Lewis Hamilton shouting "England, England"?

Comments

• TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    It's spelled "Australian" Australians say that phrase a lot? I've heard it and said it way too many times to count. We actually say it too often. What more is there to describe? And what does being Aboriginal (that requires a capital A) have to do with it?
    You should have used a full stop after the word Australian and before the word Australians. ;-)

You shouldn't start a sentence with "and" either :D

Isn't it annoying when a pedant tries, and fails, to correct someone's spelling/grammar.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't start a sentence with "and" either :D

Isn't it annoying when a pedant tries, and fails, to correct someone's spelling/grammar.
    More amusing, really - the power of Skitt's Law. (BTW, your last sentence should've ended in a question mark. :D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    More amusing, really - the power of Skitt's Law. (BTW, your last sentence should've ended in a question mark. :D)

Damn you :shakingfist smilie :D
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,987
    Forum Member
    contrarian wrote: »
    After he took the flag at the Grand Prix at the weekend.

I did not read anything about that. What do you think would have been the reaction if Andy Murray had shouted "Scotland, Scotland" in the microphone when he won Wimbledon?

He didn't and wouldn't have, because he's got more class.

I happened to see him being interviewed on Sunday morning and he practically stormed off in a huff over what I assumed he thought was an innane question. I commented to my other half "Even if it was innane, what a child!". As for those blingy diamond stud earrings, how revolting!

I hope my grammar is alright.
  • Entropy_NebulaEntropy_Nebula Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it when Lewis wins....no other driver winning seems to hack people off so much. It gets the masses ranting away on Autosport.com and so on....
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    He didn't and wouldn't have, because he's got more class.

I hope my grammar is alright.

Murray hardly enamoured himself with his 'anyone but England' comment...classy.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Given that his explanation (excuse) for his slightly odd behaviour during quali' was that he was particularly disappointed because it was his home race, the stands were packed and he thought he'd disappointed all the British fans, I guess he felt compelled to say something to acknowledge those fans after winning the race.

Let's face it, he's been wearing a Petronas cap with a Union Flag embroidered into it all weekend which suggests he was thinking about it being his home race so I guess it's no surprise he took every opportunity to make a big deal about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a world cup reference.....

I doubt Lewis is politically savvy enough to enter into the independence debate, you lot taking offence are giving him far too much credit that he's even thinking about it.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could it not just be that "England, England!" is somewhat less of a mouthful than
    "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland,The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland!" :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Couldn't give an effluent, to be honest.
    F1 drivers aren't the sharpest tools in the box and they are so devoid of charisma.
    Has there been any driver since James Hunt who is actually interesting?
    I am not an F1 fan.
    >>>>
    Couldn't give an effluent if your not a fan to be honest. :D
    Forum Member
    I love it when Lewis wins....no other driver winning seems to hack people off so much. It gets the masses ranting away on Autosport.com and so on....

That was a joke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    That was a joke.

I have no doubt Murray wasn't going out of his way to offend, exactly the same as Lewis. It's not fair to hate on Lewis for doing something similar but not Murray, that's hypocritical.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Alex Salmond is Scottish yet there was a BIG reaction to him unfurling the Scottish flag.

I think you'll find that was because it was him using someone else's sporting success as a tacky publicity stunt for a campaign which he leads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seriously, are people still banging on about that? It was said in jocular fashion in the context of some football related banter, not a jingoistic attack on England!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously, are people still banging on about that? It was said in jocular fashion in the context of some football related banter, not a jingoistic attack on England!!

Exactly the same as Lewis's comments after the race, ie nothing malicious meant.....yet people are still taking it as offensive from Lewis. I'm sure you'll able to understand the context it's been used in, it's only a couple of posts up ;-)
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    That's what this board is for. Opinions.
    I read the papers. F1 seems to feature quite a lot in there, both in the Sport and the main sections.
    Hamilton was shagging some pop star. Mansell did a dire advert for London buses.
    Coulthard was on the telly the other day, advertising something, but I cannot remember what as he's such a boring twunt.
    Schumacher is in the news because of his unfortunate accident.

Compared to the football I think F1 drivers risk much more! they drive at silly speed around circuits whereas the England team moan its too hot and cant even win a game in the world cup. I dont care about their personalities, I think Lewis is a great driver but like always no one wants to be patriotic.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arrogant and surly petulant child more like.
    there is nothing maturing up about going "niiiiiiaaaooowwwwww vroom vroom" for hours round a racetrack. If there was then I'd be in the House of Lords by now with my Scalextric
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no doubt Murray wasn't going out of his way to offend, exactly the same as Lewis. It's not fair to hate on Lewis for doing something similar but not Murray, that's hypocritical.

Murray had years of hate for that joke. If anything the hypocrisy would lie in the other direction.

(That's not to say Hamilton deserves the hatred any more than Murray did).
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murray had years of hate for that joke. If anything the hypocrisy would lie in the other direction.

(That's not to say Hamilton deserves the hatred any more than Murray did).
    It's notable that Murray made the "anyone but England" remark as a response to Tim Henman's remarks about Scotland not qualifying in the 2006 World Cup. I don't think Henman received a similar level of hatred (possibly because of his minor success at tennis compared to Murray)
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    After he took the flag at the Grand Prix at the weekend.

I did not read anything about that. What do you think would have been the reaction if Andy Murray had shouted "Scotland, Scotland" in the microphone when he won Wimbledon?

Nothing at all, as he is Scottish :confused:

:p
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Arrogant and surly petulant child more like.

Ha, envious by any chance? :D

Back to topic, he's English and won the British GP which ran in England so good on him.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Let's face it, he's been wearing a Petronas cap with a Union Flag embroidered into it all weekend ....

Maybe he was hiding his latest hair transplant
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is an English driver (born & bred) racing and winning a grand prix in England - why shouldn't he be proud to be English - oh and what do the rest of the union care, they're desperately trying to get away with their referendums.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewis is a legend... very small band of Brits who have won the British GP and he's done it twice now. Frankly, the whole practice of shoving a mic under the nose of any sportsperson who's just finished their gruelling event and are in throes of wild elation or massive disappointment is bound to capture some weird, incoherent or odd outbursts.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Boselecta wrote: »
    Lewis is a legend... very small band of Brits who have won the British GP and he's done it twice now. Frankly, the whole practice of shoving a mic under the nose of any sportsperson who's just finished their gruelling event and are in throes of wild elation or massive disappointment is bound to capture some weird, incoherent or odd outbursts.

^ this

Agree on this point entirely.
    Forum Member

I never said Lewis was going out of his way to offend did I? I answered the question that was posed - would Andy do such a thing after winning Wimbledon and the answer is no, he wouldn't. I know he didn't but seriously, could you even imagine Andy standing on Centre Court, having lifted the trophy, after the interview with Sue Barker then turning to the crowd and chanting "Scotland! Scotland!" ?

So, I am not being hypocritical in the slightest.