Solo Gary Barlow VS Solo Geri Halliwell

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's a fair bit of sexism when you consider their current careers. Barlow can easily get away with being a bit outrageous and saying things that he should because he's a man, and as an older woman, Geri just won't get the same leeway. The same goes for radio, they are automatically less likely to play a song by a 40+ year old woman than a 50+ year old man. Just the way things role.

It's fair to say in their peaks Geri did completely outshine Gary.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member
    kenny12 wrote: »
    I thought you had given up? :confused:

Take That are an active group.

The Spice Girls are not an active group.

There is no reasonable comparison.

However, in terms of solo success, Gaz B flopped like a wet kipper whilst Geri has sold 12 million records as a solo act...

I've got to say you remind me very much of A certain poster, Geordie something or other, who was blind when it came to Taylor Swift.. Everything about you just screams her
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all very well pitting Gary Barlow against Geri Halliwell so you can claim that GH has sold more and had more solo hits but what about pitting George Michael against GH or Justin Timberlake against GH?

Both were in successful bands but their solo careers went through the roof and well outsold the sales they made when they were in their respective groups. How does GH stand up against them?
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those are her UK sales stats. I was speaking of her global sales..

Geri has sold 12-15 million records as a solo artist.

The BBC Reports her worldwide total as of 2013 to be 15 million, countless other sources range from 12 - 15 Mill.

Geri's 2013 BBC Bio

i am well aware they are her uk sales, but the chances are, if her alleged uk sales are inflated, then her worldwide sales are too.;) where on earth did the 9.5 million sales come from worldwide, when she only had one proper international hit?:confused:
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That Bio and the Wikipedia page it took its information from contradicts itself. The header says she was born in 1972 yet on the first line of the biography it says she was born 1973? :confused:

If it has got this basic info wrong then what else have they got wrong?
    Forum Member
    I thought you had given up? :confused:

Take That are an active group.

The Spice Girls are not an active group.

There is no reasonable comparison.

However, in terms of solo success, Gaz B flopped like a wet kipper whilst Geri has sold 12 million records as a solo act...

And using that logic, Gary Barlow isn't an active solo artist, Geri Halliwell is, therefore there is no reasonable comparison

Also worth pointing out, Gary Barlow's latest album is certified Gold whilst Geri's isn't certified at all
  • _Magnum__Magnum_ Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I think there's a fair bit of sexism when you consider their current careers. Barlow can easily get away with being a bit outrageous and saying things that he should because he's a man, and as an older woman, Geri just won't get the same leeway. The same goes for radio, they are automatically less likely to play a song by a 40+ year old woman than a 50+ year old man. Just the way things role.

Good point

I know many females who only like a male artist/band because they fancy them over liking their actual music. I believe One Direction's success is strongly built on this.

