Options

Virgin Media buys SmallWorld

Comments

• Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    what use is DTS support when no UK channel broadcasts DTS.

You could say what's the point of Dolby Digital on Sky + boxes? I am sure the box was created then the broadcast channels decided to use it on their channels. Maybe if they had DTS available channels might use it? Same as HD, channels didn't broadcast in HD in the hope a box would be capable one day.

PJ
  • Options
    Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    You could say what's the point of Dolby Digital on Sky + boxes? I am sure the box was created then the broadcast channels decided to use it on their channels. Maybe if they had DTS available channels might use it? Same as HD, channels didn't broadcast in HD in the hope a box would be capable one day.

PJ

I could be wrong so I apologise in advance, however every DTS stream I've seen has been 1Mbps+ I doubt broadcasters would want to have a bit-rate for sound that high, I'd rather the extra 600Kbps go to video, most of the channels including HD channels are looking worse and worse it seems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong so I apologise in advance, however every DTS stream I've seen has been 1Mbps+ I doubt broadcasters would want to have a bit-rate for sound that high, I'd rather the extra 600Kbps go to video, most of the channels including HD channels are looking worse and worse it seems.

I don't know anything about how it's broadcast so no apology needed :-) just have always preferred both DTS on my DVD player then DTS-HD on my bluray :)

PJ
  • Options
    RyanC1992RyanC1992 Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Victor1st wrote: »
    So, what I now have to look forward to with Virgin...

Prices rises roughly every year which is above inflation.

0 (or close to 0) customer support.

A connection which drops out randomly for no apparent reason.

Still it was a good run, smallworld/wightcable/omne have been around for what, almost 15 years or so? "Supporting the local company" usually means at the end that the company sells off and their owners get a big chunk of cash, then the users of that small company get shifted to the big one and slowly get ripped off.

Now I have a choice... BT or Virgin...

...not much a choice is it? rofl.

In all honesty, I find the Virgin Media team quite good to deal with. Any issues I have I tend to avoid the phone though and deal with the webchat team or the Social Media Team moreso who are excellent at dealing with any queries I've had.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Any reason why I was downloading at 5Mb/s and am now at 8.5Mb/s?
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

PJ
    DTS is not practical. If you broadcast DTS everybody would need a home cinema or AV system that supports it! Select a DTS soundtrack on a DVD and you will get no sound through your TV speakers. Do the same with Dolby Digital and it will still be ouputted as normal stereo on non Dolby Digital supported equipment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DTS is not practical. If you broadcast DTS everybody would need a home cinema or AV system that supports it! Select a DTS soundtrack on a DVD and you will get no sound through your TV speakers. Do the same with Dolby Digital and it will still be ouputted as normal stereo on non Dolby Digital supported equipment.

Good point well made. But could Sky, just like DVD players be capable of both formats?
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Good point well made. But could Sky, just like DVD players be capable of both formats?

Yes they can.

Any DVB standard can have multiple audio feeds.

On non sky equipment such as my technomate I can press audio and change the track, same on the Tivo.

simple enough, all you'd need is another audio feed capable of DTS, then a software update in the VM box or Sky box to allow the default over HDMI or optical to be DTS.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Sorry to be a stick in the mud folks but we stay in Kilmarnock and have small world.
    The broadband is exceptional. However, the tv is utter shite.
    We have had umpteen boxes and all of them dump channels and recordings.
    If virgin Don improve the service, we are moving to another provider
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be a stick in the mud folks but we stay in Kilmarnock and have small world.
    The broadband is exceptional. However, the tv is utter shite.
    We have had umpteen boxes and all of them dump channels and recordings.
    If virgin Don improve the service, we are moving to another provider
    The impression I get is that you will get better TV service in the future when you will get access to Virgin's TV offerings including Tivo. But you may have to pay more for it.
  • Options
    AyrshireDJAyrshireDJ Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I used to work for Smallworld - and yes - i`m looking with interest to see how this will pan out.

No complaints with the BB - its the best available in the area. The TV box was a great box, when it worked. However the recordings side of it was sketchy at best. Did like the fact that you can add a USB drive to it and use it like a media centre, something Sky have still to realise.

I am still a telephone and BB user with SM/VM - and plan to be for a while unless there is a radical price change or degredation in service.

I moved to Sky for TV a long time ago - and sorted the Media centre option with a Now TV box and Plex :)
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AyrshireDJ wrote: »
    No complaints with the BB - its the best available in the area.

you don't work for them now... so you don't need to stick to the "party line" :D
    many would disagree that it's the best available in the area.
    best "advertised" speed yes, best "actual" speed no :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you don't work for them now... so you don't need to stick to the "party line" :D
    lol, if his post is the official party line then I wonder what the unofficial party line is for he also says: "The TV box was a great box, when it worked. However the recordings side of it was sketchy at best. " "I moved to Sky for TV a long time ago.."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    lol, if his post is the official party line then I wonder what the unofficial party line is for he also says: "The TV box was a great box, when it worked. However the recordings side of it was sketchy at best. " "I moved to Sky for TV a long time ago.."

if you can read then you'll see i quoted just one particular part.
    go on, read it again, you know you want to.
    don't be embarrassed to admit you didn't read it properly the first time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you can read then you'll see i quoted just one particular part.
    go on, read it again, you know you want to.
    don't be embarrassed to admit you didn't read it properly the first time.

But surely one has to read the whole of another's post for it to make sense, which is why 1andrew1 said what they did?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But surely one has to read the whole of another's post for it to make sense, which is why 1andrew1 said what they did?

but i was only referring to the broadband part of the post, so no.
    anyway, we are both ex-smallworld employees (well i was Omne) and we know each so you two are not in on the joke.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member

Have just received new hub and broadband download has increased from 80 to 100 (this is in Carlisle). Quite happy with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks ....

im just wondering if this new virgin system will be fast enough to stream the tennis ..... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AyrshireDJ wrote: »
    chenks ....

im just wondering if this new virgin system will be fast enough to stream the tennis ..... :)

knowing smallworld, i doubt it could stream a plain black image successfully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thats a bit of a broken arm isnt it
  • Options
    meherenowmeherenow Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I see the "step by step guide" to switching arrived in the post today.

I hope we are to be offered some sort of deal to stick around as we are technically "new" customers? I assume we are to be tied to an new 18 month contract?

What kind of deal should we be holding out for do you reckon?

No TV for me, just phone and broadband.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meherenow wrote: »
    I see the "step by step guide" to switching arrived in the post today.

I hope we are to be offered some sort of deal to stick around as we are technically "new" customers? I assume we are to be tied to an new 18 month contract?

What kind of deal should we be holding out for do you reckon?

No TV for me, just phone and broadband.

Have a look at VM's offers for new customers and those for PlusNet and TalkTalk and I would expect something similar. If you can get Openreach fibre then you are in a good negotiating position.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Have a look at VM's offers for new customers and those for PlusNet and TalkTalk and I would expect something similar. If you can get Openreach fibre then you are in a good negotiating position.

According to the checker I can get between 60Mb and the max 76Mb on BT where I am, plus there's currently £84 to be had at Topcashback, plus the £100 Sainsbury voucher...not to mention BT Sport for nothing...hmmm....

Will need to see what happens nearer the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It looks like the time of the change is approaching, has anyone had any contact yet?

More importantly, what deals (if any) are being offered?

I am certainly of the opinion that if Virgin are expecting us all to sign up to new 18 month contracts then we should be treated as new customers and therefore should expect at the VERY least the same incentives that new customers are offered, ie - discounted prices for the first few months.