Options

BSkyB buys O2/BE Broadband and Fixed Line Business

Comments

• Options
    liamhereliamhere Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Anyone get the e-mail yet with your new static IP address that you'll be changing to in around 20 days time, few people supposedly got it (ive not yet).

i have had nothing yet....
  • Options
    airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    You've got to hand it to him, he makes some bloody good programmes. These two, Homeland and Utopia on C4 and The Hour on BBC Two to name a few.

At his age, too. And he has complete control over all the productions, not just a minority shareholder.

I bet Milly Dowler's parents just love the bastard.
  • Options
    F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing yet just a letter saying nothing will change for a while.

I'll wait and see what happens to my speed but I'm expecting a reduction, O2 gives me the maximum speed my poor line can handle. I think Sky's has an adjustment period like BT.
    BT speed 2.5 to 3.5 and O2 4.2 to 5.5 , usually it's over 5 but after a line fault I haven't had it reset.
  • Options
    cockneycockney Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I wonder how many folk at O2 are called Lisa? :D

115 in the UK ;)
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies, its nothing to do with the Sky move. :p
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    airfix wrote: »
    I bet Milly Dowler's parents just love the bastard.

I'm sure they're not ignorant enough to blame him for the phone hacking.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Anyone get the e-mail yet with your new static IP address that you'll be changing to in around 20 days time, few people supposedly got it (ive not yet).

Was supposed to get one last year and even did the firmware update in advance of it. Hopefully I wont have to change my static IP days before switching away :D
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made the call to o2 this morning after learning yesterday that The Converged Core project has been abandoned. Seems this is linked to the take over and strong hints that Sky will use their network going forward, sooner rather than later.

I was originally under the impression that the Converged Core was part of the deal.

More worrying is how Sky are taking over the customer service side. I spoke to a great chap who sums up the excellent cs we got from o2. He said that his team will go back to another part of o2 once the deal is done. Shame that were losing such a good broadband company.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    Made the call to o2 this morning after learning yesterday that The Converged Core project has been abandoned. Seems this is linked to the take over and strong hints that Sky will use their network going forward, sooner rather than later.

I was originally under the impression that the Converged Core was part of the deal.

More worrying is how Sky are taking over the customer service side. I spoke to a great chap who sums up the excellent cs we got from o2. He said that his team will go back to another part of o2 once the deal is done. Shame that were losing such a good broadband company.

I agree o2's customer service is & was very good, Sky will want complete control of o2's customers & merge them asap if o2 had done fibre optic I would have stayed no problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be much better if Sky were running o2bb / be as seperate companies and they continue like now, but I think its getting more and more clear that Sky just want to acquire the customer base and up sell extras to us all.

Ive heard this deal could be done in the next few weeks and was also told all discounts can be cancelled as that is in the contract.

Let's watch this space.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    It would be much better if Sky were running o2bb / be as seperate companies and they continue like now, but I think its getting more and more clear that Sky just want to acquire the customer base and up sell extras to us all.

Ive heard this deal could be done in the next few weeks and was also told all discounts can be cancelled as that is in the contract.

Let's watch this space.

Far more profitable to centralise everything. Equipment, support, staff etc. Then try and entice customers to take up Sky triple play packages. I guess the bottom line is Telefonica needed to free up cash and Sky wanted to increase customers.
  • Options
    barker71barker71 Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it been announced that sky will allow existing customers to keep their phone line with BT for example?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No its not and don't think it will be. They will want as many as possible switched over to maximise profits so I can see them pushing for people to swap.

Someone posted how sky used to pester constantly the customers who didn't have sky phone line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will just have to break contract if/when they announce that then :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The contract says they can increase the price once in the contract length. doesn't mention any link to inflation.

Its could be that if you don't swap they hike your price? Also the buyout charge could increase under Sky as this isn't set in the contract. I think its all now adding up to suggesting I should leave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surely they cant just increase the price to whatever they like?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you read the contract it says ONE price rise is acceptable in the terms of the contract - but no where does it refer to a cap on this limit. This is the clause that has worried me for a while since this news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any idea how much the buy out fee would be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All depends on how many months you have to go and what package you are on.

It appears that on some forums they are suggesting that an ISP can force you to change phone provider under the current rules - surly can't be correct?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quote from o2 chat just now

"name deleted: Please be assured that your contract terms and condition will remain same even if you're moved to SKY. So your price will not increase."

and

"Sure, you can keep your telephone line separate as its currently with BT"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The contract does say that about price though.

The converged core being cancelled should ring alarm bells at what plans Sky have when it comes to migration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where did you find out details about the core?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told the information first from someone who works from their partner roll out company that it was a rumour - which looks to have been confirmed by a post on the BE website. I found the link to this from the O2 forum where they were talking about the core.

here you go:

http://beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php?title=New_Network_Exchanges
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barker71 wrote: »
    Any idea how much the buy out fee would be?

Mine was £54 I thought it would be more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a letter from o2 today I'll still be on the data base, They said they are going to focus on 4G and they went with Sky because of the customer service & Sky can offer fibre optic plus Sky is unlimited o2 will be touch with customers when the switch is going to take place.