Options

Bryan Birkwood & the Hollyoaks writers strange obsession with homoerotism.

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
Frankly, if it wasn't beyond a joke before, it certainly is now! After tonights episode with Danny Lomax and George tongueing each other.

I know this show is utterly ridiculous these days. But I am finding all this bed hopping amongst the gays extremely uncomfortable, they have all slept with each other! What sort of message is this sending out?

Danny had a near miss with his own son, who also happens to be gay, who slept with JohnPaul, who Danny is having an affair with , with also slept with Stes ex boyfriend brendan, and ste himself slept with George after he split with brendan in a drunken moment of madness, and George is now getting it on with ste's dad!

Let's not forget there was already bed hoping previously between ste, John Paul and the now deceased Doug.
What have I missed ?

Why are the writers doing this ? :o

Comments

• Options
    Emma_HenveyEmma_Henvey Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    I agree. Hollyoaks really treat it's gay characters like shit.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite funny actually. :D

But straight people also sleep together a lot in soaps. On EastEnders, Jack Branning slept with Ronnie, Roxy, Sam, Tanya and Rainie. Max made a pass at Ronnie because Jack slept with Tanya. Tanya slept with both Max and Jack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's quite funny actually. :D

But straight people also sleep together a lot in soaps. On EastEnders, Jack Branning slept with Ronnie, Roxy, Sam, Tanya and Rainie. Max made a pass at Ronnie because Jack slept with Tanya. Tanya slept with both Max and Jack.

Its true, but straights aren't a minority group...
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All characters tend to be a bit slutty but HO do tend to perpetuate the myth that all homosexuals are promiscuous and fancy every guy they come into contact with.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Its true, but straights aren't a minority group...

Are you saying that portrayals of Gay promiscuity is more offensive than hetero promiscuity because they're a minority group?

TBH many people sleep around regardless of sexuality and Hollyoaks show plenty of straight people sleeping around too

I don't think it's particularly offensive.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loathe George, he should have died along with his friends, he adds nothing to the show!
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ste was with Brendan who slept with John Paul and John Paul slept with Doug who was also with Ste, Danny ha an affair with JP his son Ste also went with JP, Danny almost slept with his son Ste who slept with George who also slept with Danny.

It sounds funny to me. But the straight people on HO and all soaps are at it with each other it's not just gay people bed hopping it's everyone on soaps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you saying that portrayals of Gay promiscuity is more offensive than hetero promiscuity because they're a minority group?

TBH many people sleep around regardless of sexuality and Hollyoaks show plenty of straight people sleeping around too

No, but it looks even more ridiculous because there is a smaller percentage of the characters sleeping with each other if that makes sense.
    If they want characters to go off and have affairs then I would bring in temporary new ones, for example Danny could have just met up with a random from the internet instead of george.

And yes, the fact that the gays are all sleeping with each other does send out a very negative message which is already in a lot of ignorant peoples thoughts that all gays sleep together!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, but it looks even more ridiculous because there is a smaller percentage of the characters sleeping with each other if that makes sense.
    If they want characters to go off and have affairs then I would bring in temporary new ones, for example Danny could have just met up with a random from the internet instead of george.

And yes, the fact that the gays are all sleeping with each other does send out a very negative message which is already in a lot of ignorant peoples thoughts that all gays sleep together!

I suppose you do have a point. However I can't say I've ever had any negative thoughts regarding Gay people from the portrayal on Hollyoaks. I think Hollyoaks should be given more credit for not acting as though it's anything out of the ordinary
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Not once have I watched an episode of Hollyoaks and thought it was portraying gay people are promiscuous. I've never thought anything of it.
  • Options
    Marianne_321Marianne_321 Posts: 25,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.DotA wrote: »
    Ste was with Brendan who slept with John Paul and John Paul slept with Doug who was also with Ste, Danny ha an affair with JP his son Ste also went with JP, Danny almost slept with his son Ste who slept with George who also slept with Danny.

It sounds funny to me. But the straight people on HO and all soaps are at it with each other it's not just gay people bed hopping it's everyone on soaps.

The only ones that have not slept together are JP & Ste (They only shared a kiss), JP & George, Danny & Ste.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I agree.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose you do have a point. However I can't say I've ever had any negative thoughts regarding Gay people from the portrayal on Hollyoaks. I think Hollyoaks should be given more credit for not acting as though it's anything out of the ordinary

Agreed, and if anyone knows her stuff about jumping into bed with almost anyone, its Sorcha :D:D:p
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member

A disproportionate number of portrayals of it yes.
  • Options
    DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bryan is gay and living out his fantasies through the actors he hires. Seriously tho, the show is a joke. The reason they have all this man on man action is to appeal to young gay teens (probably 50% of the audience share).

As a gay guy, it is a joke. I'd like to add that George is pathetic and wet as, Danny is in the least bit desirable and Ste is pretty rank and chavvy too.

The whole John Paul - Dean thing was great (even for a non hollyoaks watcher I could give it credit) but these days I agree with second poster, they treat their gay characters like shit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dynopia wrote: »
    Bryan is gay and living out his fantasies through the actors he hires. Seriously tho, the show is a joke. The reason they have all this man on man action is to appeal to young gay teens (probably 50% of the audience share).

As a gay guy, it is a joke. I'd like to add that George is pathetic and wet as, Danny is in the least bit desirable and Ste is pretty rank and chavvy too.

The whole John Paul - Dean thing was great (even for a non hollyoaks watcher I could give it credit) but these days I agree with second poster, they treat their gay characters like shit.

you would think he would use the better looking actors to play the gays then wouldnt you.. :cool::kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you would think he would use the better looking actors to play the gays then wouldnt you.. :cool::kitty:

lol :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dynopia wrote: »

I agree. I love McDean <3
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straight characters do it all the time so I don't see the major problem with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    Agreed, and if anyone knows her stuff about jumping into bed with almost anyone, its Sorcha :D:D:p

Cheeky git! Lool