Options

[Torchwood: Miracle Day] 'The Middle Men' - BBC1 9PM (UK Pace)

Comments

• Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And who made all these incinerators? They seem to have built them worldwide in the time that Gwen crossed the Atlantic, yet no-one among the builders said "hold on, why are we putting industrial burners inside hospital wards?"

I thoroughtly enjoyed COE but this latest series is garbage. :mad:
  • Options
    blimpyboyblimpyboy Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    And who made all these incinerators? They seem to have built them worldwide in the time that Gwen crossed the Atlantic, yet no-one among the builders said "hold on, why are we putting industrial burners inside hospital wards?"

Reminds me of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2PyeXRwhCE#t=54s
  • Options
    ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that episode was utter garbage. In fact, garbage doesn't even begin to describe it. It was filled with some of the most hackneyed writing and stupid character behaviour I've seen in a very long time.

Spilling your guts to the killer.... check
    Calling out to someone instead of sneaking up on them..... check
    Apparently incapacitated assailant grabbing the hero.... check
    Character going to pieces instead of actually trying to release their friend....check

and many, many more..

Oh, and that 'Hey, where's my goodbye kiss...' bit. Jesus Christ!!!!!!!!!

I'm watching through to the end because it's Torchwood and I'm hoping for a big pay-off but at the moment, shame on you RTD. Shame.
  • Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Niallio wrote: »
    They really laid the holocaust angle on thick, didn't they? If you want to play the sympathy angle, they shouldn't patronise the audience....

It's great that someone can blow a place up and then just ride away on a motorcycle....

The majority of hospitals have incinerators for medical waste...i fail to see your point
  • Options
    IRKarlIRKarl Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    tinkie wrote: »
    I agree, it's also quite quiet on here tonight, are people switching off

Most would have watched CBB as anyone here who wants to have watched Torchwood will have already seen it.
  • Options
    IRKarlIRKarl Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    The majority of hospitals have incinerators for medical waste...i fail to see your point

There not as big as that through, a smaller oven sized incinerator would have worked better but would have givening it an 18 rating.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Rex and Esther screwed up so badly they had to be saved by Private Pile from an unhappy office clerk with a loaded ballpoint? Wow, this is the future of Torchwood?

Lol. I thought this comment summed up my thoughts on the subject exactly :D

Torchwood, at least the new ones, just seem to be completely incompetent.
    Character going to pieces instead of actually trying to release their friend....check

and many, many more..

Exactly, Rex didn't know who killed Vera but it doesn't take a genius to guess that the chap in charge would probably be complicit. They're in the middle of a global conspiracy and Rex doesn't think that the guy in charge of the complex might be a bad guy?

Also, props to Esther for sensing that something was fishy about the disappearance of Vera and the strange behaviour of the boss. So why would she then tell him that she's heard from Vera when he's the prime suspect for her disappearance!

Plus why did she feel the need to call out to this suspicious authority figure while in the middle of sneaking around a locked down facility where she wasn't allowed to be?

I can understand she hasn't had field experience but they must have definitely lowered the IQ threshold for CIA researchers!

Not that Rex was any smarter in his escape attempt. He'd have been much better served waiting until they called the lock down off and then leaving with everybody else. Why try to escape during a time of maximized security?

Funnily enough, I still voted Good for this episode (I have a high threshold for stupidity, I guess). At least it was full of action, Esther at least impressed with a bit of initiative and even won the first round of combat with the boss.

Gwen and Rhys succeeded in their mission, a few of Gwen's speeches were quite inspiring and her blowing up the ovens was pretty cool.

The clips at the end were a bit worrying. I can understand why Gwen might sacrifice Jack for her family and child but I would have expected her to be conflicted about it, at least, not shouting at him like he deserved it. I suspect she and Jack are just faking the acrimony in case they're being watched :confused:

Regards

Julian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IRKarl wrote: »
    Most would have watched CBB as anyone here who wants to have watched Torchwood will have already seen it.

Yes, I watched Torchwood first because there's no adverts which meant I could then immediately switch to CBB and fast forward the adverts.
  • Options
    George7George7 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that episode was utter garbage. In fact, garbage doesn't even begin to describe it. It was filled with some of the most hackneyed writing and stupid character behaviour I've seen in a very long time.

and many, many more..

I'm watching through to the end because it's Torchwood and I'm hoping for a big pay-off but at the moment, shame on you RTD. Shame.

That sums up last night's episode perfectly for me. How anyone could vote anything higher than 'Average' is completely baffling to me. I guess some simply vote 'Excellent' because it's called Torchwood; it's clearly not because of the programme's content...
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    hobbleit wrote: »
    It was just a filler episode. Not much happened until the end.

Me, my brother and my friend had an entire conversation about Ghostbusters whilst the episode was on and we didn't feel we'd missed much.

So you didn't actually watch the show but you "know" you didn't miss anything.

Fair enough.

I didn't watch the football - the ref was an idiot - and I didn't watch Big Brother - what was she wearing - and I didn't watch...

...hey, this is easy. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I actually thought it was quite good. It's not Oscar winning stuff, but I was entertained and it kept me watching which is what it's all about. At 9pm after a hard day and a couple of glasses of wine under my belt the grey matter doesn't want to be taxed LOL!

