Options

Kylie Minogue: Perfect example of vacuous modern pop culture?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
Forum Member
✭✭✭
She's made a 20+ year career out of a mediocre singing voice, a few half decent songs and a pair of gold hot pants.

She must be the female Robbie Williams, listening to her music is an empty, soul less experience.

20 years ago she was a joke and now she is made out to to be someting special.

How did it get to this?

Comments

• Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shut Up.
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Ok, so there's been a hate thread on Britney, now Kylie and i have a slight prediction Madonna is next

Yawn
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People can say things about Madonna, but they cant make it stick ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    How did it get to this?

because over a 20+ year career she's acquired a large, loyal fan base?
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's made a 20+ year career out of a mediocre singing voice, a few half decent songs and a pair of gold hot pants.

She must be the female Robbie Williams, listening to her music is an empty, soul less experience.

How did it get to this?

Gays and teenyboppers buying her dreadful music.
  • Options
    floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    Blame pop producers Stock, Aitken and Waterman. They signed her and made her pop career. And we must also blame the BBC for showing Neighbours because SAW wouldn't have signed her had they not seen the show. And blame Australia for making Neighbours in the first place. :D
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    By definition the majority of pop music is vacuous, mediocre and throwaway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    By definition the majority of pop music is vacuous, mediocre and throwaway.

By definition most pop music is popular. Your broad judgements on the whole genre depends entirely on how far up your own anus you are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't some people get over the fact that there exists some singers which they don't like or get?

Some people like her, some don't. So what. It's the same for every musical act. Why the need to start a thread about your confusion?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan really but All The Lovers is okay.
  • Options
    haim100haim100 Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a ridiculous post! Kylie Minogue is nowhere near as vacuous as the author of this thread, clearly.

The reason she has had a successful 20+ year career is because she has a large fan base and a lot of people like her music. If that's a hard pill for you to swallow, then simply don't listen to her music or fantasize about her so much that it makes you post this message. I see you've gone to the trouble of researching how long she has been around for and how infamous her gold hotpants are - what an awful lot you know for someone who claims to have no time for this artist!

:yawn:;)
  • Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haim100 wrote: »
    What a ridiculous post! Kylie Minogue is nowhere near as vacuous as the author of this thread, clearly.

The reason she has had a successful 20+ year career is because she has a large fan base and a lot of people like her music. If that's a hard pill for you to swallow, then simply don't listen to her music or fantasize about her so much that it makes you post this message. I see you've gone to the trouble of researching how long she has been around for and how infamous her gold hotpants are - what an awful lot you know for someone who claims to have no time for this artist!

:yawn:;)

My bet is he is a secret fan, hiding in the kylie closet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well she's doing something right because as the OP rightly points out, she's been around now for 20 years and has such an impact that the OP is moved to denounce her very existence.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the op's assesment of her is actually pretty accurate, though her fans are obviously upset that not everyone shares their view.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

How did it get to this?

Well we love her. Kylie is the goddess. Her singing has improved since the eighties.

She puts a lot into her music and her songs are better than most acts around.

"On a night like this"
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »
    Blame pop producers Stock, Aitken and Waterman. They signed her and made her pop career. And we must also blame the BBC for showing Neighbours because SAW wouldn't have signed her had they not seen the show. And blame Australia for making Neighbours in the first place. :D

now THIS is my kinda answer! lol
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    My bet is he is a secret fan, hiding in the kylie closet.

''In the closet'' is a great way to describe a lot of her fans.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    The pink pound is largely responsible for keeping the likes of Kylie, Madonna and Lady Gaga in business.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,345
    Forum Member
    I think Kylie's voice is below average tbh, but i love her music. Her songs are so catchy and great to dance to so i've got a good few on my ipod. She always puts on a good performance too.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the early days all her songs differed from previous ones. Now many sound similar, for example All the Lovers and Love at First Sight. However, she always releases at least one good single from every album, which has helped her longevity.

I can remember people ridiculing me ca 1989 for liking U2 and Kylie, as if they are mutually incompatible. The fact that both have lasted the test of time is a credit to their talent and longevit, and means that I have won the argument after all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree in principal with what you're saying . . . .

She knocked it off with Can't get You Outta Ma Head, but since then it's been a big pile of aussie poo.

In Kylie's defence tho', it takes a lot of work to remain in the public eye, for her to be where she is & still workin' after all these years, with all her crappy songs, is something special, you gotta hand it to her.

I guess her sexiness helps too.