Women don't have this as much as straight men may fancy them but they won't buy the records.
  • amanda daisyamanda daisy Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    So are you suggesting that he doesn't need the other three (or four if you count Williams)? If you are then I must beg to differ. Had Gary offered to do the Blackpool performance in say - 2004 (before the reunion) I doubt anyone would have bought tickets (in fact his offer would most probably have been thrown back in his face - if he'd dared to offer). Gary Barlow relied on the personalities of the other three guys to be 'brought in from the cold' as it were. His present success is down 100% to those other three saying 'Yes' when the reunion was suggested. In fact - he STILL needs them now as far as song-writing is concerned because as far as I can see - the only decent songs he's written have been those for the group. His offerings for other people have been awful - John Barrowman, Alesha Dixon, Katherine Jenkins, Matt Cardle, anyone remember those classics?
    Hence my saying "if people gave him a chance". Of course that, before 2005, he would have stood no chance with the Blackpool stint. People only knew about him what they read in the media. He has had the disadvantage of not having youtube, google and co. during the 90s; fans weren't aware of what was truly going on. Gary never came out and complained about what Robbie and the media were doing to him. He kept silent and let Robbie take all the fame he craved. But, this second time, Gary has established a fanbase of his own, because more and more people have given him that chance. We know the whole story now and we have the means of staying in touch with the events in his career. It also helped that the artists in the music industry have supported him this time.
    I don't know why you mention the others' personalities. Take a look at any of their tour extras and interviews. The only one (apart from Gary) with a sense of humor is Howard, but Mark is really boring and Jason is too serious. Gary was and still is the clown of the band and the one with so much personality. He's the one reading newspapers during concerts, dancing on the piano, joking with the audience, twisting the lyrics of the songs, etc. I could give you countless examples. I don't even know who started this whole myth that Gary is boring - it was probably Robbie and the papers during the 90s; once that label was placed on Gary, there was nothing he could really do, even if reality is completely different. I've seen so many comments on various youtube videos saying: "Oh, Barlow actually has a sense of humor", which proves how heavily prejudiced people are and how surprised they are when they discover they had been wrong.
    And yes, that's what I am suggesting - that he doesn't need the others. We love TT because they are good friends and have great chemistry and I do want TT albums, but there's a strong fanbase out there who awaits Gary's solo album with a lot more impatience than the TT one next year. It shows that fans have finally grown up and realized that talent prevails over dance moves and good looks. If I had to choose between watching Gary's dvd of his solo tour and the dvd of a TT tour, I'd choose the former, because it's pure class - a voice and a live band entertaining an audience for 2 hours, without any help from dancers, elephants, clowns, robots, deafening music trying to cover the imperfections of the other boys' voices, etc.
    I don't agree that the songs written for other people aren't good. What he wrote for Delta, Lara Fabian, Shirley Bassey, Marcus, Agnetha, Lee Meah are really good, strong songs - it helps that those people are good singers and know how to deliver a song. This Time is probably Gary's best song to date and I Should Have Followed You Home is loved by anyone who listens to it and it may even be one of Agnetha's singles. Matt is also a good singer, but he has no stage presence and wasn't able to perform Gary's song. As Gary has said, 50% of the success of a song is the voice delivering it. had anyone else sung Rule the World, Patience, Greatest Day, they would have flopped. I like Run Away, though, just not when sung by Matt. I'm not saying Gary has written only good songs, but he has written plenty of good songs for other people-that's how he became famous as a songwriter before the TT reunion. It's logical that he writes better for the band than for other people; he has admitted it himself-it's a very personal process.
    And come on: the story with the song for Westlife is hilarious and even Gary took the mickey out of it on his homepage. It wasn't him with the initiative to give Westlife that song; he knew it wasn't a great song; if they wanted it, who was he to say no?
    Plus, you forget that lots of the songs written for other people aren't written entirely by himself. They are CO-written and Gary said all along that, in many cases, they were demanded a specific product. You can't place all the blame on Gary if a song doesn't do so well.
  • amanda daisyamanda daisy Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    _Magnum_ wrote: »
    Good point

I know many females who only like a male artist/band because they fancy them over liking their actual music. I believe One Direction's success is strongly built on this.

Women don't have this as much as straight men may fancy them but they won't buy the records.

Lara Fabian is over 40 and she is one of the few female artists that only go up in their career, conquering country after country and getting airplay. It has nothing to do with being a woman, it has everything to do with talent, a great voice and good songs.
    Nicole is under 40, looks great and has men fancying her, yet she has no repertoire.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lara Fabian is over 40 and she is one of the few female artists that only go up in their career, conquering country after country and getting airplay. It has nothing to do with being a woman, it has everything to do with talent, a great voice and good songs.
    Nicole is under 40, looks great and has men fancying her, yet she has no repertoire.

Only particular types of female artists enjoy success past 40. Very few popstars like Gary do.
  • kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    Children's Charity I used to work with...back in late 90's early noughties I think.

Met loads of people in my time there, and she was the only one I never took to. May just have been a bad day, but still.

Ah, I wouldn;t have been present at an event back then.

I'm sorry that you didn't have a great experience with Geri at that time...

No excuses - but between 1998-2002 Geri, had some serious demons to address...

She can still be hit and miss when meeting people but her heart is certainly in the right place and would be mortified to think that you found her rude.

