Options

50th Anniversary Special Title (& BBC Commisions)

Comments

• Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    It's gone too!

It's working for me...
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I've done a 'Print Screen' and put it on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43707468@N03/9719018980/lightbox/
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Slightly disappointed it's not 90 minutes, but I shan't complain. Quality over quantity and all that.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the story works in 75 minutes, it's a good length. But I can see it already :p

"It was a rushed mess, needed 90 minutes!"
    "Why wasn't this a two-part special?!"

:D
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something shouts cock-up here.

Looking at the date updated, it states 10 September 2013 Last updated at 07:26 ET Note the "ET" (UK site does not sport a timezone)

The news menu along the top: Home | US & Canada | Latin America | UK | Africa ..... rather than the normal Home | World | UK | England | N.Ireland | Scotland | Wales ...

The BBC menu right at the top: News | Sport | Weather | Capital | Culture | Autos | TV | Radio ... rather than News | Sport | Weather | iPlayer | TV | Radio .... Capital, Culture, Autos link to www.bbc.com

All suggests that this was not the UK site (or at least the page wasn't if that makes sense).... quite what it is I am not sure
  • Options
    Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

Looking at the date updated, it states 10 September 2013 Last updated at 07:26 ET Note the "ET" (UK site does not sport a timezone)

The news menu along the top: Home | US & Canada | Latin America | UK | Africa ..... rather than the normal Home | World | UK | England | N.Ireland | Scotland | Wales ...

The BBC menu right at the top: News | Sport | Weather | Capital | Culture | Autos | TV | Radio ... rather than News | Sport | Weather | iPlayer | TV | Radio ...

All suggests that this was not the UK site (or at least the page wasn't if that makes sense).... quite what it is I am not sure

I would guess that the snapshot that is seen on that site is one that was made by somebody in the US rather than the UK, nothing more than that.

When I looked at the article earlier today on the BBC page it was as normal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yog101 wrote: »
    I would guess that the snapshot that is seen on that site is one that was made by somebody in the US rather than the UK, nothing more than that.

It was for me also. It was in the regular "BBC Entertainment News" section. I have a feeling the US and North American territories are going to get the official details first. It might seem a bit annoying for UK fans, but I suspect it's because the BBC want to keep the info here secret for longer because of competition getting hold of details and scheduling a dynamic twist of an XF episode against it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yog101 wrote: »

I'm looking at the cached webpage, not the snapshot (cached as bbc.co.uk according to Google)

Odd, as the news links all point to bbc.co,uk, whilst the News link right at the top points to bbc.com, Sport & Weather to bbc.co.uk, Capital, Culture & Autos to bbc.com, and Radio to bbc.co.uk

Unless it's an oddity with IP geo-location of course, and the .com links don't change as there are no equivalent .co.uk links.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking at the cached webpage, not the snapshot (cached as bbc.co.uk according to Google)

Odd, as the news links all point to bbc.co,uk, whilst the News link right at the top points to bbc.com, Sport & Weather to bbc.co.uk, Capital, Culture & Autos to bbc.com, and Radio to bbc.co.uk

Unless it's an oddity with IP geo-location of course, and the .com links don't change as there are no equivalent .co.uk links.

Guys, do you think this could be a hoax?
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I

On the news, the title seems very Moffat'y to me :p The Day of the Doctor, following on from The Name of the Doctor. Anyone want to wager a guess for what 'of the Doctor' title we'll get for the Christmas special? :rolleyes: :D

The Pudding of the Doctor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Pudding of the Doctor.

Looking at the pics from today's shooting
    The Turkey of the Doctor

is mor likely IMO :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the pics from today's shooting
    The Turkey of the Doctor

is mor likely IMO :p

Yes. I thought the shots looked a lot like a Christmas Special of old. Not sure what to think! RTD'ish (I hope!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Guys, do you think this could be a hoax?

When faced with the choice of cock-up or conspiracy, I would always go with cock-up.

In other words, as I posted earlier, I would think that the story is embargoed and someone jumped the gun by putting the page contents live in error.

ITV have done similar things, I recall seeing one news item on their publicly-available Press Release page with a clear note at the top saying that it was embargoed until a few days into the future!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The BBC menu right at the top: News | Sport | Weather | Capital | Culture | Autos | TV | Radio ... rather than News | Sport | Weather | iPlayer | TV | Radio .... Capital, Culture, Autos link to www.bbc.com

Google is based in the US, and the cache saves an imprint of how the page looked when Google's spiders looked at it. It looks like the US version of the site because Google saw a US version of the site.

