Options

Video Nasties -the Definitive Guide

timestalkertimestalker Posts: 374
Forum Member
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-Nasties-Definitive-Guide-Limited/dp/B003X22LI6/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

Got this today.
Wow , it's superb.
Not had a chance to see the complete documentary yet but Discs 2 and 3 are around 4 hours each with trailers and introductions for all 72 films -nostalgia heaven.

Disc 1 also has a 50 minute compilation of Video Label jingles from those golden days of the early 80's.

The LE is £14.99 and the only limited part is supposed to be the artcards that are included.

The regular edition is out on Monday for nearly £19.:confused:

If you were around at the time or have any interest in this shameful era of British film history you really must buy this release

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    I forgot about this, it's on my amazon wish list. Thanks for the reminder. :D
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent stuff. That's going on my Xmas list!

I went to a debate at the NFT years ago with BBFC chief James Ferman and Clive Barker and Wes Craven and the three talked in great depth about censorship, particularly of horror films (naturally), which included looking at a few clips of Craven's Last House on the Left which I think was still banned at the time.

Ferman was actually really against censorship and he was responsible for turning around a lot of old ideas at the BBFC. IIRC he thought the whole "video nasty" fiasco of the early 80s was ludicrous.

My overriding memory of that debate was that some of the nasties should stay banned, not because they're so shocking but because many of them were just really bad movies :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Excellent stuff. That's going on my Xmas list!

I went to a debate at the NFT years ago with BBFC chief James Ferman and Clive Barker and Wes Craven and the three talked in great depth about censorship, particularly of horror films (naturally), which included looking at a few clips of Craven's Last House on the Left which I think was still banned at the time.

Ferman was actually really against censorship and he was responsible for turning around a lot of old ideas at the BBFC. IIRC he thought the whole "video nasty" fiasco of the early 80s was ludicrous.

My overriding memory of that debate was that some of the nasties should stay banned, not because they're so shocking but because many of them were just really bad movies :)

Ferman was an idiot.
    It was a disgrace that nobody would take him on for his ridiculous personal dislikes.

It was him personally that decided chainsticks were banned outright and any scenes with them in had to be censored .
    He wasn't worried that this meant one of The Pink Panther films had to be cut.

It was his personal decision to keep The Exorcist , Texas Chainsaw , Straw Dogs and others off the shelves for a decade and a half.

Unsurprisingly as soon as he was gone all the famous films he kept banned all started to appear without society imploding although it did take a further decade before UK viewers were allowed to see The Last House On the Left uncut .
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Spit On Your Grave (1973)...the ultimate video nasty!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I Spit On Your Grave (1973)...the ultimate video nasty!!!!

It was made in 1978.
    The authorities of the nanny state still think British citizens are too fragile to watch the entire film despite anyone being able to buy the uncut US dvd for the last 10 years.

I suspect similar problems will occur when the remake hits dvd/bluray too

Finally got round to watching the documentary all the way through today .
    I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting but I was disappointed that it was virtually all talking heads.

The directors over use of fake effects to make the image look like damaged videotape got irritating aswell.
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll definately be getting this, thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    been watching these all xmas, I really enjoyed the documentary but the run through of videos and trailers was highly entertaining. I loved every minute of it.

Definitely gonna buy me a copy of Bloody Moon, that one looks amazing. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    I always hear the phrase "video nasty" but what does it actually mean?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topuptvnow wrote: »
    I always hear the phrase "video nasty" but what does it actually mean?

It was a term used in the 80's by different organisations to describe films that objected to the content based within said film.
  • Options
    nhodkin147nhodkin147 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was made in 1978.
    The authorities of the nanny state still think British citizens are too fragile to watch the entire film despite anyone being able to buy the uncut US dvd for the last 10 years.

I suspect similar problems will occur when the remake hits dvd/bluray too

It's like a re-run of the '70s again.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/BFF271143

How anyone watching this film would be turned on by what is happening is beyond me.

The consumer advice for the DVD states "this work was passed with no cuts made", however "this submission was pre-cut by the distributor in line with the UK cinema release", so the DVD version will be cut. However, there will be an unrated US DVD release (8th Feb, according to Amazon.com), so I'll be holding out for that.

