Should soaps portray "adult" issues when children watch them?

Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've noticed a increasing amount of posts stating that certain issues should not be explored in soaps due to the fact that children watch and enjoy these programmes. EastEnders have had quite a bit of criticism for the Syed/Christian storyline and the recent Billie storyline, and Emmerdale for the Aaron storyline and I wondered what fellow posters felt regarding this?

I don't really have a problem with any programme exploring any issues, so long as the story is well written and in fact I would imagine could lead to further discussion between parents and children. I don't have kids, but to be honest, wouldn't object to them watching the soaps at all so long as I was there to discuss any issues that they had watching soaps.

Or do people think that there should be a minimum age to allow children to watch the soaps, bearing in mind that the big three soaps all broadcast before the watershed and for that reason cannot go into as much detail as programmes that are broadcast after 9pm. Also how far should the soaps be allowed to go depicting violence etc again bearing in mind the viewing audience and the times they are broadcast?

Comments

• jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    It's tv you can't stop anyone below a "minimum age" from watching anything on tv. I would hate to see a ridiclous Australian style ratings system brought in the UK, it would be a disaster for creative tv.
  • dronkuladronkula Posts: 2,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, so kids watch them, but they're adult shows and adults are the target audience. What's wrong with Parents actually taking responsibilty for their own children and deciding for themselves if they think it's suitable for their child to watch it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Parents should be aware that difficult issues will be explored and if they don't want there kids seeing them, don't let them watch. After all, things happen in the real world that are difficult and maybe not suitable for young viewers but if soaps were to dodge these issues they'd be completely contradicting themselves when they say they try to be realistic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I despair over the poor writing of the Christian/Sayid storyline, there is no valid argument against it being allowed to be on TV while kids could watch. I don't see how it's an 'adult' storyline.

And I loathe the Billie storyline, but I didn't think it was "too much" for kids either.

In fact, the only thing I object to a bit in soaps is the overabundance of slapping that goes on. Not because I'm some nervy parent worrying about the poor innocence of kids - I don't have any kids - but I think the way characters constantly slap each other over very little, really, makes out that that's the 'norm'.

I remember I would watch soaps as a little kid, and I used to think slapping was, you know, a normal way for fights to end. I never slapped anyone myself, but I was surprised when I was told it was incredibly bad, counted as an assault. Because it happens all the time on soaps, and nothing ever comes of it. Grown women do it to each other, it's ridiculous.

How often does it happen in real life? I mean, I've never known anyone who's been slapped (except as a child), and in real life it would take a very, very dramatic situation for anyone to lose control and do it. So, I think it's a tad irresponsible for soaps to include it all the time, as a given.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gay relationships are not "adult" issues any more so than straight people shagging each other in toilets and having affairs and getting pregnant and not knowing who the daddy is. Or you know.. the murders.

It's up to the parents to decide whether their kids should watch them or not, if they think it's appropriate, then fine, if not... switch it off. It's not hard. :p
  • BaileyBigIdiotBaileyBigIdiot Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch the soaps with my grandparents, EE was much grittier in the 80s and 90s, it never bothered me as i knew the characters were fake i mean just because a child sees something doesnt mean they are going to see there friends the next day and start talking about when they should have sex, i never when i was young the more important things in life between the ages of 5-10 were what pokemon card you had not if you seen who ever having sex on screen and then trying it out, kids arent stupid they do understand things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    sorry but i am yet to see 'adult' stuff on soaps...you get the odd bit of violence etc but nothing worth complaining about.

but, they are pre watershed so showing graphic scenes isnt allowed, and isnt shown!

i often cwtch up on the sofa in the evening with the little ones whilst the soaps are on, im not going to turn over, they'll be fine.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Emmy we have had a few story lines recently I have been a little bothered about, the Aaron story wasn't a worry until the violence against Paddy, but I think the subsequent episodes have put my mind at rest on that one. Another was the attempted rape - I still think allowing Nathan to walk away was a bad mistake and could make impressionable girls and boys think violence like this is acceptable.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    i'd be worried to think parents were letting their kids watch tv unsupervised

it's not up to soaps to watch what they are showing oon screen, it's up to parents to ensure what their kids are watching is suitable

i wish people would take responsibilty for their own lives rather than blame outside influences - it's a cop out IMO
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the parents responsibility to make sure their children are not watching unsuitable programmes.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,259
    Forum Member
    It's the parents responsibility to make sure their children are not watching unsuitable programmes.

Agreed. Tis not the soaps faut at all, if lazy arse parents are not checking what their children are watching that's their own fault.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    Agreed. Tis not the soaps faut at all, if lazy arse parents are not checking what their children are watching that's their own fault.

probably the same parents who are perfectly ok with lucas murdering a human but go mad when a dog snuffs it lol
  • ~Gemma!~Gemma! Posts: 4,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple answer? Yes!