ET is Eastern Time - usually five hours behind us.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    If the story works in 75 minutes, it's a good length. But I can see it already :p

"It was a rushed mess, needed 90 minutes!"
    "Why wasn't this a two-part special?!"

:D

75 minutes is fine with me.

Quality over Quantity every time.
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    75 minutes is fine with me.

Quality over Quantity every time.

I agree - IF it actually is quality.

One of the issues with series 7 for me was that stories with a decent premise, such as the Power of Three, felt rushed, shoehorned as they were into 45 minutes. A good story needs time to breathe and for the characters to be developed. In theory, 75 minutes should be more than enough time. However I'd imagine that the storyline will be quite ambitious in scope, due to it being the 50th anniversary. They will need every minute they can get to make sure things aren't rushed.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    I agree - IF it actually is quality.

One of the issues with series 7 for me was that stories with a decent premise, such as the Power of Three, felt rushed, shoehorned as they were into 45 minutes. A good story needs time to breathe and for the characters to be developed. In theory, 75 minutes should be more than enough time. However I'd imagine that the storyline will be quite ambitious in scope, due to it being the 50th anniversary. They will need every minute they can get to make sure things aren't rushed.

I am hoping 75 minutes will be just right as a compromise. After all some two parters drag a bit while single parters can have too much going on. I just hope Moffat has paced it well ie not like The Wedding of River Song. Of course we don't want it to he too ponderous but I really hope there is plenty of room to let the actors shine rather than just having a quick paced clever narrative. We have three of the countries finest actors in this. I want epic speeches and fantastic dialogue, not Moffats super snappy one liners. If we don't get that with Tennant and Smith and Hurt then it will be a missed opportunity. In fact it will be unforgivable.
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is being done in 3D... the whole thing has been shot in 3D as one of the last things the BBC is doing in the format...for now at least. :) I suspect details of any screenings will be released soon, but not quite so in advance.

On the news, the title seems very Moffat'y to me :p The Day of the Doctor, following on from The Name of the Doctor. Anyone want to wager a guess for what 'of the Doctor' title we'll get for the Christmas special? :rolleyes: :D

The running length is perfectly fine... 90 minutes would have been nice, but until we see it...who knows, maybe that extra time would have made it overblown. I guess we'll have to wait and see. :)

I'd have said 'The Death of the Doctor' but isn't that already
    a title used in SJA?

Also, looking at the pictures from the Christmas filming... (This isn't actually a spoiler in any way shape or form but if you're someone who has avoided the Xmas filming pictures then I can understand you may not wish to read it)
    Why is the TARDIS not TARDIS Blue? It seems REALLY bright. I'm assuming they'll darken it up a bit during the editing stages???
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Piipp wrote: »
    Why is the TARDIS not TARDIS Blue? It seems REALLY bright. I'm assuming they'll darken it up a bit during the editing stages???

In response to this (and not really a spoiler as everyone knows that the TARDIS will indeed be involved in Doctor Who) I believe it's because after they began filming in HD in 2009 the TARDIS just looked too dark in its normal colour. The prop is now much lighter, and is edited later on in production :)

As an example:

The Time of Angels, filming pic:
    http://liberalvaluesblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/s5filming3.jpg

The Time of Angels, screencap:
    http://thenerdrageblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/d11s01e04_wallpaper_30.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In response to this (and not really a spoiler as everyone knows that the TARDIS will indeed be involved in Doctor Who) I believe it's because after they began filming in HD in 2009 the TARDIS just looked too dark in its normal colour. The prop is now much lighter, and is edited later on in production :)

As an example:

The Time of Angels, filming pic:
    http://liberalvaluesblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/s5filming3.jpg

The Time of Angels, screencap:
    http://thenerdrageblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/d11s01e04_wallpaper_30.jpg

I dunno, I think it looks even lighter than that. Not just that but the windows look a lot more drastic too.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    With regards to the 75 minute film. Is it possibly to do with overseas broadcasting? I reckon that would be a full 90 minute film with commercials (possibly longer). (or when it is eventually shown on UK-TV Channels!)
    A lot of films I watch only last about 75- 80 minutes (when I FF the adverts!) :):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With regards to the 75 minute film. Is it possibly to do with overseas broadcasting? I reckon that would be a full 90 minute film with commercials (possibly longer). (or when it is eventually shown on UK-TV Channels!)
    A lot of films I watch only last about 75- 80 minutes (when I FF the adverts!) :):)

Most films are far longer than 75 minutes but they're edited to death by commercial channels to ensure they can get 5000 adverts in the middle.