I'll PM you soon. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spot on! :)
  • pikeurpikeur Posts: 1,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no way Geri Halliwell sold 12 million worldwide, most of her success was in the Uk at a time when cd singles had low sales. At a push and a big push 5 million is the most Geri would have sold worldwide.Her first album did well and stayed around for a bit but he went rapidly downhill after that.

Yes Gary's career plummeted but a true star bounces back and bounce back he did and he is bigger than he ever was. Lets not forget Garys last solo release seen him achieve a solo number 1 single and album. But i think when Gary's and Geri's new albums and singles are released later this year we will see who truly is the bigger star and i know who my money is on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _Magnum_ wrote: »
    I think Look at Me & Mi Chico Latino did quite well worldwide.

they were moderate hits to be fair, but "its raining men" was her only real international smash single.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    i am well aware they are her uk sales, but the chances are, if her alleged uk sales are inflated, then her worldwide sales are too.;) where on earth did the 9.5 million sales come from worldwide, when she only had one proper international hit?:confused:

True

Her UK album solo sales are dire!

I very much doubt she's sold anywhere near her WW estimate. She couldn't shift albums in the UK alone.

Very confusing.

Im hoping she doesn't expect too much with her new project. Or else we'l have another documentary post her album flopping breakdown! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Geri had released "Passion" straight after "Ride It" it may have gone gold in the UK.

Bad move on her record companies part for delaying it by 6 months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Attia_Ash wrote: »
    True

Her UK album solo sales are dire!

I very much doubt she's sold anywhere near her WW estimate. She couldn't shift albums in the UK alone.

Very confusing.

Im hoping she doesn't expect too much with her new project. Or else we'l have another documentary post her album flopping breakdown! :p

well she was allegedly hoping for a reality tv series to help promote her album, but network talks stalled apparently.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geri by miles. Not a fan of her personality but she had some great solo songs that were really fun pop.

Gary's solo work bored me to tears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well she was allegedly hoping for a reality tv series to help promote her album, but network talks stalled apparently.:D

Really?

Poor Geri.

She really has no support here does she. I'm trying to remain positive. If she struggled selling album's at her peak. What are her chances now?

Good old Geri. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do however have to say Geri any day to Gary. He was just rude. Geri for what it's worth has never bad mouthed any of her colleagues. Not even when Mel C/Mel B were giving rude press bites in the early 00's regarding her solo career.

I admire her for that.

But no, I doubt her new project's going to sell considering she's hardly shifted album's in the past.

A Spice reunion is her best option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really?

Poor Geri.

She really has no support here does she. I'm trying to remain positive. If she struggled selling album's at her peak. What are her chances now?

Good old Geri. :D

this was the rumour thread started by our ken.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Geri decided not to go ahead with this project, and FYI it was not a reality TV series.

A number of networks were interested in Geri's Idea (concerning her last , shelved, album) in which Geri would act within a spoof/parody of her daily life as she randomly bursted into songs from her album. It was pitched as Glee meets Pineapple Dance Studios meets Extras. (The cameo appearences willing to appear were... priceless.)

No Network turned her down on this project, Geri changed direction with her new (and upcoming!) album and this type of show would't work.

But this is such old news. Believe what you like// :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do however have to say Geri any day to Gary. He was just rude. Geri for what it's worth has never bad mouthed any of her colleagues. Not even when Mel C/Mel B were giving rude press bites in the early 00's regarding her solo career.

I admire her for that..

Geri would value that accurate comment greatly - so thank you for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geri decided not to go ahead with this project, and FYI it was not a reality TV series.

A number of networks were interested in Geri's Idea (concerning her last , shelved, album) in which Geri would act within a spoof/parody of her daily life as she randomly bursted into songs from her album. It was pitched as Glee meets Pineapple Dance Studios meets Extras. (The cameo appearences willing to appear were... priceless.)

No Network turned her down on this project, Geri changed direction with her new (and upcoming!) album and this type of show would't work.

oh, i forgot it was a "glee like show".:o still waiting for those us sales figures.....:)
    Forum Member

Ok Geri we get it, you are successful
This discussion has been closed.