God, there's so much going on in this world, kids grow up fast anyway. And for the millionth time, I don't think soaps affect kids all that much, it's the parents decision if they let them watch or not.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    TV guides tell you everything that will happen in an episode of a soap, especially the more shocking and controversial bits, so parents have plenty of warning. I think that caling gay storylines "adult" and unsuitable for children is farcical and archaic, but that's an issue for another time.

If there are issues a parent genuinely doesn't want their child to see, it is their responsibility to not turn the programme on. These days there is no excuse and viewers are given ample warning about what is coming up soon. It is not the broadcaster's fault anymore than it would be a film producer's fault if a parent took their child to see The Exorcist - there are audience demographics that TV producers must cater for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evamoo wrote: »
    sorry but i am yet to see 'adult' stuff on soaps...you get the odd bit of violence etc but nothing worth complaining about.

but, they are pre watershed so showing graphic scenes isnt allowed, and isnt shown!

i often cwtch up on the sofa in the evening with the little ones whilst the soaps are on, im not going to turn over, they'll be fine.

I agree.
    Also, gay storylines are not an "adult issue" imo. In fact I believe that some of the issues dealt with are good for children to see; at the level pre-watershed soaps portray them.
    Forum Member
    I agree.
    Also, gay storylines are not an "adult issue" imo. In fact I believe that some of the issues dealt with are good for children to see; at the level pre-watershed soaps portray them.

Particularly the Sophie/Sian storyline, considering their age. It's fantastic that they're reaching out to gay teenagers despite what less open-minded people may say. It's parents' own choice whether their kids are allowed to watch it, but believe me, I truly wish they'd done this storyline a few years back when I was their age. Storylines like this do the world of good to those in similar positions, and that's the nub of it really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Particularly the Sophie/Sian storyline, considering their age. It's fantastic that they're reaching out to gay teenagers despite what less open-minded people may say. It's parents' own choice whether their kids are allowed to watch it, but believe me, I truly wish they'd done this storyline a few years back when I was their age. Storylines like this do the world of good to those in similar positions, and that's the nub of it really.

i'm sorry but I don't agree- I'm as open minded as most people but my probably with sophie/sian kissing wasn't because it was 2 girls, it was because it was an absolutely ludicrous storyline and to be honest yet another poorly handled corrie situation

I Agree with you in the sense that parents are responsible for what their kids do and don't watch but i want a gay storyline that's actually integral to the show and also dealt with in a decent manner and IMO corrie have not done that
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    ~Gemma! wrote: »
    Simple answer? Yes!

God, there's so much going on in this world, kids grow up fast anyway. And for the millionth time, I don't think soaps affect kids all that much, it's the parents decision if they let them watch or not.
    Your right!
    When walking to work the other day i saw this group of kids that looked about 8 or 9 and they were smoking and drinking cider kids.
    Soaps have NO affect on children and i think it's right for them to show Drugs,rape, ect because i think learning at a young age is a good thing and when things are shown in a soap they are written in more of an Entertainment/drama way so kids might actually take it in rather then being bored and not paying attention.

If Parents let kids watch shows like EastEnders then they have no right in complaining becuase they know what happens and they still choose to let their kids watch
    Forum Member
    i'm sorry but I don't agree- I'm as open minded as most people but my probably with sophie/sian kissing wasn't because it was 2 girls, it was because it was an absolutely ludicrous storyline and to be honest yet another poorly handled corrie situation

I Agree with you in the sense that parents are responsible for what their kids do and don't watch but i want a gay storyline that's actually integral to the show and also dealt with in a decent manner and IMO corrie have not done that

What was so ludicrous about it? It's been built up gradually for about a year and I thought last night was much better handled than Christian/Syed and (going back a bit) Todd's storyline. I thought it was pretty realistic and it's pretty much the right age for that to happen.
  • lilo3116lilo3116 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Should soaps portray "adult" issues when children watch them?

Yeah realistic issues. I don't mind my seven year old daughter sitting with me watching Corrie or Eastenders. The gay storylines are just reality in this modern day and age and I have absolutely no reason to prevent my daughter from viewing the development of a relationship/friendship etc between gay people.
    My daughter has asked the obvious; 'Why are those two men kissing?' (Eastenders Christian/Syed) and I just told her the truth, becauae they are in love and it's ok to be in love with someone. She had a bit of a giggle and now anytime she see's same sex couples on TV in the soaps it doesn't seem to bother her or raise any eyebrows.
    It kinda helps that she has an auntie who is a lesbian and that just shows her that not all couples are man and woman, it's ok to be different :)
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if its pre watershed it down to the parents to decide if their kids watch it, theres enough spoilers around to know whats upcoming in any given soap during the week.