Really is about time the BBFC grew up, and this "Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide" DVD puts them to shame. It makes a mockery of the whole issue of censorship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nhodkin147 wrote: »
    It's like a re-run of the '70s again.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/BFF271143

How anyone watching this film would be turned on by what is happening is beyond me.

The consumer advice for the DVD states "this work was passed with no cuts made", however "this submission was pre-cut by the distributor in line with the UK cinema release", so the DVD version will be cut. However, there will be an unrated US DVD release (8th Feb, according to Amazon.com), so I'll be holding out for that.

Really is about time the BBFC grew up, and this "Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide" DVD puts them to shame. It makes a mockery of the whole issue of censorship.

the whole thing was an embarrassing farce. I loved the bit in the documentary where they showed an interview of the minister in charge of the fiasco, who made the claim on camera that these videos had a 'negative effect on children and dogs!'. :D

PMSL. :D
  • Options
    wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    Guys your all missing the point.

The whole reason for the video nasty era wasn't always about something being too gory or offensive or sexual. The people at the BBFC and even the people in government at the time, looked down their noses at the working class. The man that worked with his hands was somehow deemed not to be able to think for himself compared to a man who works with a pen in an office. It really does get down to that level.

The other side of it of course is the advent of VHS video. The idea that these 'working class' individuals who don't have a great income, don't have a well dressed family and great intelligent kids.......might just get ideas from these films and in the case of sexual scenes in movies, dare i say it - get turned on from them! That really did worry them and of course what can you do with VHS? You can watch, rewind, watch, rewind, watch, rewind to your hearts content. That was the real problem with it all and that looking down their nose at the rest of us bunch are still very much at large. Maybe not high in numbers but there is a few still around and they still think that some of us aren't capable of thinking for ourselves or realising what is right and what is wrong.

And then of course you read the newspapers, you see what some of the young generation are doing. Especially with animals, the crimes in animal cruelty has risen so much lately. Maybe there is something to it. But they need to realise that banning stuff doesn't make it go away. Not when technology is at the level it is now and things are expanding all the time.
  • Options
    FloydoidFloydoid Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Melon Farmers have a very comprehensive reference list (as well as plenty to say on the topic):

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/nasties.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Floydoid wrote: »
    Melon Farmers have a very comprehensive reference list (as well as plenty to say on the topic):

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/nasties.htm

Just looked at the interesting list of cuts to A Serbian Film on Melon Farmers's BBFC cuts page. I'm almost tempted to watch the cut version just to see how badly cut it is, if that list is anything to go by then the entire film probably wont make sense at all.

I also think it's funny that they insist on cutting out a girl licking a lollipop, but they dont seem to take exception to a man being skullf*cked to death by the main character, lol. By all means, force your penis into a mans eye socket, but please, no inuenndo, we're the BBFC!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guys your all missing the point.

The whole reason for the video nasty era wasn't always about something being too gory or offensive or sexual. The people at the BBFC .

To be fair to the numpties at the BBFC they had very little to do with the nasties fiasco.
    It was the DPP that drew up the nasties list and even included titles for which the BBFC had already issued certificates.

The BBFC didn't get in on the act until they were given the job of classifying every film known to man.
    Then the rot set in .

And for 15 years the UK suffered at the hands of the nutter in chief James Ferman who's personal dislikes were forced upon other members of the BBFC and film companies were told not to waste their time trying to put certain films through purely on the word of this man who was held responsible to nobody.

Ironically his undoing was actually passing something the Governments tossers of the time didn't approve of but once he was kicked out most of the films he had banned on his whims for 15 years were swiftly passed and released
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    lil lexie wrote: »
    the whole thing was an embarrassing farce. I loved the bit in the documentary where they showed an interview of the minister in charge of the fiasco, who made the claim on camera that these videos had a 'negative effect on children and dogs!'. :D

PMSL. :D

How would it affect dogs though? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Just looked at the interesting list of cuts to A Serbian Film on Melon Farmers's BBFC cuts page. I'm almost tempted to watch the cut version just to see how badly cut it is, if that list is anything to go by then the entire film probably wont make sense at all.

