NHS insurance length of time

KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Basically I fractured one of my front teeth last year. I was unemployed then so they fixed it on the NHS. The filling fell out in January and they fixed it free. It fell out in June again and by this time I was looking to get a crown as obviously it keeps falling out over a period of a few months.

The dentist didn't want to put a crown in as the tooth was still healthy, the nerve was fine and it meant drilling the entire tooth down. Anyway, now I think its showing the signs of deciding to fall out again. I'm working now and a crown would cost me £300-400 as I am working.

Do I have any legs to stand on here? Is there a period of time dental work should at least last? Can anyone give any advice?

The dentists words were she would give it one last try back in June. I'm not sure where I stand here if this does fall out. Relatives of mine have said surely they would fix it free, it should have been crowned in June, but I got the idea the dentist who wasn't actually mine couldn't have been arsed prepping the tooth.

Should I perhaps ring someone on the NHS to discuss this? :confused:

Comments

• KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read on the NHS website that if you pay you are covered for two months. Probably the same here then. Seems a tad unfair considering its been obvious I need a crown but they have put it off and kept filling it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the dentist though. As far as i'm aware you would only pay a % of the cost and this has to be approved by your local NHS.

Here is the NHS dental payments.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1781.aspx?CategoryID=74&SubCategoryID=742
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Band 3 treatments cost £209, which includes crowns, so unless you are going private, why is it going to cost you £300-£400. Even my private dentist, its under £300. Its a shame your dentist didn't recognise that it was going to continue to fall out, but at least he tried to save your tooth as crowns don't last forever as I'm learning!
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess if it does fall out I could always get it filled again at £48 for a few months whilst I save for a crown.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KidPoker wrote: »
    I guess if it does fall out I could always get it filled again at £48 for a few months whilst I save for a crown.

Or you could ask your dentist if they do payment plans or similar.... not all want all money there and then, would be a bit of a waste to pay 1/4 of the cost of a crown for a filling when its not what is ultimately needed.

Or, if you can, seeing as its not fallen out yet, can you put £50 a month aside? I know its hard but it doesn't feel as bad as paying out in one go.
  • F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my front tooth broke it was on the inside of mouth, I had it filled a couple of times but they only lasted about 4-5 months as there is nothing to hold it in place.
    As it can't be seen normally and apart from it feeling odd for a while it's not been filled for 8 years and it's been fine.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    F2kSel wrote: »
    When my front tooth broke it was on the inside of mouth ...

Where else did you expect it to be?
  • workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should be thankful to get a dentist that trys to save your tooth for as long as possible.i had to change my dentist as she was a gold digger and was getting me to take out loans several times for expensive private treatment even though I was a NHS patient and was entitled to free treatment.she convinced me that the bridge I needed would be way superior if I was paying.it was a struggle paying off those loans.there was a good reason I was entitled to free treatment,it was because I couldn't afford private but I was vulnerable at the time and she used me i think looking back.i often wonder is a paid for bridge of superior quality.the bridges fell out and I got free one from the new dentist and its not given me any bother.