What do you like about... Brighton?

AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Carrying on the current trend of threads about various cities, I thought here's one for my home town of 18 years - Brighton!

My favourite parts of Brighton include Churchill Square and The Laines, the Pier, the efficient bus service, The Marina and Queen's Park.

In some ways I'm looking forward to the new observation tower we're getting in the next few years, but in other ways I'm wondering if we're becoming too much like London as we've also recently introduced talking buses and last year received bendy buses.

Comments

• UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its proximity to London.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    staying at one of the boutique B&B's every year, and going xmas shopping. Always enjoy that at brighton.
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Shopping in the little boutiques in The Lanes. :cool:
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the fact that they voted for the first Green MP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like how tolerant it is for the main part. (Not including West Street any time after 7pm on a weekend.)
    I am soon moving away, after many years, but will definitely be back to visit regularly.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elsquid wrote: »
    I like how tolerant it is for the main part. (Not including West Street any time after 7pm on a weekend.)
    West Street was the strangest phenomenon. It was as if someone had teleported a street from Leeds, Manchester or somewhere similar into the middle of Brighton.

Most of the people walking up and down it were your typical weekend Brits on the piss. The girls were barely dressed, fake tanned and heavily made-up and the boys were identically dressed with hatred in their eyes and Stella Artois on their breath......yet, walk past the cinema at the bottom end or the clock tower at the top end and these people were nowhere to be seen.

I always imagine they evaporated into the ether like a mist, as soon as they stepped foot out of either end of the street.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    West Street was the strangest phenomenon. It was as if someone had teleported a street from Leeds, Manchester or somewhere similar into the middle of Brighton.

Most of the people walking up and down it were your typical weekend Brits on the piss. The girls were barely dressed, fake tanned and heavily made-up and the boys were identically dressed with hatred in their eyes and Stella Artois on their breath......yet, walk past the cinema at the bottom end or the clock tower at the top end and these people were nowhere to be seen.

I always imagine they evaporated into the ether like a mist, as soon as they stepped foot out of either end of the street.

It's bizarre, isn't it! I avoid that area like the plague. I don't even know how to apply fake tan for a start. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I moved there fifteen years ago, it was affordable, friendly, and one of the most relaxed places I'd ever known. On bank holiday weekends, you could spot the Londoners a mile away.

By the time I left five years ago it had completely changed. House prices had trebled driving out a lot of the younger people and replacing them with property developers and wealthy second home owners. It wasn't Brighton my more.

I don't miss the city I left but I'll always miss the city I moved to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Choccywoccydoodah!!!!
    The best cake shop in England as far as i am concerned, its expensive but definetly worth it, i get my birthday cake from there every year :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elsquid wrote: »
    It's bizarre, isn't it! I avoid that area like the plague. I don't even know how to apply fake tan for a start. :D
    If you build a Wetherspoon's, they will come. ;)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used to like Gay Pride but they've ****ed it up this year by fencing it off and charging.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    megnum wrote: »
    Choccywoccydoodah!!!!
    The best cake shop in England as far as i am concerned, its expensive but definetly worth it, i get my birthday cake from there every year :D

I used to pass it every day and marvel at the cakes. :)

I worked just round the corner at the Media Centre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I used to pass it every day and marvel at the cakes. :)

I worked just round the corner at the Media Centre.

Some are just amazing arent they?
    They do the best displays at christmas & halloween, would love to get one of the big tiered cakes but i hear they are upwards of £500 :eek:

The one i get usually costs around £80 which is very OTT for a cake but its the best thing you have ever tasted!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll never forget the morning I received a phone call from a friend telling me to...."Get down to the beach quickly, the pier is on fire." :eek:
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Italian cafe on the Marina for its delicious ice cream
    The bus service, and having fewer cars per bus compared to most of the country
    Having Green Party Leader Caroline Lucas as their MP
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So these barely dressed girls and hatred spilling guys must have come from Manchester, Leeds or somewhere similar? They couldn't possibly be fake tanned, heavily made up Brightonians.

I love Lewes but find Brighton quite common.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Chris Eubank still drive about in a big truck?
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »
    Does Chris Eubank still drive about in a big truck?

:confused:
    BG, Will tell you in about 4 hours :p !
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused:
    BG, Will tell you in about 4 :p hours !

This will explain it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2725247/Portrait-of-a-driver-Chris-Eubank.html

And BG might be about in 4 hours to explain it.

But I won't be. :D
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »

Nah , Only Big Ben had the answer to Eubank, It was called the left hook !! :p:D

Nice Edit ! :p
  • MrsSippiMrsSippi Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I've lived in Brighton for years and love it (particularly North Laines area) but feel I am missing out on so much :cry:. I have lost touch with loads of people so I really need to expand my social circle and get out a bit more :(