Options

Android Sat Nav app

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
I have a Nexus 5 and I want to get a Sat Nav app for it, to use instead of shelling out for a Tom Tom or Garmin or a built in device in a new car that I am looking into buying, can anybody recommend any?

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you can use the built-in google maps for sat nav. it's free.
    if you must buy an app though then co-pilot live was pretty good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    you can use the built-in google maps for sat nav. it's free.
    if you must buy an app though then co-pilot live was pretty good.

Thanks, I read some reviews that said that Google Maps was not very accurate, I also read a review of Co-pilot Live that said it was the best but also some user reviews who said it wasn't very good at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, I read some reviews that said that Google Maps was not very accurate, I also read a review of Co-pilot Live that said it was the best but also some user reviews who said it wasn't very good at all.

that proves that you can't really judge anything on reading online reviews then doesn't it?

google maps is as accurate as any other map source.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member

Co-Pilot isn't the best, but it is usable and reasonably inexpensive. The best satnav IMO, is TomTom, and it works well on a decent spec Android handset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    Co-Pilot isn't the best, but it is usable and reasonably inexpensive. The best satnav IMO, is TomTom, and it works well on a decent spec Android handset.

Thanks, I'm not too worried about cost as any app is going to be cheaper than a physical unit, I want the best available. I realise that an actual sat nav device is probably going to more accurate than an app but I can make do with an app I think.
  • Options
    ConnorL9382ConnorL9382 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I'm not too worried about cost as any app is going to be cheaper than a physical unit, I want the best available. I realise that an actual sat nav device is probably going to more accurate than an app but I can make do with an app I think.

I'm sure a standalone TomTom device uses the exact same maps as the Android/iOS app. Google Maps has rarely failed me when it comes to directions, prefer using Google Maps to any other SatNav app, just make sure you have 3G data!
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,520
    Forum Member
    I'm sure a standalone TomTom device uses the exact same maps as the Android/iOS app. Google Maps has rarely failed me when it comes to directions, prefer using Google Maps to any other SatNav app, just make sure you have 3G data!

And make sure you are always in an area where there's phone coverage :D

Co-pilot has the HUGE advantage that you can download the maps to the phone, so no phone coverage isn't a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Now there's a problem I hadn't thought of, my Nexus 5 is Pay As You Go.
  • Options
    Alex_1Alex_1 Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I use Sygic. Downloadable maps so you don't need a data connection.
    Free speed cameras. One off payment purchase. Improving all the time
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member

The TomTom maps are the same on Android and iOS as they are on their standalone devices.
    Now there's a problem I hadn't thought of, my Nexus 5 is Pay As You Go.

TomTom maps are also stored on the device. Their is no need for a data connection while navigating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, I'm not too worried about cost as any app is going to be cheaper than a physical unit,

not sure about that.
    a basic standalone tomtom (or equivalent) might be cheaper than some satnav apps.
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    I've an app called Navigator on my phone and tablet. It's good enough for me not to look at paid apps, and it downloads maps to SD memory so doesn't use your data allowance in use.
    Be aware that having the Android device GPS receivers active sucks battery, though I understand even dedicated sat-nav devices suffer similarly.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    And make sure you are always in an area where there's phone coverage :D

Co-pilot has the HUGE advantage that you can download the maps to the phone, so no phone coverage isn't a problem.
    I use NavFree on IOS - but I am pretty sure it is available for Android as well!

Look exactly like TomTom, gives nice clear directions and is free!!! CoPilot is free for route planning but needed £17 or so last time I looked to unlock its turn-by-turn navigation.

TomTom is quite expensive and did not seem as good in App form as their dedicated units last time I looked.
  • Options
    sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    NavFree

dont bother paying for something that this app delivers for nothing
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had any problems with Google Maps Navigation, and you can also pre-download large sections of the map too.
  • Options
    InsaniumInsanium Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I've used 3 of the the ones mentioned here, Google maps, Co pilot and sygic. They all are perfectly fine sat navs. Only thing missing from Google nav is speed cameras. I like the maps on sygic but the act of putting in an destination could be improved a lot. The best for me is Co pilot and its the one that I find myself going back to more often than not
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been using this for ages, no issues with it.

https://www.waze.com/

Google own and back it.
    From what i remember, it was somebody else who 1st owned it.
    Google bought them out, but have let them still run it how they want.
    It uses google maps.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/06/18/google-backed-waze-navigation-app-updated-new-features-including-send-location-option/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze&hl=en_GB
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    Been using this for ages, no issues with it.

https://www.waze.com/

Google own and back it.
    From what i remember, it was somebody else who 1st owned it.
    Google bought them out, but have let them still run it how they want.
    It uses google maps.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/06/18/google-backed-waze-navigation-app-updated-new-features-including-send-location-option/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze&hl=en_GB

+1 for waze here as well, users also do live updates so you can see where queues of traffic are and speed cameras, although if the op doesn't have data and just uses GPS some of those functions might not work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I have just installed Waze to try it out and I notice that it's not very accurate, there's a Ford dealer in my town that I am visiting today, about 6 months ago they moved location but stayed on the same road, both on Google Maps and Waze it is shown as being in it's old location. If the maps are that out of date that is not very good really.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I have just installed Waze to try it out and I notice that it's not very accurate, there's a Ford dealer in my town that I am visiting today, about 6 months ago they moved location but stayed on the same road, both on Google Maps and Waze it is shown as being in it's old location. If the maps are that out of date that is not very good really.
    What makes you think any other navigation system will help you with that very specific issue?
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Waze is a excellent choice.
    I think you need to assess exactly what you expect a sat nav to achieve for you.

You can update the waze map info yourself if you want.
    This will also help others.
    If nobody tells google how are they suppose to know.
  • Options
    MiyagiMiyagi Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have tested Google Maps on my phone against the TomTom device, while driving, and Google Maps matched the tom tom for speed of turn by turn navigation, and lane guidance - Google Maps suggested some slightly different routes than the TomTom, and I think this is because my TomTom has IQ routes (analyses routes to determine which is fastest at that particular time of day) and Google Maps doesn't, but that is hardly a deal breaker. I dont know also if you can look for alternative routes with Google Maps if you dont like the sound of the one it suggests, which you can do with TomTom. I think TomTom is a bit easier too as I am so used to following the green line ahead on it, which is slightly harder to do on Google Maps given the default view (which can probably be changed). My TomTom has mysteriously died in the last 2 weeks, so I am stuck with Google Maps now anyway. NEVER had a problem with Google Maps not getting, or losing, a data connection, even while driving out in the countryside.
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Google maps and waze. Normally use waze when I'm likely to be driving at busy times because their traffic data is good but that is incorporated into google maps now as well and I think Google business and places of interest data base to be as good as anyone else.
    What I like about Google maps is Street view and satellite images. If I'm going to a town or city i know very little about and need to look for a car park then it's very easy to visually see one from above and pin it.
  • Options
    kirstiemcnabbkirstiemcnabb Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Wave app looks interesting, never heard of this before
    Keeps asking for phone number, why does it want that?
    What does login give you, do not want any facebook or twitter rubbish, is that what it is for?
    Is there no demo route function?
    How do you listen to the different voices, can select them but not test them?

Also, where do they get the maps from?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wave app looks interesting, never heard of this before
    Keeps asking for phone number, why does it want that?
    What does login give you, do not want any facebook or twitter rubbish, is that what it is for?
    Is there no demo route function?
    How do you listen to the different voices, can select them but not test them?

Also, where do they get the maps from?

Waze, not wave.