Buying a car with no tax - rules on driving it home

2»

Comments

• Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Book your MOT avoid roads where you know there are ANPR camera's.

Provided you've got insurance, there's no need to avoid ANPRs. Driving an unlicenced vehicle to and from a pre-arranged MOT test is perfectly legal.
    Anyone know the legality of a Towing a car without insurance or TnT?

Yes. Unless it's on a trailer, it's still illegal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but the road tax cannot be bought with the tear off slip v5/c.

Yes it can.

The tear off slip (correct title V5C/2, aka New Keeper Supplement) can be used to re-licence the vehicle, for a period of 2 months.
    This Section is valid for the New Keeper (Buyer) to re-license the vehicle for up to 2 months from the date of purchase. If the Registration certificate is not received after 6 weeks, please contact DVLA on 0870 240 0010.
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If the buyer can prove they have just brought it, then i doubt they can do anything.

Wrong. They can.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the buyer can prove they have just brought it, then i doubt they can do anything.
    Wrong. They can.

You are quite right radioamerica.

Subject to the exemptions for compulsory vehicle test, driving, and indeed merely "keeping", an unlicenced vehicle on a public road is an absolute offence, for which you will be fined.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats whay I normally do and have done many times before as it is a catch 22 situation.

The chances of being caught just driving it back are very minimal indeed providing you use normal A roads or side streets.

Driving an uninsured and un-MOTd vehicle on a public highway is plain stupidity, apart from being illegal.

Not having a current RFL is one thing but no insurance and / or MOT is totally different; a) with no MOT how do you know the vehicle is even safe to drive and b) without insurance you could end up with a bill for millions quite apart from any legal penalty.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    You are quite right radioamerica.

Subject to the exemptions for compulsory vehicle test, driving, and indeed merely "keeping", an unlicenced vehicle on a public road is an absolute offence, for which you will be fined.
    Andy Carlton obviously doesn't watch road Wars or Traffic Cops on the telly. :)

More than one car owner has been jumping up and down in front of the cops protesting he has only just bought the car as it is being loaded onto the back of the lorry bound for the crusher. That has to be about the oldest "excuse" in the book judging by how the traffic police react to it!
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it can.

The tear off slip (correct title V5C/2, aka New Keeper Supplement) can be used to re-licence the vehicle, for a period of 2 months.

Ah! Thanks for the correction
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Debian wrote: »
    Driving an uninsured and un-MOTd vehicle on a public highway is plain stupidity, apart from being illegal.

Not having a current RFL is one thing but no insurance and / or MOT is totally different; a) with no MOT how do you know the vehicle is even safe to drive and b) without insurance you could end up with a bill for millions quite apart from any legal penalty.

with an MOT how do you know the vehicle is safe to drive?
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Provided you've got insurance, there's no need to avoid ANPRs. Driving an unlicenced vehicle to and from a pre-arranged MOT test is perfectly legal.

Avoids all that Billy Quizz if you avoid getting spotted.
  • Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Andy Carlton obviously doesn't watch road Wars or Traffic Cops on the telly. :)

More than one car owner has been jumping up and down in front of the cops protesting he has only just bought the car as it is being loaded onto the back of the lorry bound for the crusher. That has to be about the oldest "excuse" in the book judging by how the traffic police react to it!

I do...I watch both of them when they are on...it is my favourite type of programme. ;)

With these programmes they only show some of what they film...not all, and they never show you the ones that got away.

If a car has insurance, MOT but no tax because you have just brought the vehicle...how is there any other way of getting it back? Who is going to spend hundereds on a tow truck?

I have always made sure there is MOT and my own insurance on a car before I collect it, but it is not the new buyers fault if the tax has ran out is it?

The new buyer cannot tax the car without a valid insurance certificate and an MOT certificate and you only get the MOT certificate with the car once you have brought it...so HOW can you otherwise tax it in YOUR name until you have actually brought the car? - impossible.

If you have proof of purchase, then the police should know that you cannot tax it without the owners new documents. It is the oldest trick in the book, I agree, but there are genuine drivers who have insurance and MOT and it is totally unfair to penalise the driver for this reason if there is no tax. (hence the catch 22!)

Not so long ago I simply forgot to tax my car as it had ran out and I was driving as normal for about 2 weeks without any tax and it wasn't until I got a reminder from the DVLA that I actally remembered, although If I had got pulled over it would have been my own fault on that occasion.

The police are too harsh on genuine people who have just brought an untaxed vehicle, thats why I always carry proof of purchase if I buy a car with no tax, and once I get the car home I don't drive it again until I do have tax.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a car has insurance, MOT but no tax because you have just brought the vehicle...how is there any other way of getting it back? Who is going to spend hundreds on a tow truck?

You don't need a tow truck. You just need to go to the nearest Licencing Post Office, fill out an application and buy a Tax Disc.
    but it is not the new buyers fault if the tax has ran out is it?

Actually it is. Once you have taken ownership of the vehicle, you are responsible for any use without the correct documentation, which includes use without a current Tax Disc.
    then the police should know that you cannot tax it without the owners new documents.

You can tax it with the V5C/2, "New Keeper Supplement".
    but there are genuine drivers who have insurance and MOT and it is totally unfair to penalise the driver for this reason if there is no tax. (hence the catch 22!)

There's no "catch 22". You simply take the New Keeper Supplement to the nearest Licencing Post Office and get yourself a Tax Disc.