Options

"My dad is going a meat run"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
Forum Member
Has anyone ever heard of this so called "meat run"? Or has anyone ever participated or been associated with this type of activity?

A guy in my work once came round with a price list displaying various cuts of meat such as "a full pig" and "half a cow" etc. and asking if we wanted anything?

Is this common? First time I've ever heard of the likes.

I politely declined.

Comments

• Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raligt wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard of this so called "meat run"? Or has anyone ever participated or been associated with this type of activity?

A guy in my work once came round with a price list displaying various cuts of meat such as "a full pig" and "half a cow" etc. and asking if we wanted anything?

Is this common? First time I've ever heard of the likes.

I politely declined.

Is he a cattle rustler?
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been on a meat holiday. Didn't involve a lot of butchery though. :cry:
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Raligt wrote: »
    I wouldn't get the half a cow, the other half is probably horse.:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    Neigh.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents use to buy half a pig (cut up) and various beef cuts and store them in the freezer. Works out a lot cheaper.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the north-east they have "baccy runs". People are paid a small amount to get on a coach, be driven to Luxemburg, buy a couple of thousand cigarettes, or rolling tobacco, each (cash supplied), then back on the coach and back to the UK.

Well, so I've been told by relatives up there.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guys used to come around the pub with a bag of meat. I was never tempted.
  • Options
    wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes get together with family and we buy a (butchered) lamb from a local smallholder and go halves on it.

Works out a lot cheaper and tastes so much better than the supermarket stuff.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a guy who lives near us who has sheep and pigs. He offered us 1/2 a pig once. I was tempted. It really was cheap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was offered a hoof for a quid.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does the chicken go cheep?
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we used to have "the meat draw" in the social club. Probably still do, ive not been for about 15 years
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    This is very common in the West Country. My sister often gets half a Lamb or Pig suitably jointed ready for the freezer. :cool:
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we used to have "the meat draw" in the social club. Probably still do, ive not been for about 15 years
    A pub local to me used to hand out meat prizes for their quiz. It was some fifteen years ago though. It's a Tesco Express now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    In the north-east they have "baccy runs". People are paid a small amount to get on a coach, be driven to Luxemburg, buy a couple of thousand cigarettes, or rolling tobacco, each (cash supplied), then back on the coach and back to the UK.

Well, so I've been told by relatives up there.

And you think this only happens in the North East?
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Does the chicken go cheep?

I genuinely heard someone ask "Are these chickens going cheap" at the hot deli in Morrisons when they were pricing some of their stuff down near closing time. What was funny was the bloke didn't get the irony of his question. My boyfriend quipped "Well, they might have been doing a few hours ago!" and the guy still didn't get the joke.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    When I used to live in Christchurch, NZ a guy on the street once offered me a freezer full of meat for $100. I refused and he dropped the price to $50!

Still wasn't tempted...
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know quite a few people who do this but they all work in a meat factory, they take orders every week get the meat on a friday and do the deliverys after work and make themselfs a tidy profit
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a euphemism??
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Back in the 70s my gran, mum and aunt used to chip together and buy meat in bulk. Jock the butcher would joint a cow, pig and lamb and they'd split it between them filling up the freezers. I also remember a duck hanging off the ceiling clothes pulley and they'd get rabbits from the farmer.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shads62 wrote: »
    And you think this only happens in the North East?

I doubt it, but my comment was about only the north east.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Guys used to come around the pub with a bag of meat. I was never tempted.

There is a pub around my way near a gypsy site. You don't need to go shopping with the amount of stuff being peddled in it. It is like a market in there.