I also think it's funny that they insist on cutting out a girl licking a lollipop, but they dont seem to take exception to a man being skullf*cked to death by the main character, lol. By all means, force your penis into a mans eye socket, but please, no inuenndo, we're the BBFC!:rolleyes:

I really do wonder how the cut version would look. I didn't think it was THAT bad uncut really, minus the baby. Not a charming film but not earth shattering.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just watched this , blimey ! it's comprehensive ! there's 4 hours a piece on discs 2 and 3 .

It could've done with challenging the people who campaigned against the films a bit more , I mean that research showing that 40% of children had watched a video nasty was so easily de-bunked and I'd like to have seen it's 'authors' challenged on that .
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The two books 'The Seduction Of The Gullible' and 'See No Evil' cover the ground around debunking the utter shite used to castigate the 'nasties' with quite comprehensively.
  • Options
    puchicapuchica Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Its nearly 30 years since the Video Nasties shite happened.
    Those with authority have learned nothing and still do not understand that censorship for adults does not work and should not be allowed.

That halfwit arsewipe Graham Bright who jumped on the Whitehouse bandwagon and got the VRA brought in is really proud of his efforts and is still trotting out the same moronic shite today that he used as an excuse in 1984 so he's as deluded today as he was then.

Maybe he's too embarrassed by what happened and what an arse he looks so he's decided to pretend it was a good idea
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    puchica wrote: »
    Its nearly 30 years since the Video Nasties shite happened.
    Those with authority have learned nothing and still do not understand that censorship for adults does not work and should not be allowed.

That halfwit arsewipe Graham Bright who jumped on the Whitehouse bandwagon and got the VRA brought in is really proud of his efforts and is still trotting out the same moronic shite today that he used as an excuse in 1984 so he's as deluded today as he was then.

Maybe he's too embarrassed by what happened and what an arse he looks so he's decided to pretend it was a good idea

so you'd have no censorship at all , anything can be filmed/shown ?
  • Options
    puchicapuchica Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    so you'd have no censorship at all , anything can be filmed/shown ?

What a silly comment.:rolleyes:

I would like to see Britain come into line with most of the rest of the world where adults can see movies without the interference of state censors .
    The BBFC should do what their name suggests - classify.
    They should advise on content - they should not be able to censor films designed for adult viewing although they could continue to advise with warnings on content.

We do not need censors and in this age of the internet they are little more than a state appointed tax on film makers.

Why should I have to buy both versions of I Spit On YOur Grave on Bluray from the US?

Why should fisting be banned from UK dvd's simply because the BBFC think its obscene?

Why should films like Murder Set Pieces be banned when we can easily import them?

Virtually all the "video nasties" are appearing uncut in the UK now , so its taken the UK a quarter of a century to catch up with the rest of the modern world.

Yet Graham Bright seems to think that had we let the Video Nasties loose the UK would have become a cesspool of violence and murder - just like the rest of censor free Europe never did.

I wonder what he thinks of the films appearing today.
    Since many of the banned films started to appear I've not noticed any increase in chainsaw killings or other things the establishment were so afraid of for more than 15 years.

I daresay in 20 years we will look back on the BBFC with a laugh and a quip.

Most of our European cousins look upon the UK with amusement .

Had a look at the US Bluray of the original I Spit On Your Grave today and one nugget from one of the commentaries was that the R rating that the film seemed to get and was used on publicity etc was not legal.

The R was given to a version of the film that was edited by 17 minutes and the MPAA planned to sue the film makers for using the R rating on the uncut video release.

It's now rightfully classifed as UNRATED.
    An option the UK could do with
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would it affect dogs though? :confused:

Might be referring to the real animal torture/maiming/killing in movies like Bloody Moon.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    Might be referring to the real animal torture/maiming/killing in movies like Bloody Moon.

Amusing, but let's not hold up Bloody Moon as an example of the hardcore animal 'snuff' subgenre akin to the Italian mondo and cannibal films. The BBFC were sufficiently unconcerned about the brief snippet of snake-snipping to let it pass uncut, and indeed IIRC there is something in the act about prolonged killing/torture as opposed to quick kills. That's why films like Jean-Luc Godard's Week-End have never posed the BBFC any censorship problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    The "snake killing" in Bloody Moon isn't real - if you watch the scene in slow motion the sheers are snipped in front of the snake.

Just to let you know, I'm the producer of this DVD set.