Comments

• Options
    GenesysGenesys Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Why is my comment irrelevant???
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    He must be doing something right. Many congratulations.

In light of my above post above I would suggest that he certainly WAS doing something right before on his previous show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Genesys wrote: »

Still the DS barmy army don't think he's right or fits the bill.

I keep saying this: Just because YOU don't like something doesn't mean it's not very good.

Well done Ian
    Why is my comment irrelevant???

Because you seem to be saying that the 'DS barmy army' are wrong and don't like him. This thread has already accredited to him the merrits of his old show - the show that it would seem the arquiva award is based on.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    In light of my above post above I would suggest that he certainly WAS doing something right before on his previous show.

The award is for the presenter, not necessarily his current output. Which, incidentally, I think is excellent. His handling of the events surrounding the death of Drummer Rigby, was exemplary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The award is for the presenter, not necessarily his current output. Which, incidentally, I think is excellent. His handling of the events surrounding the death of Drummer Rigby, was exemplary.

Yes it was for the presenter but based on his presentation at that particular time. They couldn't have known he was doing the drivetime show that we are discussing on here.
  • Options
    GenesysGenesys Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Doesn't matter one bit...

He didn't win best evening presenter he won best presenter... Of course the judges would have taken into account his current position.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must stick up for Iain Dale ast first i had my doubts as i loved James Whales drive show.

But over the months i think Iain Dales show has been first rate and was was happy to re-vise my point of view.

By the way Iain well done an award well deserved.:)
  • Options
    Paul EastonPaul Easton Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Yes it was for the presenter but based on his presentation at that particular time. They couldn't have known he was doing the drivetime show that we are discussing on here.
    Doesn't matter one bit...

He didn't win best evening presenter he won best presenter... Of course the judges would have taken into account his current position.
    I've never been a judge for the Arqivas, although I have been for other major radio awards, but it's very much the same process in that the judges will have based their decision purely on the submitted audio entry and accompanying documentation.

From the entry requirements for 'Presenter of the Year':
    Each award will be made to a presenter, or pair/team of presenters, paid to present their own show on commercial radio at least once a week and who, in the opinion of the judges, are at the top of their game.
    Increased audience, as evidenced by RAJAR, will be a critical factor. The judges will also be looking for qualities
    such as originality, personality, audience engagement, sureness of touch and, where appropriate, interaction,
    humour and subject matter expertise. The presenter’s impact on wider aspects of the station’s commercial
    success will be an important consideration and listener feedback may also be submitted for review.

Conditions of Entry:

1. An MP3 audio file of no more than 15 minutes duration must accompany your entry.

2. Entries should reflect station activities or broadcasts that took place between 1st March 2012 and 28th
    Feb 2013.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for this Paul. I think that rather qualifies the point.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    in the opinion of the judges, are at the top of their game.
    So basically, in the opinion of a respected and carefully selected team of judges, Iain Dale will never be any better than he was a few months ago? Shouldn't that be time to start looking for a replacement in the interests of "progressing" LBC 97.3, looking forward? Assuming these awards actually matter and their rules are significant.
    broadcasts that took place between 1st March 2012 and 28th
    Feb 2013.
    So this is an award for his performance on the evening show, not Drivetime. How fair or misleading is it for the presenter of the LBC 97.3 drivetime show to be awarded an award for an evening show with lots of round table political guests show and to then be credited for it with apparent regard to a completely different show he presents at a different time?

This is like awarding Jeffrey Skilling an award for what he did before becoming CEO of Enron.

Sorry Iain, I don't mean to personally compare you to the running of Enron, it's just that these awards are just back-scratching in order to allow radio stations to create fancy jingles that make them sound more important or better than they are, and for their jingles and references to such things to empower those very awards.

I have no idea what taking over on Drivetime means to Iain Dale's radio career, but I can't help but think Drivetime will shackle a very good broadcaster. On one hand Iain Dale has 'brand values' set up by his work on Play Radio and the LBC evening show. On the other hand, commercial radio stations will always be drawn toward the sensationalist, tabloidist or other lowest common denominator in order to maximise audiences and profits on a Breakfast or Drivetime show.

Some have speculated that replacing James Whale with Iain Dale means that LBC want to attract a smaller audience of valued ABC1s rather than a larger audience of worthless C2DEs. I don't believe that on the basis of Iain Dale's recent inclusion of "dumbed-down" topics. This is where the problem lies with commercial radio. One person wants to lower the audience but improve its quality whilst another person sees the drop in absolute listeners as a problem that needs to be fixed - by appealing more to the common denominator.

That's why LBC will never be a threat to Radio 4. It's literally ten years since John Nicholson used to jibe at Radio 4 by "welcoming" all the R4 listeners who were apparently switching over to LBC at precisely 7AM. Right now, I don't see Radio 4's Today being damaged by the last ten years of LBC breakfast. If anything's affected it, it'll be the gradual changes at Radio 2 since Jimmy Young 'left'!

Some broadcasters work better with a freedom that Breakfast and Drive don't allow. And that includes Nick Ferrari, in my opinion.

Iain Dale's problem is that he's not really Radio 4 material, so that leaves him having to compromise with the agendas of commercial radio.

Not that 'not being Radio 4 material' is intended as a derogatory remark. It's just that this is Digital Spy, so never use 1 word where 14 will do. Every page impression's a revenue raiser, folks...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Perhaps they should cut down the length of the drive time show. Maybe cut off the last hour and go back to finishing at seven again.

Four hours is a hell of a long time for a show if they want to dumb it down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Iain Dale standing in for Nick Ferrari on the breakfast show this morning, and indeed, for the rest of this week.

Bit middle of the road in my view - again lacking a distinct edge.

Not helped admittedly, by the incessant references to the royal birth which had me switching off at regular intervals. In the list of earth shattering events in the world this is not the most important of headlines in my view and I have to avoid the blanket coverage.