Looking forward to next week.....

Exactly!! A good hours sit down, all you need :)
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he didnt miss much if he watched the pre-title, then returned during the Rex escape bit.

Jack learned what the viewer knew from the pre-title.
    Gwen whinged at doctors / layed on the holocaust metaphor thing AGAIN
    Ester looked at her phone alot
    Evil camp guy and his comedy sidekick did their shtick from the previous week.

The plot didn't advance, it want entertaining, it was just a nothing. 6 x 40 minute episodes this would move at a decent pace, but there is just way too much padding as it stands.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like with many shows i watch I find well written dialogue scenes more entertaining than all out action/explosions.

So the best part of last nights ep for me was Jack talking to the Phicorps cheif. The least impressive part was Gwen blowing up the ovens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The campy Camp Commandant and his comedy sidekick are great. They should have their own show. Hilarious.

The comedy sidekick is like Stan Laurel in his comic timing and sheer comedic genius. If the Campy Comm comes back to life (it's never certain in this farcical show) then I hope they have a custard pie fight together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Liparus wrote: »
    Like with many shows i watch I find well written dialogue scenes more entertaining than all out action/explosions.

So the best part of last nights ep for me was Jack talking to the Phicorps cheif. The least impressive part was Gwen blowing up the ovens.

I'm not sure I found that well-written at all. The guy had just been outed to his wife and confronted by some apparently psychotic kidnapper and he doesn't seem remotely bothered by it. He just sits there having an incredibly calm and reasoned conversation, patiently explaining to the psycho who ruined his marriage why he's actually on the same side :confused:

It just didn't ring true at all!

At the same time it just compounded yet another faux pas by the Torchwood team in which Jack confronts the man he things is responsible only to find out he doesn't know anything at all.

At least Gwen blowing up the ovens actually accomplished something semi-significant in the fight against PhiCorps. It's about the only thing in that episode where Torchwood actually did anything useful!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing that annoyed me, the military chained up a prisoner in a dingy cellar and left him alone with the civilian in charge...

Isn't that a terrible presentation of the US military and in bad taste considering events in recent memory with prisoners?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Another thing that annoyed me, the military chained up a prisoner in a dingy cellar and left him alone with the civilian in charge...

Isn't that a terrible presentation of the US military and in bad taste considering events in recent memory with prisoners?

And they chained him up in such campy manacles, ones he could have just stepped out of. Why didn't they lock him up in a cell?
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why are Torchwood against the Incinerators? I'm not a nazi or anything but if a relative of mine was dying in screaming agony I'd be begging the authorities to put him/her out of their misery. It seems Torchwood want to keep everybody alive no matter how agonisingly ill until the world starves to death. Doesn't make sense.

They did say something about how it was the thin end of the wedge and it would be the disabled and criminals (I think?)next, but I don't see why that would follow. It seems weird to me; the media in this country generally seem to be very much in favour of legalised euthanasia, often they don't even bother to give any arguments against it, but in this series it seems to be a given that nobody except evil baddies and "only following orders" types would support euthanasia.

Up until the point when Gwen blew up the "ovens", she seemed to be much more bothered about saving her father than saving all the other people, which seemed strange if she was really so opposed to the ovens.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did "they" say to Gwen (when she thoughtlessly went to the phone - yes, I'm Gwen Cooper :eek:) they had her husband, daughter and mother? not her father?
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's right. I think it went mother, husband, child.
  • Options
    madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted good for last nights installment, infact I would say that every episode so far has had some good moments..however I cant help think that if allot of the 'meh' bits were cut, including titles for each episode, recaps for each episode, they could have actually made a very good to excellent 2 hour movie imo..
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the first time I actually rated an episode good.

I think its because I've stopped watching it with my "Torchwood" head on and just started watching it from an "interesting thriller" pov.
    I thought this episode was better paced than previous ones with more tension and more focus on less characters (which helped).

I still have niggles about a lot of things.
    Too many characters who appear to be surplus to the main storyline being used as filler - e.g Colin the deranged Camp Director - yes he killed Vera, tortured Vince and tried to kill Esther - but in the grand scheme of things, he's a nobody.

Likewise the Phicorps middle man - did we really need all that filler about his secretary & his wife?

Was slightly annoyed that there was no further reference made to the chinese agent jumping off the building?

And think they've been far too slow in giving the viewers any real information about why this is all happening. I have a feeling we won't get properly clued in till the last episode now :mad:
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    That's right. I think it went mother, husband, child.
    Thank you. So, after being so intent on freeing her father, she then didn't even mention him, did she? :eek:;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Well I enjoyed that one - maybe I just like things to be a little more slow-burning, I don't know, but I'm enjoy the suspense in the lead up to the big reveal that's obviously coming. I think it's important not to take it too seriously, or you'll be dissapointed ;)

It's popcorn telly sure, but it's good popcorn telly with an interesting plot.
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Thank you. So, after being so intent on freeing her father, she then didn't even mention him, did she? :eek:;)

She wasn't the one 'talking'. It was the baddies!