such as mixing per 100g and per Kg prices for the same class of product. Or confectionery marked as per 100g in some cases, but per bag in others! Making comparison near-impossible. If that isn't misleading, I don't know what is.
  • Options
    CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Redunited wrote: »
    Tesco extra are now only having very small cheap plastic bags that snap within minutes.
    Every little helps.

Typical Tescos>:(
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who will play you in the movie OP?

:D...
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some more of Tesco cons...

Check out this link and scroll down to the pictures of their not so fantastic special offers.

www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/195158-tesco-uk-sales-further-fall-blamed-on-economy/page-4
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Some more of Tesco cons...

Check out this link and scroll down to the pictures of their not so fantastic special offers.

www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/195158-tesco-uk-sales-further-fall-blamed-on-economy/page-4

That is one Brilliant Post by someone called Monk there. Says it all, stupid Marketing and Staff either to thick or more likely couldn't care less to challenge obvious and blatant mistakes.

Here's one of the pics he puts up. Warning possibly distressing Chocolate Lovers.

http://blendglobe.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/looooooooooooooool.jpg

These are so blatantly bad I hope they aren't part of a Troll Scam. However the fact people are willing to readily accept this as a done fact, says a lot about our perception of Supermarkets and in this case Tesco's.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is one Brilliant Post by someone called Monk there. Says it all, stupid Marketing and Staff either to thick or more likely couldn't care less to challenge obvious and blatant mistakes.

Here's one of the pics he puts up. Warning possibly distressing Chocolate Lovers.

These are so blatantly bad I hope they aren't part of a Troll Scam. However the fact people are willing to readily accept this as a done fact, says a lot about our perception of Supermarkets and in this case Tesco's.

It genuinely happens. Happened to me once. I needed to packs of bread rolls. The price said, 95p a pack or two packs for £2 and sure as anything when they went through the till it stuck on the extra 10p. I had to ask her to take them off and put them through separately. Good job I'd already noticed. How many others don't notice and get blatantly ripped off by their incompetence and stupidity?

It used to happen so often that an old work colleague set up a Facebook page encouraging people to post pics of these bogus offers in order to warn people but mainly to shame the supermarket. Once he got caught taking a photo in his local Tesco and was asked to leave. I think they got wind of what he'd been up to.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually my local Tesco has some really good Thornton's deals a few times a year.
    The £15 large rectangular 1kg flat box down to £5 is my favourite.

People don't accept these mistakes (especially not Half-price £7.00 to £7.35) unless they are in a rush and not thinking.

Probably the Tesco Staff Member who updated the database was the same.

It's one of the reasons why Grammar (and Numeracy) Police are important :o

One day, with constant education, we will be all be perfect.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    It genuinely happens. Happened to me once. I needed to packs of bread rolls. The price said, 95p a pack or two packs for £2 and sure as anything when they went through the till it stuck on the extra 10p. I had to ask her to take them off and put them through separately. Good job I'd already noticed. How many others don't notice and get blatantly ripped off by their incompetence and stupidity?

It used to happen so often that an old work colleague set up a Facebook page encouraging people to post pics of these bogus offers in order to warn people but mainly to shame the supermarket. Once he got caught taking a photo in his local Tesco and was asked to leave. I think they got wind of what he'd been up to.

I am regularly a "Victim". Even if you are on the ball they still get you. Only good thing is their double the difference policy. So if you go through the Till then spot the overcharging, if you complain they take the difference double it and repay that to you.

There is something fundamentally wrong with Tesco from top to bottom. Something has crept in over the last few years. An example locally in a Medium Size Store is the lack of Pitta Bread the normal white type. Dozens and shelf loads of different dips available, but for at least 3 or 4 days now they have no White Pitta bread, just one type of Wholemeal. Its just Brain Dead stuff (that's not the Wholemeal variety ;-)).
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Isn't that the shop staff's job?

It's your job as the shopper to check that you're getting what you think you're getting. Sometimes shelf fillers make mistakes.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    No not peed off, the girl was very nice and refunded my money straight away.

I think she felt guilty that I had sussed them out:D

No she didn't. She thought what a numpty you were for not reading the shelf edge label properly.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Occasionally their pricing errors work in your favourite. I bought a 4 pack of orange juice and the self service till showed the price as a single pack so I saved about £2.20 on the purchase. Needless to say, I went back into the store and cleared the shelf of all the remaining packs saving me a decent amount :)

So I can't complain if they very occasionally get the prices wrong in their favour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People don't accept these mistakes (especially not Half-price £7.00 to £7.35) unless they are in a rush and not thinking.

They might just be picking up on the big yellow label, which is how Tesco highlight their special offers.

However, one shouldn't criticise Tesco too much: they had a tin of Cadbury's chocolate biscuits for £4; £1 off the normal £5 price.

But in my local Co-op, the same tins were £6, or two for £5!

So the Co-op's 'bargain' price (if you bought two), was the same as Tesco's normal price (for buying one). I think people forget how much smaller convenience stores rip people off.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Every little helps.
    Another cunning stunt I have caught them at is putting 4in circular labels on kids clothes saying NOW *£10 implying it has droped in price.
    When questioned for the original price eventually admitting that it hadnt dropped.
    It had been " misslabled"
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Known amongst supermarket managers as the "variety switch and bait". Essentially, you create a display with a tempting price offer for a product and in smaller letters at the bottom of the shelf-edge banner, list a sub-set of the varieties to which the offer applies; stock a small part of the display (often an aisle-end display) with qualifying varieties, put the rest of the qualifying stock in its normal place in the aisle, and make up the rest of the display with non-qualifying varieties.
    It relies on people not reading the smaller print and assuming that everything on those shelves is part of the offer. It's been used for years but I have noticed it becoming more prevalent in recent months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    ...they had a tin of Cadbury's chocolate biscuits for £4; £1 off the normal £5 price.

But in my local Co-op, the same tins were £6, or two for £5!

I meant two for £10, so £5 each. Buying one tin at the Co-op at £6 would cost 50% more than one tin at Tesco.

Actually most things cost more at the Co-op than at a big supermarket.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    How can you describe Shiraz and Sauvignon as similar? Shiraz is a red wine and Sauvignon is a white wine. Is there not a clue somewhere there? :confused:

You are very confused. Cabernet Sauvignon is the most widespread red grape in the world and makes red wine. It's a cross between Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    Tesco do this kind of thing all the time. They know that customers are in a hurry/ have a screaming child/ can't wait to get out of there and they place these offers around the store to boost their revenue.
    The worst example is where they hide the Meal Deal wine, hoping a harassed parent will forget it, making the Meal Deal items prohibitively expensive.
    You just know there is an accountant somewhere with info on how many millions they have made with this scam.

It's not a scam. If people can't make the effort to shop carefully then that's their look out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    It's not a scam. If people can't make the effort to shop carefully then that's their look out.

So, in your view, there is no such thing as a scam, or even fraud? Simply because you ought to be able to see through these if you make enough effort.

So for example, having a large discount label still on display even though it expired months before, is perfectly acceptable behaviour by a store, because it is up to the customer to exercise diligence?