Options

Those of you who supported Leon but not Ray

13»

Comments

• Options
    floraandfaunafloraandfauna Posts: 8,520
    Forum Member
    Aesa wrote: »
    Ray most definitely did not sing in tune throughout. I liked the kid, but he did not sing in tune throughout. I think you're confusing him with Leona there!

He did and a lot more than most have ;)

As for Leona I don't know I couldn't hear her for the glass shattering around me, my hearing has yet to recover from the squealing :eek:
    Smooj wrote: »
    You're right, Leon wasn't always in tune. But his off-key moments weren't as many as has been reported. His two worst performances - week1 and semi-final week both came against really poor arrangements with jarring key changes that just didn't work. I've seen Buble hit duff notes live and there aren't many singers who are note perfect all the time.

To say Ray was in tune throughout the last series - ouch, not from where I was listening. He did that pub-singing where he sort of slid around trying to find the right pitch.

Though I'm not a huge fan of her style or personality, I can't remember Leona hitting a duff note in any performance, where as I can think of at least a few for every performer this year - including Rhydian.

just an opinion!

He had several weeks of off-key performances, in fact most of the weeks I lifted my shoulders up and grimaced when he sang, because I wanted him to do well but it didn't sound good :(

Leona screeched so I don't know how you can tell if she hit a duff note or not it was just ear shattering :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray was a good performer who had a very poor voice and was slightly creepy

Leon wasn't the best performer but has a seriously nice voice IMO and had a truck load of appeal. He had that sort of cute charisma that the lead singer of the Monkees had

He was also a battler, taking loads of criticism on the chin without complaint. He also did not seem like a wanabee or have an overinflated ego

I voted for Rhydian but wasn't sorry Leon won. I can see his appeal. His only weakness was his dancing (but to be fair Rhydian was never made to dance and it probably wouldn't have been good if he was) And his performance skills needed working on. But he had sound raw talent IMO
  • Options
    GurglesGurgles Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tortue wrote: »
    Ray was a good performer who had a very poor voice and was slightly creepy

Leon wasn't the best performer but has a seriously nice voice IMO and had a truck load of appeal. He had that sort of cute charisma that the lead singer of the Monkees had

He was also a battler, taking loads of criticism on the chin without complaint. He also did not seem like a wanabee or have an overinflated ego

I voted for Rhydian but wasn't sorry Leon won. I can see his appeal. His only weakness was his dancing (but to be fair Rhydian was never made to dance and it probably wouldn't have been good if he was) And his performance skills needed working on. But he had sound raw talent IMO

Ah yes the dancing :D bless him, but it was amusing, that bandy legged dance.

I voted for Rhydian and wasn't impressed when Leon won. However I do feel for him now. He should still be basking in his success and instead he's got headlines screaming 'FIX' and columnists slating him and saying he shouldn't have won.

Personally I don't think he'll achieve long term success, I find him rather dull, but if I'm proved wrong then fair dos. To be fair to him, he did work really had to improve and hopefully he'll improve more.

Rhydian, on the other hand I'm sure will be successful so can't feel sorry for him. Long term he was going to be a winner either way.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't see the point of these comparisons. Leon won and Rhydian didn't and people aren't happy. Leona won and Ray didn't and everyone accepted it because Leona had the better voice.

But Ray like Leon had very little singing experience when he was on the x factor. He didn't go to stage school, all his acting, dancing and singing training was done in the evenings and at weekends. He worked very, very hard as a child, with school, four years in Brookside and then other stuff after that, representing the UK in all dance principles for which he was British champion at many and World champion in Latin and Ballroom. To have such a work ethic at such a young age just proves his determination and love for what he does. He didn't go to a performing arts college until he was 16.

Ray has never professed to have a brilliant voice but is willing to work hard and to improve vocally. This he has done. His performance of Never Walk Alone at the Albert Hall, Songs of Praise Big Sing was amazing, and his version of White Christmas again at the Albert Hall was way, way superior to Leon's.

Ray has always wanted to be involved in musical theatre incorporating singing and dancing and loves to act also. He saw the x factor as a springboard to excelerate his career and give him exposure. Theatre and television is where is career lies and I'm sure he will succeed. He is not arrogant or cocky or full of himself. If Leon had more confidence, would we be calling him arrogant also? Ray had confidence because he has spent all his life on stage or in front of a camera, you can't criticize him for that. If you want to entertain, then you need to have stage prescence, charisma, charm and confidence which he has. Ray is also a confident talker and can really hold his own in interviews and is very comical and can lead a discussion with no problem at all.

Leon is having his chance now. Lets give him a chance and see how he develops as a singer and performer. He very much needs to learn how to perform because the two go hand in hand.

But enough of the comparisons, both have their talents in their own ways and neither should be slated.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Ray was a great performer but terrible singer on the X Factor. I saw him recently on tv singing *you'll never walk alone*. I was blown away with the vocal.

So hopefully Leon's stage presence will also improve and at least he will no longer have Brian Friedman's terrible choreography!!

If any one is to blame for this year's X factor being a disaster, it is him!!!